C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Competition Mode Question

Old 03-30-2002, 08:12 PM
johnma
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Competition Mode Question

Recently I've been reading that if you press the traction control button and hold for 5 seconds it goes into the competition mode. Well, I've tried and tried with no luck. Stationary or moving, same no result. Is this one of those "I just saw Bigfoot, and he was being abducted by aliens" rumours?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 03-30-2002, 08:29 PM
no cure
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Competition Mode Question (johnma)

if you have Active Handling, and you hold the traction control button for 5 seconds while stationary, it goes into Competition Mode, and the the DIC will indicates it. if you have Active Handling and you hold the traction control button for 5 seconds while stationary, and nothing happens, then your car is broken and you should check your codes and begin the diagnosis/repair cycle.

cheers,
David
99 black FRC "slightly modded"
Old 03-31-2002, 05:08 PM
RCswish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Competition Mode Question (no cure)

While your Corvette is stationary, press the TC button longer than 5 sec. Mine takes about 10 sec. She must be a slow learner. Also read this post on the same subject is so funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=259195

[Modified by RCswish, 9:09 PM 3/31/2002]
Old 03-31-2002, 11:36 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Recently I've been reading that if you press the traction control button and hold for 5 seconds it goes into the competition mode. Well, I've tried and tried with no luck. Stationary or moving, same no result.
Active Handling was an option in 2000. For Generation I Active Handling, the car may or may not be moving when the button is depressed, but MUST be stopped when the five seconds times out. Competitive Driving will then appear on the DIC. If this does not work, I would suspect youir car does not have the Active Handling option.
Ed
Old 04-01-2002, 01:12 AM
gmmerc5
Racer

Can some one explain what does the Vette do when it is the Competition Mode? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:17 AM
SAXN8R
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Competition Mode Question (gmmerc5)

Competition mode leaves active handling (stability control) on and turns off traction control only.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:55 AM
'99Vetteguy
Pro

Default Re: Competition Mode Question (SAXN8R)

I think there's a 'magic box' available that will put your car in competition mode
every time you start the car, automatically. No button pushing while you're
waiting to get rolling down the road. I just got my 'vette, so haven't got the
magic box yet, or even the CAGS delete magic box. That's a high priority
though, because it's such a PITA.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:27 AM
gmmerc5
Racer

Thank you for the infor, SAXN8R
Old 04-01-2002, 04:14 AM
Mike Schriber
Drifting

Default Re: Competition Mode Question ('99Vetteguy)

There is indeed a magic box, but it's not magic, just some much needed electronics!

Look at you center console and see if the button is labeled "Traction Control" or "Active Handling". If it just says "Traction Control", you do not have the Active Handling system. You can also look at the option code list on the glove box door. Active Handling is option code JL4.

As someone mentioned, Competition Mode disables Traction Control while leaving Active Handling, which is yaw control, enabled. It's really the best way to run on the street or track because Traction Control on the C5 is really terrible.

Even if you car does not have Active Handling, you can still use our TracActive Controller to automatically disable Traction Control (like products for the C4, or the Camaro) when you start the engine.

For more information, feel free to visit our web site or give us a call.

The TracActive Controller is available direct, or though a dealer such as The LAPD, Eckler's, or Mid America.

Mike :flag
Old 04-01-2002, 10:12 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SAXN8R, are you sure that is all it does? My salesman told me it allowed sub 12 sec. 1/4 mile times and kicked in the super braking system and electro-hydraulic steering. :crazy: :eek: :rolleyes: :crazy: :eek: :rolleyes:
Old 04-01-2002, 10:22 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Competition Mode Question (Jim 47)

SAXN8R, are you sure that is all it does? My salesman told me it allowed sub 12 sec. 1/4 mile times and kicked in the super braking system and electro-hydraulic
SAXN8R is exactly right. Your salesman is :bs: I guess I got lucky with mine...He has a black coupe, light mods and loves the cars. He's been at the dealer for many years and Corvettes are all he sells. Most car salesman seem to work at a dealership for 6-12 months and then move on to another dealer.
Spend some time on the forum, you'll learn a lot about your car. Do searches and ask questions about things you can't find. There's a ton of threads on this subject.:yesnod:
Ed

[Modified by C5XTASY, 8:29 AM 4/1/2002]
Old 04-01-2002, 10:26 AM
Vetts Forever
Burning Brakes

SAXN8R, are you sure that is all it does? My salesman told me it allowed sub 12 sec. 1/4 mile times and kicked in the super braking system and electro-hydraulic steering. :crazy: :eek: :rolleyes: :crazy: :eek: :rolleyes:
Oh, No!! Here we go with the "Super-Secret Performance Mode" urban legends again! Part fiction - part fact the heart of a sales pitch... :lol:

[Modified by Vetts Forever, 9:26 AM 4/1/2002]
Old 04-01-2002, 11:55 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it seems to me it takes much longer than 5 secs. More like 10 secs then it goes into comp mode. If you don't want to see ' competition mode ' in the dic then mash reset!

ttt

[Modified by Timz06, 3:56 AM 4/2/2002]
Old 04-02-2002, 12:02 AM
SAXN8R
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Competition Mode Question (gmmerc5)

Don't mention it! :D
Old 04-02-2002, 01:31 AM
VERTVETTE
Drifting

Default Re: Competition Mode Question (Timz06)

Can antone tell me if the traction control or the rev limiter take fuel from the car. :D
Old 04-09-2002, 12:52 PM
'99Vetteguy
Pro

Default Re: Competition Mode Question (Mike Schriber)

Mike,

Your device is the one I was thinking of. Are you sure it's not magic? ;)

My '99 hard top has active handling. The traction control does seem a little
over zealous. If I burn the tires a little around a corner, it cuts the throttle
WAY back. On my favorite twisty road with 10 MPH corners, I wasn't even
trying hard around a twisty, steep, uphill 10 MPH corner and the car cut my
throttle back so hard I was wondering if I was even going to make it up the
hill. I guess the rear end was locked up and I lost traction on the sharp corner

Anyway, I've got a question for you. If I set your magic box to automatically
go to Competition mode, and then push the active handling button, can I scroll
through from AH on/AH off/Comp mode, or will I have to push and hold to get
back to Comp mode (or restart car)?

Old 04-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Mike Schriber
Drifting

Default Re: Competition Mode Question ('99Vetteguy)

Well, okay, we do use a LITTLE magic, but it's totaly solid state so there is no chance of it running off.

To answer your question, once the TracActive Controller has done it's job (setting Competition Mode, turning TC/AH off, or doing nothing), the system acts just like it's not there. The button on the center console still works the same. If you took the car out of Competition Mode once it was running, you would have to hold the button town again to get back in.

Now that I've said that, I'll reveal a little secret tip for you MN6 owners...

If you don't have the clutch pushed in, you can turn to key to start and reset the computer and the TracActive Controller. This would put you back into Competition Mode without holding down the button, or restarting the car. It'll work for A4 cars too, as long as the transmission is in gear.

And that's the LapTrax tip of the day!

Mike :flag
Old 04-09-2002, 10:41 PM
gbm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the best one I've heard today :lol: :lol:
Old 04-09-2002, 10:51 PM
gnosys
Drifting

Default Re: Competition Mode Question (Mike Schriber)

Just a coupla' observations from my short time behind the wheel of my 02:

I don't drive without Active Handling unless I'm very aware of where I am, what I'm doing, and what may happen (e,g, skid pad or empty parking lot). Some folks have lost control and damaged their Vettes when they forgot the AH was off. The other day, I got tired of having trouble peeling out with my A4 and turned it all off and the rear was fishtailing out of a parking lot like :crazy: It's easy to forget when it's turned off.

The competition mode seems to me, to still limit wheel spin some. (Maybe the AH is taking over?) But anyway, in Comp Mode my A4 won't really spin the rears from a standing start unless I hold down the brake to about 1500-2000 RPMs. Then it spins a little, does a quick hop, catches, and takes off. I didn't like it (especially the hop) and now usually just take off from a rolling start and forget wheelspin (easier on the tires, too :jester )
One of the guys at the local club told me Comp. Mode still keeps the tires from really spinning as much as they should for a launch, and this is what led me to try peeling out with AH off from the parking lot, and the car actually got sideways :crazy: So, now I'm careful to ensure my AH is always ON! I'm not a good enough driver to risk my car and my health. Maybe I'll sign up for some driving lessons! :D
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Competition Mode Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Competition Mode Question