C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Shift Cable Replacement Procedure Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:44 PM
dezcapt51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cable

Originally Posted by 99Vette952
99 Vette automatic. The gear shift is sliding freely. I crawled under the car, and saw the back plastic clip on the trans was still connected. I went up to the front, and can't see a thing, so I am guess that what the problem is. I would like to ''see'' the cable end somehow before I go ripping into it, and find out it's something else. Anyone have any ideas? or pictures? The exhaust has a bunch of bolts on it, but it looks like it can be taken off. Tunnel ram has a 20 bolts, but they don't look bad either. Some of the exhaust bolts are rusty. Just wondering if this is too big of a job for me or not, I'm guessing. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
If yours is broke at the shifter end and not the transmission end it can be fixed from inside the car. Remove the console until u c the 4 bolts holding the shifter in place .Remove them if it lifts up freely then the cable is disconnected at the shift lever. Lift it up enough to c the cable laying in the tunnel. The plastic grommet probably broke off the end of the shift lever. The original is black and rubber looking but has a harder end that attaches to the cable . The replacement DORMAN 14041[2nd smallest one ] is white and snaps on the lever then snaps in the cable. Check the cable to make sure the end is clear. The broken end was still in mine. You can pull the cable forward to get more slack and put the lever in D1 . It should snap with little force from pliers.
Hope this helped.
The following users liked this post:
Benji38mar (12-08-2019)
Old 10-21-2015, 07:47 AM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dezcapt51
If yours is broke at the shifter end and not the transmission end it can be fixed from inside the car. Remove the console until u c the 4 bolts holding the shifter in place .Remove them if it lifts up freely then the cable is disconnected at the shift lever. Lift it up enough to c the cable laying in the tunnel. The plastic grommet probably broke off the end of the shift lever. The original is black and rubber looking but has a harder end that attaches to the cable . The replacement DORMAN 14041[2nd smallest one ] is white and snaps on the lever then snaps in the cable. Check the cable to make sure the end is clear. The broken end was still in mine. You can pull the cable forward to get more slack and put the lever in D1 . It should snap with little force from pliers.
Hope this helped.
This post right here helped me fix mine with the exact same issue on my C6, for those that get to this post from the internet.
The following users liked this post:
FRChilln (08-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:46 PM
joey1964
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken shift cable

Well I had a joyous experience on my 3rd day of ownership of my first Corvette 1998. I drove it cautiously to my local pwan shop to browse through their firearms and upon leaving, my car wont shift into any gear, it was stuck in park. At first i began to freak out but sat and thought what could the problem be. I figured since there was no resistance moving the shifter that maybe the cable had somehow broke with NO warning. Anyway I had it towed to my local repair shop and by the time i got to work in my other vehicle the shop owner called me and said my vette was fixed. come to find out the rear plastic bushing that holds the cable on to the transmission end became brittle and broke. He replaced a $10 part but it still cost me $100 for an hour of labor. I asked the repair shop owner to look at the front end of the cable to ensure it too isnt about to leave me stranded. I wont know until tomorrow if itr is good or bad. I have read on this forum where these cables have been breaking so now i am wondering for the price of a $60 cable if i should just have the mechanice replace it with a new one versus risking be a long wat from home and having the cable itself break. Any suggestions from anyone who experienced the same issue.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:07 PM
joey1964
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had similar incident

My 1998 vette left me stranded the other day, come to find out the aft shifter cable end has a cheap plastic bushing inside the cable lillipop that is notorious for breaking thus causing the cable to literally fall off the transmission shifting linkage as with what happened to me. I called the dealer to ask if GM has made any improvements to this poor design and the answer was "NO". I feel as though GM should recall these cables and replace with a cable designed like the ones used on the Monte Carlo and other GM vehicles.

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Hey guys. I just became another victim of the dreaded broken shift cable. I had to manually shift the trans linkage the other day to get home praying I wouldnt need to use reverse. The cable itself broke on the back side of the bracket that bolts on to the trans itself. Ive seen the 'official' procedure on how to replace it but something tells me you shouldnt have to remove the hpipe and tunnel plate for this job. Question, has anyone here ever fished or fed the new cable through by using the old cable to pull it through or even a electricians fishing tape? I dont see why you cant pull it through from the back side. Its short and somewhat of a straight shot and the cable should be flexible enough for this, just feed it through the console where the shifter is. So, anyone try this? Sounds easier and better than removing all that crap . Any help or advice/ideas would be greatly apreciated!

Btw, I have an aftermarket xpipe which allows me to remove the rear section of pipe allowing me access to the cable bracket on the trans.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:27 PM
hectorinieves
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 1969 corvette. I replace shifter cable but don't push completely the control lever. the cable bent.

Quick Reply: Shift Cable Replacement Procedure Question