C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:50 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Clutch Pedal Spring Question

So is this spring supposed to help return the clutch pedal or is it to help make the clutch pedal easier to push down?

I'm reading other Vette chat boards and both claims are being made ... so there is apparently some confusion in the community on it's actual purpose.

The GM shop manual says if the clutch pedal doesn't fully return to check to make sure the spring isn't broken, so I'm taking that to mean the spring is meant to help keep the pedal up.

I know a lot of guys were removing the clutch pedal spring when the pedal would stay on the floor during high RPM shifts; claiming it help prevent that issue. Seems removing the clutch spring would aggravate the issue if it was actually helping push the pedal to the top.

So exactly what is the spring doing?

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 07-31-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:34 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That little spring really couldn't do much to help push the pedal down,It's a clutch pedal return spring-try moving the pedal with the master cylinder pushrod disconnected,and you'll see-
I never understood the reasoning behind removing it if the pedal sticks on the floor-like that little $2 spring could possibly have anything to do with the proper operation of the clutch?
Seems like someone would have come up with a real expensive,Corvette taxed,"heavy duty racing clutch pedal spring" if that was the case...
Old 07-31-2010, 11:26 AM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a "clutch pedal assist spring", and it is there to aid in depressing the clutch pedal, according to GM.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:30 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Hummm ... two responses and two different answers, just like I've come across in other chat boards.

Some say it makes the pedal feel softer by helping push the pedal down (an assist spring), and some say the spring helps return the pedal to the up position (a return spring).

Some say it should be on the pedal to ensure the pedal is all the way up and to prevent the throw-out bearing from possibly being engaged when the clutch is out and the pedal is up.

Clutch pedal spring ... a big mystery it seems.

What's the real story?

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 07-31-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It does Both. In the upper part of the travel, it pushes UP. In the lower part of the travel it pushes DOWN.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:23 PM
AllVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Pedal Spring Question

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Spring Question