C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to "tighten" cigarette lighter

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Stryker707
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to "tighten" cigarette lighter

I recently purchased a combo mount/charger/fm transmitter for my phone that inserts into the cigarette lighter. The problem is, once in, the whole cigarette lighter tube housing rolls around. The phone mount I have plugged into itself is firmly in place, just the whole cigarette lighter enclosure rotates.

I have no such problem with the additional cigarette lighter in the arm rest (that one stays put), but placing the phone mount there renders it useless.

My question is this: How can I "tighten" the main cigarette lighter so the housing doesn't roll around? I really don't know how to deal with this, but if it's some simple steps to follow I have tools and time.

Much appreciated.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:39 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there is a front and rear half to the lighter outlet and they screw together. its just come loose. if you unscrew it completely the back half will come off and the front half can slide out of the hole in the console. that's how its removed. the plastic is sandwiched between the lips on either side of the lighter.

fixing it will be a bit of a pain. you'll probably have to remove the radio bezel, or at least detach it and pull it out a little. then hold the front half of the lighter shell still and rotate the back, screw it back in until its snug against the back of the console and all should be well.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Stryker707
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mcgilles! I'm going to give this a shot as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the quick reply. Another reason why this forum is such a great community.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:36 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't short it out.

disconnect the battery.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:45 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

good luck! and as imavettegirl points out do be careful not to short it out while doing this. if you are just using your fingers you should be safe. if you are pulling the whole radio bezel you can unplug the lighter outlet from behind, fix it, then plug it back in. or disconnect the battery to be on the safe side!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Pres712
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fingers

Mine was loose and I just stuck my finger in and twisted it tight. Righty tighty. Don't stick your finger in all the way or you may light up! It's a barrel within a barrel that is screwed together. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

to he radio bezel out, you need to remove the center console....
If you have a Vert to do that you need to remove the rear waterfall..

Get notified of new replies

To How to "tighten" cigarette lighter

Quick Reply: How to "tighten" cigarette lighter