C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 Shifter has 2 nuetral positions ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 AM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default M6 Shifter has 2 nuetral positions ?

Hey guys

I swapped my MN12 Z06 tranny out for a fully built M6 not to long ago. One thing I noticed is that the neutral has 2 positions. One position is straight up and down and then the shifter can be bumped to the passenger side a bit and sit with a lean to the pasengerside. Things I have tried:

- I took the shifter out and inspected...looked fine
- Made sure and re-seated shifter in the tranny tunnel into the bracket on the torque tube.

Still same result.

Not sure if all M6's do this as my M12 did not. The reason I am looking at things is that my car doesn't want to go onto Reverse when car is cold. The tranny is not very old and was inspected before it went into the car. Once car has been up and running the reverse gear is attainable and its nice and smooth...no grinding. I don't hear any funny noises at all. Its like reverse is not even there until the car is fully warmed up. New pilot bushing was installed when i put the new tranny/clutch in about 1500 miles ago.

I will try doing a clutch fluid swap even though its clean and then try adjusting the master a little to see if the clutch has worn in a bit causing this issue as its a new ACT Twin clutch with about 1500 miles on it.

Lets hear your thoughs.

thx

Last edited by MotleyDrew; 08-15-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

My MM6 doesn't do that and didn't with the stock shifter or the MGW it has now. Sounds like an internal transmission problem to me. If it was a clutch problem I would think you would have a problem with it going into first as well.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

My guess is the SPRING inside the tranny that centers the shift lever/shift linkage is weak or broken. No need to fear. Just up-grade the shifter with one that has additional centering springs in side the shifter.

My aftermarket shifter of choice is the KIRBAN Ripper Shifter. My 98 MN6 had **** poor fifth/sixth to third/forth neutral gate return force. It would pause part way just like you explain. I also found it way too easy to accidentally jump into second when intending to grab third.

The KIRBAN ELIMINATED all that stuff.

I really like the KIRBAN and everyone that drives my car liked it also.

BC
Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

My car will stick to the 5th/6th gear side too. It's in the tranny because I pulled the shifter and reachede down and turned the shift rod and it still stick there.

Actually, I had the tranny rebuilt and it was sticking but now does seem to be coming back around and getting better. 1st still doesn't work very well though and the tranny still needs something done there.

Bill - Does that Kirban have springs in it to help with the centering?

Peter
Old 08-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
My car will stick to the 5th/6th gear side too. It's in the tranny because I pulled the shifter and reachede down and turned the shift rod and it still stick there.

Actually, I had the tranny rebuilt and it was sticking but now does seem to be coming back around and getting better. 1st still doesn't work very well though and the tranny still needs something done there.

Bill - Does that Kirban have springs in it to help with the centering?

Peter
YES! It has internal centering springs and they work very well.

It also has shift stops that I have adjusted to my advantage. The C5 and C6 trannys have there own internal shift stops but there not very pronounced.

I adjusted my KIRBAN shift stops to contact just when the transmission is fully in gear. When I'm shifting under pressure and quickly, feeling a SOLID STOP is reassurance that its FULLY in gear!

BC
Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Just a little trivia...... No one has a MN6 or MN12 transmission in their C5. MN6 is the RPO code for a C5 with a manual transmission. The transmission is either a MM6 (Coupe, Vert, Hardtop) or the M12 (Z06).
Old 08-15-2010, 01:07 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
My guess is the SPRING inside the tranny that centers the shift lever/shift linkage is weak or broken. No need to fear. Just up-grade the shifter with one that has additional centering springs in side the shifter.

My aftermarket shifter of choice is the KIRBAN Ripper Shifter. My 98 MN6 had **** poor fifth/sixth to third/forth neutral gate return force. It would pause part way just like you explain. I also found it way too easy to accidentally jump into second when intending to grab third.

The KIRBAN ELIMINATED all that stuff.

I really like the KIRBAN and everyone that drives my car liked it also.

BC
Bill whats the cost of that shifter?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:16 PM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

thanks for the info...I already have a B&M Sport shifter with the isolator on it. The shifter looked fine on inspection.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:18 PM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I did the same thing as you and saw the same result.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
Bill whats the cost of that shifter?
I purchased it from ZIP Product years ago when I was at Carlisle. I really dont remember.

There on line for $189. at Kirban

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/pro...%231315-B.html

BC
Old 08-15-2010, 04:26 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Looks decent, I might have to try it out if I dont like the B+M ripper I just bought.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I purchased it from ZIP Product years ago when I was at Carlisle. I really dont remember.

There on line for $189. at Kirban

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/pro...%231315-B.html

BC
Here is the C5 model Kirban shifter
http://www.pfyc.com/VT2001.html
Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I recommend the MGW shifter and Royal Purple Synchromesh synthetic transmission fluid. My MM6 only has 1 neutral.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:57 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

03 z/06 factory shifter was kind of vague as to what gear it wanted to go intoand after a downshift from 5th to 4th suddenly became 5th to 2nd luckiley for me i heard the trans start to scream and i put clutch back in.Read a post by bill c as a respected mechanic and certified horsepower junkie i took his advice and bought a kirban this is by far a quality piece grade 8 hardware ,anodized,stainless built in adjustable stopsand a reduced throw .other shifters have a shorter throw but as you lose leverage it becomes harder to get in gear the kirban is just right only advice locktite all bolts mailorder about $200 cheaper than all others and as good or better you won't be dissappointed
'
Old 08-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

For those reading this post who have experienced a near FATAL drive train engine killing experience by shifting from third gear at RED LINE into second gear,,,,,, when they wanted to grab third gear; up-grading to this type of shifter will significantly help prevent this mistake.

The real prevention to accidentally grabbing the wrong gear is to shift properly and the addition of a shifter with additional centering force will significantly help eliminate this problem.

I frequently see people grab the gear shift lever with their entire FIST. I call it the DEATH GRIP! When you grab the shift **** with your fist, you tend to pronate your hand / arm and when you pull back on the shifter to shift to the 2nd, 4th and 5th gates. That means you have a natural tendency to pull toward your body. Thats how you grab second gear by mistake. Add in the adrenalin of the track or a road course and disaster is a shift away. That's the death scream that K RIPPER is talking about when you grab the wrong gear. The synchro makes a loud siren noise as it strains to match gear speed.

Ive learned that if you have a good shifter that has assist springs and if you use the tips of your fingers when pulling back and the palm of your hand when pushing forward to shift, this problem will not happen.

Once you learn and master this technique, you will find that it is very effective and accurate and if done properly you can shift lightening fast with less chance of a missed or wrong shift.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 08-16-2010 at 11:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
El original (02-17-2017)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 AM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

Update on Reverse issue: Just a heads up on mine...I have an adjustable master and adjusted it a little closer to the floor and i have reverse now. I assume that the clutch has worn a bit and required the adjustment to engage correctly.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

i have a b&m ripper shifter, and the centering spring is VERY strong. it has the shortest throw of all the shifters, but it takes more effort. personally, i love it. i can feel every little thing going on in the transmission. some hate the b&m's though. before, my stock shifter did not center very well.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Working on this problem in my 2000 FRC. I have 2 "neutral" gates as well. The 5-6 gate sticks. I currently have the trans completely torn down to inspect the torsion spring inside.

Get notified of new replies

To M6 Shifter has 2 nuetral positions ?

Quick Reply: M6 Shifter has 2 nuetral positions ?