C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper steering column bearing failure... How do I fix it??

Old 07-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Foxracer117
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper steering column bearing failure... How do I fix it??

I started hearing grinding and popping noises in my steering column lately. Sounded like it was coming from right behind the wheel in the upper column. Today, my steering locked up on me while turning into the neighborhood. I muscled it and heard something break but saved myself from wrecking the car. It drove back home just fine except that the steering wheel is now loose. I can keep the steering wheel straight and it will slide side to side about an inch or so. I took the column cover off to get a look at it and a small piece of broken metal along with a steel ball fell out. This leads me to believe that the upper column bearing has failed. Does that sound correct? I will post videos tomorrow morning. How do I go about removing the steering wheel and fixing this? Or is it best to let the stealership do this job? Don't want to set off the air bag. Help please.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Foxracer117
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Video of the popping sound prior to breaking something internal.

Video of steering wheel movement side to side.

Pic of the steel ***** that fell out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upper steering column bearing failure... How do I fix it??