C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Z06 Battery/Charging Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 PM
znewts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2003 Z06 Battery/Charging Problems!!

Hey Guys--I'd really appreciate your help here. I did do a search but wanted to make my own post too.

I have a 2003 Z06 with 52k on it and this is what's going on. Car is currently running an Optima Red Top.

I have never had a problem with the battery/starting either. I pulled into the gas station today, filled her up, and when I went to turn it over ,right as the engine started to turn over the car went dead. No instrument display power, no clicking, nothing.

I had somebody try to jump me but that didn't work--thus I end up calling AAA. While waiting for AAA I noticed something very odd though. About every 10 minutes the car would seem to get some kind of "power" back as I"d see the underhood light get 100% bright all of a sudden, and when turning the key to on, my stereo, dash, and valentine would all turn on, but when I would go to turn it over it'd go totally dead again.

When AAA finally showed up--we were able to jump it and start it up fine. After letting it sit for about 10 minutes while running I shut it off and tried to start it back up--SAME problem!

We jumped it again and I was able to drive it home--but while driving home the voltage on the DIC kept jumping around from 13.7-13.2-12.7 and back up and down. The radar detector was randomly turning on and off (it's hardwired) and when I finally parked the ligths even started to dim for a second and the voltage was giong down to 12.5 or so and than back up to 13.x

What is going on? The battery is only about a year old. Is it the alternator? Battery? Any advice would be appreciated here!

Thanks
Zach
Old 07-14-2010, 07:26 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

First places to check would be battery connections for snugness, ground integrity.......
Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree!

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 Z06 Battery/Charging Problems!!

Quick Reply: 2003 Z06 Battery/Charging Problems!!