C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low coolant warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 06:08 AM
Corvette Poor
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Low coolant warning

My DIC comes on sometimes and says " Low coolant level"...Of course I checked the reservoir and it had coolant in it. Does the coolant need to be up in to the neck of the reservoir ? Could the sensor be going bad ?
Old 03-22-2002, 06:21 AM
Blackjetvette97
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Low coolant warning (Corvette Poor)

Hi all,
Hey Jim, sometimes if you are on a slope, it will register coolant as being low, but it is really not. It is just the fluid leveling out in the O.F resevoir, away from the sensor, thus creating a false low fluid effect for the computer. You can try filling up the overflow resevoir a little more and see if that helps at all. I did this and it helped. DO NOT open up the res. when coolant is hot if you are not experienced in doing this!

Steve
Old 03-22-2002, 06:58 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Low coolant warning (Blackjetvette97)

Keep your eye on it too. One thing you don't want to do is run Dexcool low in the system. Other then that, it is an excellent coolant.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:51 AM
1999 White C5 Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dear Corvette Poor (Jim),

I see your profile shows you own a 1999 C5. I own a 1999 C5 that displayed the "low coolant" message on the DIC also (at 13,288 miles).

There is a TSB #99-06-02-016 "Engine Low Coolant Light Comes On (Inspect Radiator Surge Tank, Replace/Reposition), that applies to all 1997 - 1999 Corvettes.

It instructs replacement of the radiator coolant surge tank on 1997 C5's (built prior to VIN V5104277).

For all 1997 - 1999 C5's, it also instructs inspection and repositioning of the surge tank: "For all vehicles, check the level of the tank by viewing the lower mount on the tank. Less than 2mm (.08 in) of the mounting slot should be visible above the attaching nut. If the gap is greater than 2mm (.08 in) gap, loosen the surge tank and hold in a downward position to achieve less than a 2mm (.08 in) gap above the attaching nut. Tighten the bottom nut first, then both top nuts. Tighten." (The lower mount is opposite the fill lid, on the engine compartment side of the tank.)

The TSB also states the light may come on if the float in the tank is sticking or the switch connector in improperly connected. The bulletin does not say what to do if the float is sticking, but I assume you would have to replace the surge tank and float.

This problem was one of 18 defects in my 1999 C5 during the first 20,094 miles (including three breakdowns on the road). I hope you have not had as much trouble as I have. Good luck.

1999 White C5 Coupe
Old 03-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Had the same problem, especially when it got cold. Took it in under warranty and they replaced the sensor. Looked like it worked for awhile but then it started doing it again intermittently. The second time they replaced the tank and sensor. Been working great ever since.

Get notified of new replies

To Low coolant warning

Quick Reply: Low coolant warning