C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust drone - some thoughts requested

Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Exhaust drone - some thoughts requested

I have a '99 Vette that has LT headers, O/R x-pipe, and currently has a Z06 Ti exhaust..... at WOT its a pretty loud exhaust, and overall, the thing sounds great, but i really wish the exhaust was a little louder....

Some time ago, i had straight pipes built for the car, and that was obnoxiously loud.... more than the loud, was the drone, and even worse, the "kackle" that it made in the 2000rpm range when going up through the rpm range.... that rpm is hit quite often, considering the car has a 3800 stall converter in it...

I was thinking about putting a set of bullets or something on it, with hopes that that will quiet it down a little, and also remove the drone/kackle... I don't have any experience with bullets or resonators, and was wondering if i could get some opinions.....

Will they take care of this??? Would there be any difference whether i put the bullets toward the front of the exhaust, or toward the back (more like where the mufflers currently are)??

Sorry for the stupid question.... Thanks in advance
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 PM
jd86L98
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

GHL Bullets, no drone, quiet at cruise and great at WOT
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried Billy Boat Bullets, drone was unbearable

Have Stingers on 2 cars w long tube headers, no drone on 6 spd and terrific sound, mild drone on A4 and good sound, have Corsa Pace cars on 3rd C5 w lth, quiet at cruiser, very nice under hard acceleration

tried Magna Flow before that and very anemic
Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM
frcslave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Z06 with LG streets, no cats and a Borla catback. Up until about 5 days ago I had the stock Ti system and had the same problem as you... thought it sounded great at WOT but just needed more sound. I picked up the Borlas used for just a bit over what I can sell the Ti's for and I got exactly the sound I was looking for. Hardly any drone with the 6 speed but I would imagine you will have some amount with the A4 - either way the sound is awesome and stays deep throughout the rev range. Good luck!

Gabe
Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

The header design has a lot to do with it as well. I have tried a couple of different headers on the car, the most immediate thing I noticed was drone and I have always had the Ti's on the car.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:11 AM
LuCkYSe7eN11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
I have a '99 Vette that has LT headers, O/R x-pipe, and currently has a Z06 Ti exhaust..... at WOT its a pretty loud exhaust, and overall, the thing sounds great, but i really wish the exhaust was a little louder....

Some time ago, i had straight pipes built for the car, and that was obnoxiously loud.... more than the loud, was the drone, and even worse, the "kackle" that it made in the 2000rpm range when going up through the rpm range.... that rpm is hit quite often, considering the car has a 3800 stall converter in it...

I was thinking about putting a set of bullets or something on it, with hopes that that will quiet it down a little, and also remove the drone/kackle... I don't have any experience with bullets or resonators, and was wondering if i could get some opinions.....

Will they take care of this??? Would there be any difference whether i put the bullets toward the front of the exhaust, or toward the back (more like where the mufflers currently are)??

Corsa xtreme is the best option for you. I have it with long tube headers x pipe and hi flow cats. I dont have any drone until i hit around 100 MPH. It is very very loud at WOT and you can barely hear it in the car at idle and cruise speeds.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

'Drone' is a very subjective term. Everyone has different tolerance levels. Exhaust sound is dependent on a HUGE variety of things, such as: engine, cam, intake, heads, headers, x-pipe, pipe size, pipe length, mufflers, cats, etc, etc. A change in any of those things can have a dramatic impact on exhaust tone.

While someone may accurately state "Brand X has no drone in my car", the odds are that their car is not exactly like yours. Thus your exhaust note will probably end up being somewhat different. I had a big-block '68 Camaro and I went through five sets of mufflers and three sets of pipes before I found the "Goldilocks" exhaust note that was in perfect pitch for my ear.

All I'm trying to say is - it may take some experimentation to get the exhaust note that you consider 'perfect'...........

-
Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How about the Ti bypass mod? It's inexpenisve, effective and no drone.
The following users liked this post:
cor28vettes (03-29-2020)
Old 08-30-2010, 05:32 PM
AJay
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You may want to install a set of high flow cats. If you are catless then they should fix your drone problem if you are already running Ti exhaust.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJay
You may want to install a set of high flow cats. If you are catless then they should fix your drone problem if you are already running Ti exhaust.
This is something I was considering... having some high flow cats should calm the drone and the sound down a bit.... maybe then I could put my straight pipes back on and be happy with it.... the other thing I've always noticed with catless cars is they have that bit of noise always coming from the midpipe area... am I the only one who notices this? this is my third car like that without cats ..... either way, I got q bonus at work today, and might see if I can pick something up for just a little more than what I sell the ti's for.....
Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

I should note, I must not have been clear.....

The car does not drone with the ti's... it drones with the straight pipes...

I love the sound of the ti's but they're not loud enough at idle and normal driving... I need some extra sound... thus my thought of putting bullets into my current straight pipe setup... plus my straights have a sweet set of 4" tips I put on...

I may see what's out there .... wish I knew how loud some of the other exhaust are with catless x pipe and LT's... I don't have the $ to keep trying different exhausts....
Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

I can't find anyone in my area that welds titanium.....
Originally Posted by hamdog
Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

One more thought... when I did the straight, I based them off of a stock c5 exhaust over the axel, then cut off the mufflers and welded on straight pipes.. since I'm stepping down from a 3" x pipe to a 2.5" exhaust, is that compounding and making the drone/kackle worse

Truthfully, the drone wasn't the bad part, it was the awful kackle every time I passed 2k rpms when accelerating... this was everytime, since the high stall forces me to pass this rpm constantly
Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hamdog
i have yet to hear a better sounding exhaust system on a vette.
The following users liked this post:
cor28vettes (03-29-2020)
Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Does the ti bypass mod make that much of a difference? Like how much louder? I understand the idea, its kinda like a Borla exhaust for an fbody.. but i dont wanna do it if its a very marginal difference

Thx all!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Does the ti bypass mod make that much of a difference? Like how much louder? I understand the idea, its kinda like a Borla exhaust for an fbody.. but i dont wanna do it if its a very marginal difference

Thx all!
i have the bypass in mine. not much difference at idle, but at higher rpms it really comes alive!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Hmmm... see I want more noise at idle and normal cruising / accelerating speeds... with no cats, xpipe and LT's, and a cam, its nice at WOT but still mellow at idle... some think its loud, but I don't

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust drone - some thoughts requested

Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Rohan
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmm... see I want more noise at idle and normal cruising / accelerating speeds... with no cats, xpipe and LT's, and a cam, its nice at WOT but still mellow at idle... some think its loud, but I don't

If someone could figure that out we would have the perfect exhaust system.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:03 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

I've searched everywhere to find someone that can weld the Ti exhaust and do the Ti bypass mod, and no one in the Pittsburgh area does it.... most people either think i'm nuts for wanting to weld Ti, or are like "what?" .... Seems that nearly noone is setup to weld Ti, since its an expensive metal, and you have to shield both sides of the weld with pure Argon....

Nonetheless, i'm still interested in putting a different exhaust on.... What do you folks think about the exhausts that are basically just 2 bullet type mufflers, such as teh Borla Stingers, or the OBX catback, or the NXT exhaust, etc....????

Has anyone had one of these on a car with LT's, no cats, and a stalled auto???

What i'd ultimately like is to have a fellow enthusiast in my local area with one of these exhausts to be willing to swap me for an hour, so i could see if the sound is bearable... but i'm probably not going to find that, so i gotta rely on everyone's thoughts...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jd86L98
GHL Bullets, no drone, quiet at cruise and great at WOT

I have Long Tube Headers/Cats/Vararam/Heads/Cam.. etc...

I originally had the B&B Bullets and the resonance/drone was ridiculous.
I had the Corsa Touring and it was nice, but too high pitched. No drone though.
I had the Z06 Ti's, but they were way too quiet.

I now have the GHL Bullets and LOVE the deep muscle sound, and no drone.
They are the BEST of both worlds.

Of course I recommend that you go to a local Corvette show to listen to various systems yourself.
Its the only way you will be one that sounds RIGHT to you.

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 09-03-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust drone - some thoughts requested