C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil life reset

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default oil life reset

I know you can reset the oil life meter by pressing the throttle 3 times with the ignition on. I usually reset it by displaying the oil life readout on the DIC and holding reset for a few seconds. I seem to recall that working, but maybe I'm losing my mind.

it resets to saying ___%, but the next time I start the car I get change oil soon and the percentage is back to where it was before I reset. tried engine running and not running. what gives?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:57 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

hmm..usually resets no problem...did you do it again?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:01 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I use the 3x gas pedal procedure for mine.

If I recall correctly, the button reset procedure takes a deliberate press of the button for a few seconds to zero out the oil life monitor.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:02 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99

usually the car off with ignition on but not started does the trick. try that a couple times.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
turn on car (engine started or not) get the Change Oil Soon message on dic. hit reset, it automatically takes me to oil life remaining. press reset and hold for 3 seconds or so. cluster beeps once, the display changes to oil life remaining _ _ _% and stays there. next time I start the car, I get chance oil soon again, hit reset and the oil life calculation is back to whatever <10% it was before I hit reset the previous time.

I keep forgetting about the 3 gas petal presses thing because the DIC reset button is a much more intuitive way to do this. but I end up driving a while resetting each time and it keeps unresetting every time I start the car. eventually it will go away, either the reset finally works or I did the throttle thing to reset.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:37 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by memphis_vette

usually the car off with ignition on but not started does the trick. try that a couple times.

lol, i messed with it for 15 minutes one time and had to drive home and do a search on here. make sure the key is in the on position with the engine off and just hold reset for a few seconds

Get notified of new replies

To oil life reset

Quick Reply: oil life reset