C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column Lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Lowan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Column Lock problem

Hello All,
I could use a little help. The Steering Column Lock on my 2000 6-speed Vette intermittently stays locked after startup making the car inoperable. So far, I've been able to unlock it by shaking the steering wheel back an forth quickly while turning the ignition key. It sometimes takes 20 or 30 tries to get it to unlock. There was a recall on this problem in 2005 and I had the work done then, but it's happening again now in 2010. I heard there may have been a second recall on this same problem because the first recall didn't work. The way the problem always starts out for me is that the dashboard displays the message "Remove ignition key and wait 10 seconds to restart". Whenever this happens, the steering column locks and stays locked until I try to start the car multiple times as described above. Also, in a possibly related matter, I occasionally get a display message saying that I need to service multple things like "Service Ride Control" and "Service Traction Control". These are apparently false warnings because I can always clear them by turning off the ignition and restarting. These messages never prevent me from operating the car and the car runs normally afterward. I only mention this because it may be related to the Steering Column Lock problem I'm experiencing. Also, I'm concerned that the Steering Column will lock up on me while I'm driving...Heaven Forbid!!! Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Thanks, Lowan
Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

You need to buy the aftermarket CLB kit right now! Do not mess with the dealer.

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock problem