C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding new AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question regarding new AC Compressor

I am going to be looking at a car that had a new AC compressor put in. I was told the system was charged but that it needed to be charged again and oil put in the compressor. Is there a way to charge a system without running the compressor? If the compressor was run during an AC charge with no additional oil added what kind of damage can potentially be done, if any? Can oil easily be added tot he compressor once it is installed and hooked up to everything?

I just want to know what I could potentially be getting into. I'll admit, I don't know much about AC systems. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

that sounds a bit strange that it would need compressor oil. the compressor is supposed to be filled with oil before it is put on the car. running the ac without oil in the compressor may ruin it. they probably meant that the system needed to be charged with oil. the compressor needs to be filled with oil, but the system also needs to be charged with oil.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:53 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Does a new compressor come pre oiled? I dont think they put any oil in it before installing it.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Whew! You have quite a dilemma. First.... some compressors come with oil and some don’t. I’ve seen it either way. Either way, the service tag will tell you. Now,, your relying on second hand info which could be correct or incorrect.

The ONLY way to really know is to remove the compressor and drain what oil is in there and then add the correct oil and amount.
-Was the system FLUSHED before it was repaired/compressor replaced.
- Was the receiver dryer replaced? All that matters a LOT!

Each component:

- Compressor
- Evaporator
- Condenser
- Receiver Dryer

All have a specific quantity of OIL that they get if flushed or or component was replaced.

Its a critical step to get it correct. You can add a small amount of extra oil and not hurt the system because the receiver dryer stores any extra oil that the system has.

Was the system properly vacuumed out and filled when it was first reassembled?

Man,,, I hate when things like this happens. It makes things very difficult. I would hate to smoke a good compressor and so does your wallet.

Things to ask and figure out.

1. Why was the oil not checked or added before it was reassembled.

2. Why did the initial charge leak out!?!?

3. YES. The compressor will SMOKE without the proper oil level.

4. Yes, you can add oil to the system once it sealed up but,, its a whole lot more money and you don’t know how much you need to add.

5. If it were me,,,, I would DEDUCT the price off the sale for a new compressor and then remove the compressor and check for oil. Lots of work but,,, its got to be done.

Were new O rings used and was the correct oil added to the other components.

6. Was the receiver dryer replaced??????

Was the orifice restrictor tube (it meters the amount of R-134 that sprays into the evaporator) replaced??? VERY IMPORTANT! It has a fine screen on the inlet that filters out debris. If the old system crashed, that screen will be full of crap! Before you recharge the system,, pull out that tube and check it for debris. If the compressor died, and there was Freon in the system, that will show you the facts…

I hate to be doom and gloom but them there are the facts.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 09-17-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 PM
vettekidc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude worst come to worst, I paid 180 shiped on that auction site for a reman compressor WITH warranty, accumulator, and orphice tube as a kit- It came pre oiled, I added 2 extra oz to that.

The shrader valves(service ports) are usually culprits of the freon leaks, in addition on gms the compressor body seals leak.

I have yet to hear of anyone needing lines, or a evaporator core (in dash) on a c5 yet.

Ac work is pretty simple once you kinda get a feel for it.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Wow Bill, fantastic info. Thanks a lot!

Get notified of new replies

To Question regarding new AC Compressor

Quick Reply: Question regarding new AC Compressor