C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G6X3 cam in LS3 installation plus pictures - unique 2 piece timing cover problems

Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
aweil
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default G6X3 cam in LS3 installation plus pictures - unique 2 piece timing cover problems

Much thanks to Adam4782947389 for all his help!

Radiator out:

top of 2 piece timing cover off:

old cam out, new cam in. About 1.5-1.75 hours to this point. I made tools to keep the lifters up that go through the holes in the front of the block behind the cam retainer plate. Glad I did! One lifter fell onto the cam when the tool was removed.

Cam gear installed dot to dot, ready to degree. This was a real PITA since it was really hard to see the lower gear, and there was severely limited room to move the cam and install the gear. I ended up drawing the line from dot tooth to the tooth on the other side of the gear, clocking the cam properly with no timing chain, then installing the chain on the gear and the gear on the cam. Nevermind what would happen if the torrington bearing or cam pin eccentric on the gear fell into the oilpan while trying to do this....

My sweet homemade timing tape for degreeing in my cam. I was 3 degrees retarded on install as measured with my super accurate measurement equipment, so I advanced the cam 2 degrees, called it good and finished slapping the engine together.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:15 PM
aweil
Pro

Old 07-06-2010, 12:45 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by aweil
Sounds good! Raced the Mustang recently?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:46 PM
aweil
Pro

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Sounds good! Raced the Mustang recently?
ford motor is at the machine shop, should be finished up soon. I've got plans for it, and it's going in a GM car.....

Get notified of new replies

To G6X3 cam in LS3 installation plus pictures - unique 2 piece timing cover problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G6X3 cam in LS3 installation plus pictures - unique 2 piece timing cover problems