C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need electrical help! Code P1637

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by dogboy
2000 coupe here with same code/dic "service engine soon" Intermittent. problem started a week ago, checked connections & upon looking at starter solenoid connections I noticed it wiggled allot but nut was on tight . I squeezed my arm into small accessible area after disconnecting spark plug wire (# 6) & I reached down to the bolt coming out of solenoid, grabbed by hand to feel & the plastic surrounding it disintegrated & bolt with wires attached comes out of solenoid altogether. So I found my problem. Now I have unstart able car. It also has Long tube headers so its a PITA to get to. I guess I need a new starter solenoid. Does the solenoid separate or do I need an entire unit? This sucks BTW. But its better than getting stuck on the road somewhere.
IF it were mine I would either get the old starter rebuilt or get a new one... the solenoid is shot, the starter lives in a pretty hostile environment so you'd expect it to not much last longer either even with a new solenoid on an old starter... IMHO
Old 05-22-2015, 04:08 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
IF it were mine I would either get the old starter rebuilt or get a new one... the solenoid is shot, the starter lives in a pretty hostile environment so you'd expect it to not much last longer either even with a new solenoid on an old starter... IMHO
True I will look for a new starter & be done with it.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

2000 coupe here with same code/dic "service engine soon" Intermittent. problem started a week ago, checked connections & upon looking at starter solenoid connections I noticed it wiggled allot but nut was on tight . I squeezed my arm into small accessible area after disconnecting spark plug wire (# 6) & I reached down to the bolt coming out of solenoid, grabbed by hand to feel & the plastic surrounding it disintegrated & bolt with wires attached comes out of solenoid altogether. So I found my problem. Now I have unstart able car. It also has Long tube headers so its a PITA to get to. I guess I need a new starter solenoid. Does the solenoid separate or do I need an entire unit? This sucks BTW. But its better than getting stuck on the road somewhere.
what brand headers do you have? a lot of the newer ones srop in and out with out a problem, might just be easier to take off the header

I have the old style kooks that go in from the top its a PITA to remove them
Old 05-24-2015, 05:43 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Stroker87
what brand headers do you have? a lot of the newer ones srop in and out with out a problem, might just be easier to take off the header

I have the old style kooks that go in from the top its a PITA to remove them
Long tube Belanger headers with stage 8 lock bolts. It looks like it may be possible to squeeze out the starter but not sure until under car.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:12 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

I got the sucker out. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Jacked up 12" off ground & dropped front wheels on some steel ramps I had, plenty enough room to get under there Got the header off & 3 bolt flange connection without any difficulty. I pulled out the 2 bolts & removed wires, bingo, that was it. Now waiting for new starter in mail. 1 week delivery time. I spent about 3 hrs removing & probably need 4hrs to get it back in. Now to lick my wounds & take a boatload of ibuprophen until next time.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

I got the sucker out. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Jacked up 12" off ground & dropped front wheels on some steel ramps I had, plenty enough room to get under there Got the header off & 3 bolt flange connection without any difficulty. I pulled out the 2 bolts & removed wires, bingo, that was it. Now waiting for new starter in mail. 1 week delivery time. I spent about 3 hrs removing & probably need 4hrs to get it back in. Now to lick my wounds & take a boatload of ibuprophen until next time.

I did H/C/I on the 10th still have the scars lol
Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Just put in new starter & started right up. Damn code P1637 still showing up but voltage reads 13.5?? WTF. If a fusible link is bad (I didn't see anything unusual while under there) would car even start? Oh yea minimal scars but some Indian burn marks on arm from squeezing in tight space.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:54 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

I had alternator tested as Good on a bench today so I may need to look at those fusible links one more time. Volts show 13-13.3 when driving but drop to 12.5- 12.8 when A/c is on & lights on. If I bump down the blower to low volts will climb up a bit.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I had alternator tested as Good on a bench today so I may need to look at those fusible links one more time. Volts show 13-13.3 when driving but drop to 12.5- 12.8 when A/c is on & lights on. If I bump down the blower to low volts will climb up a bit.
What are you using to monitor that voltage when you are driving?????

If its the IPC volt meter or digital DIC reading,,, you are NOT seeing TRUE battery voltage.

You are seeing the voltage reading being supplied buy the "IGNITION SWITCH" which is way different than the voltage read directly off the battery or BaTT terninal on the alternator.

The ignition switch is fed directly off the battery buss BUT,,, the contacts inside the ignition switch can get dirty corroded burnt and will cause a voltage loss (as seen on that IPC meter).

Test the voltage out of the Cigar lighter or directly on the Battery terminals for a true picture of what the charging system is doing.

You will need a good DC Volt/OHM/AMP meter if you own a C5!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:28 AM
G8One2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you purchase a new OEM AC Delco alternator from the dealership?

Last edited by G8One2; 06-05-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:38 AM
G8One2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only reason i ask is because i had a similar issue on my Pontiac G8. I purchased an aftermarket alternator through Amazon that was brand new, appeared to work and charge properly but would still throw faults. Sent it back for an exchange, and the same thing happened with the replacement. I wasn't until i spend the cash on an OEM unit from the dealership for it to work properly. You can find a thread to reference here http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...ght=alternator

Last edited by G8One2; 06-05-2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:19 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Bill Curlee : Yes I was using the dash gauge & DIC readings. They were bouncing between 13.3 to 12 but know always in the 11's. I ran some readings with a hand held meter & got these readings. With ignition switch off
S pin 7.8-8.1V
F pin 0
L pin 0.1v
With switch in on position:
S pin 7.6-8.0
F pin 0.1v
L pin 9.75 v

Battery shows 11.8V when running meter from Pos to Neg post.

I ran a heavy gauge wire from pos battery post to alt battery & got the same 11.8 v read.

Stroker 87: No I still have the original Alternator.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:40 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Where are you reading these voltges???

Your battery is LOW!

What are the readings with engine running??
Old 06-06-2015, 07:34 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Where are you reading these voltges???

Your battery is LOW!

What are the readings with engine running??
Used a multi meter for readings.
BUT !!!! I fixed the sucka. it was the wire connection off the starter solenoid. I didn't catch it last time. Right where the wire connects to the ring it was loose & only hanging on by a thread. It broke off upon inspection. It would be the D wire, ( thick red wire with fusible link), not the larger battery one. I also replaced the other small wire while I was there. It now runs in charging mode & code is history) Thanks for all the help
Old 06-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Used a multi meter for readings.
BUT !!!! I fixed the sucka. it was the wire connection off the starter solenoid. I didn't catch it last time. Right where the wire connects to the ring it was loose & only hanging on by a thread. It broke off upon inspection. It would be the D wire, ( thick red wire with fusible link), not the larger battery one. I also replaced the other small wire while I was there. It now runs in charging mode & code is history) Thanks for all the help

Good job! Now,,, Drive it like you stole it!!

Bill
Old 09-19-2015, 09:06 PM
chachi361
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thanks yall

Just want to thank u gentleman for putting me in the right path to fix this problem. Would of never looked into thoes fusable links. Mine were corroded at the ends causeing the charging fault.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:37 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I have been getting this code P1637 H as well, I took off the passenger side header and went to the solinoid on the starter. I did notice that the main large bolt, when I tried to loosen it the whole solinoid turn slightly, not the actual bolt but the whole solinoid , could this be the problem, the terminals at the alt are tight along with the grnd wires, I checked. Hope bill can advise this.

Get notified of new replies

To Need electrical help! Code P1637

Old 02-11-2016, 05:53 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Where are all the electrical guru's why can't you answer my question.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:29 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Just adding my .02. Ive never had the whole solenoid turn. Are you sure it wasn't the nut along with the wires turning?? Either way, that shouldn't be happening.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:35 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZZ06
Just adding my .02. Ive never had the whole solenoid turn. Are you sure it wasn't the nut along with the wires turning?? Either way, that shouldn't be happening.
NO, the whole solinoid is not turning, just the top portion where the wires are connected, turning slightly.

Its weird because on the DIC I am getting code p1637 in history not current, sometimes it comes on sometimes not. My voltage seems ok on the DIC initial start up 14.2 then gradually going to 13.5 volts.

Last edited by corvet786c; 02-11-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Need electrical help! Code P1637