C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 PM
leemelone
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Yet Another AC Problem

I have a 98 C5 w/87,000 miles. When I replaced the battery recently, the AC started blowing hot air on passenger side. The air also blows mainly out of the defroster vent but keeps changing vents. It will blow cold out of the drivers vents briefly and then back to defrost over and over. I'm getting a BO446 code. I've read the threads on re-indexing the actuator gears but that refers to different codes. I cleared the code and tried disconnecting the battery to reset the actuator with no luck. Is this a vacuum problem? An actuator problem? Or both?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:43 AM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by leemelone
I have a 98 C5 w/87,000 miles. When I replaced the battery recently, the AC started blowing hot air on passenger side. The air also blows mainly out of the defroster vent but keeps changing vents. It will blow cold out of the drivers vents briefly and then back to defrost over and over. I'm getting a BO446 code. I've read the threads on re-indexing the actuator gears but that refers to different codes. I cleared the code and tried disconnecting the battery to reset the actuator with no luck. Is this a vacuum problem? An actuator problem? Or both?
The actuator. The code will refer you to which side in that thread regarding 'reindexing' AC actuators
Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 AM
leemelone
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
The actuator. The code will refer you to which side in that thread regarding 'reindexing' AC actuators
A bad right side actuator (BO446 code) will cause it to keep moving from vent to vent on the left side?
Old 08-29-2010, 05:37 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by leemelone
A bad right side actuator (BO446 code) will cause it to keep moving from vent to vent on the left side?
I don't know what would cause it to keep moving.

The code is an actuator code though and this is a common issue. I'd fix the code first cause obviously the actuator has problems and it controls where the air goes

Get notified of new replies

To Yet Another AC Problem

Quick Reply: Yet Another AC Problem