C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Went Off In the Middle of the Night!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:16 PM
AnteVenom
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Daytona Jam 1 Veteran

Default Horn Went Off In the Middle of the Night!

At about 1 am this morning the horn(s) on my 1999 Coupe started blaring for no reason.

I just checked for any codes in the DIC and there was only one current one for having no tire sensors.

A short bit of background is that last fall I did not have a horn at all and after working with the great guys on the forum I managed to resolve that issue by replacing relay #36 and fuse #11 under the hood.

While this gave me a horn it was a horn that did not sound quite right. Like little car's Meep Meep sound instead of what I would have expected.

Anyway there was no further issues with the horn until this morning and I cannot even say honestly when I remember actually using the horn last.

The blaring horn this morning happened two times about ten minutes apart before I removed relay #36 to put off the problem. Each time the horn did not react at all to anything I did with the key fob.

What it did react to was when I started the engine the blaring horn noise (of maybe two horns together) became much less loud as if it had become one lower volumed horn. This noise happened to go away when I slightly touched the center of the steering wheel where you would press to beep the horn.

This process was consistent for both episodes.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 AM
AllVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this link
Old 07-24-2010, 05:11 PM
FirethornC5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AllVette
I followed this thread. When I purchased my C5 earlier this year the horns didn't work at all and had a blown horn fuse. I replaced the fuse and now the relay was stuck engaged and got hot to the touch very quickly. A constant 12v at the horn pigtail further made me believe that the horn membrane was stuck on. I looked on the fuse box cover and there was a line kinda burnt in the cover right where the horn relay would be located.

This lead me to believe that the car was parked somewhere in storage over the Winter and the horn pad got stuck and the horns sounded, blew both horns and/or the fuse.

A brand new battery in the car also made me think this too.

So, I pulled the horn pad/air bag per the link tutorial. When I got the horn membrane out and tested for continuity, it worked fine. Not stuck closed/on. The membrane had dents in it from the horn pad resting up against it....so I thought...if I flip the membrane over the horn pad will hit the membrane in a different spot. I gave it shot and it worked!! I now had 12v only when the horn pad was pressed. I headed to Advance Auto Parts (cause I work for a subsidiary company of theirs and get a discount) and picked up two horns. The horns were the same brand...same Italian horns as the factory ones. I only had to slightly modify the horn connectors to the low and hi notes to get the connectors to mount.

It's been about 3 months and it still works.

If need be I will buy a membrane. You could give this a try or just buy a membrane and follow the link on how to remove the membrane.

-Joel

Get notified of new replies

To Horn Went Off In the Middle of the Night!

Quick Reply: Horn Went Off In the Middle of the Night!