C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Pinging - I've tried everything...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM
kettemr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2001 Pinging - I've tried everything...

2001 convertible stock engine with Z06 cat-back exhaust. 6 speeed with 33k miles.

I have had a pinging issue under hard acceleration for quite some time. At the top end of 1st and 2nd (above 4,000 rpm) WOT after engine is at operating temp.... Coolant 194 degrees and oil 220 degrees. No codes.

I have cleaned the MAF and done the Sea Foam cleaning multiple times. I always run 93 octane. It still pings. The cats went at about 30,000 miles and I replaced them. I'm guessing this is all related. The car runs great and strong but keeps pinging. Knock sensors maybe? I have heard that it may need to have timing and/or fuel mixture adjusted but this is a stock set-up so the computer should take care of this right? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I need to fix this before I damage the engine badly. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kettemr; 09-23-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:15 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

fuel filter?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried some fuel system and injector cleaner? Have you tried checking your spark plug gaps?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:46 AM
NURVUS
Advanced

I had the same problem with a 2002 6spd I recently picked up with 59,xxx miles. I read all the posts about seafoam, oil in the intake, oil catch cans, etc. A GM tech I know figured somewhere along the line someone downloaded an aftermarket tune. After he reflashed the computer with a stock tune, all the pinging went away! It runs fantastic and no more spark knock.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

check your tune! get some one who knows what they're doing to check it out.. I've also seen pinging probs when the wrong heat range plugs are used....

Last edited by dankhts; 09-24-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:38 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

The seafoam didn't do anything to the carbon on your piston tops and exhaust valves.

I've got pictures of mine either here or in the Zo6 section when I took off my heads. Even with a seafoam treatment 100 miles earlier there was tons of carbon buildup. After physically removing the carbon you can be assured it wont ping.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:02 PM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

You could possibly have a bad injector (or two). Or if you just have bad spray patterns it could be causing the detonation. Does it run OK without the AC on?

Do you still have 1-to-4 skip shift? If not was it tuned out (i.e. the car has been custom tuned). A quick data log would give you a lot of answers, too bad you aren't anywhere near north Alabama.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Check your injectors, fuel pressure, or possibly carbon on the piston..
If all else fails add some torco.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:09 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

I would not drive it if shes pinging until you fix the issue. You are just asking for an engine failure. Strongly recommend data logging. This is driving the vehicle while recording engine parameters. This way you can go back and take a look at your log and view 02 sensor, fuel trim, ignition, MAF, and injector duty cycles.

You can do this with most tuning software like HPT or EFI Live. Tech-2 and Predator scan tools also can do this.

Do you know if the car has been tuned? If you say it only happens under heavy acceleration then it sounds like it happens under Power Enrichment. You may be running too lean, too much timing, or in some cases carbon build up can get hot enough to detonate the intake charge.

Considering you already went through a set of cats with the low miles you have, my guess is you are running lean. Catalytic converters fail when exhaust is too hot.

Where is Williamsville? I am in Rochester and would be happy to help determine what the problem is. I use EFI Live so I have full scanning and tuning capabilities.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:42 AM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
I would not drive it if shes pinging until you fix the issue. You are just asking for an engine failure. Strongly recommend data logging. This is driving the vehicle while recording engine parameters. This way you can go back and take a look at your log and view 02 sensor, fuel trim, ignition, MAF, and injector duty cycles.

You can do this with most tuning software like HPT or EFI Live. Tech-2 and Predator scan tools also can do this.

Do you know if the car has been tuned? If you say it only happens under heavy acceleration then it sounds like it happens under Power Enrichment. You may be running too lean, too much timing, or in some cases carbon build up can get hot enough to detonate the intake charge.

Considering you already went through a set of cats with the low miles you have, my guess is you are running lean. Catalytic converters fail when exhaust is too hot.

Where is Williamsville? I am in Rochester and would be happy to help determine what the problem is. I use EFI Live so I have full scanning and tuning capabilities.
Sounds like the right course to take!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 PM
84REDCROSSFIRE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Might be your MAP sensor going bad. Good Luck
Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 PM
kettemr
Instructor

Originally Posted by n8dogg

Hey n8dogg... I just sent you a pm.... I am thinking the same as you but need to get some help from someone I can trust.... I do NOT trust my local dealer. Take a look and let me know how I can contact you. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:37 PM
kettemr
Instructor

Thanks to all for your help.... I have considered all this stuff and need some real expert advice.... The car is stock, never retuned that I know of or suspect.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:33 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

The cliffnotes of my past experience was that I had hptuners and I logged a heavy street driving session. It was indeed knocking at 3/4 throttle between 3800 and 4100 rpm. It was pulling the max 4 degrees of timing in those cells before eventually dropping the car into the low octane table.

It turned out that hard carbon was caked on the piston, combustion chamber, and built up on the necks of the exhaust valves. Physically removing that will surely take care of pinging.

Keep in mind, you have an '01 like me with the "bad" piston rings.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:20 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is an updated GM engine calibration that addresses spark knock. Check with your lcoal dealer to have them check if your car needs this update.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 AM
retired cop
Instructor

Had the same problem have a good tuner look at it.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by kettemr
The cats went at about 30,000 miles and I replaced them. I'm guessing this is all related.
It's interesting, and also unusual, that your cats needed replacing at that low mileage. Does your engine have excessive oil consumption?

Oil consumption can cause contaminated catalytic converters, and also carbon build-up on pistons and valves.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Pinging - I've tried everything...

Old 09-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
Keep in mind, you have an '01 like me with the "bad" piston rings.
A small percentage of 01s had this problem. I wouldn't tell people that they ALL did.

However, given the fact that the cat needed to replaced so early may be an indication of bad rings.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM
kettemr
Instructor

The car was delivered to the original owner in April of 2001 so I think it was one of the earlier models that had the ring problem and I don't think it was repaired. I didn't realize this issue with 2001 models until after I had owned it a couple years (ugghh).

What is involved with manually cleaning the carbon deposits and changing the rings? I'm not a mechanic..... Any idea on how many hours of labor I would be looking at?

Thanks to all.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:18 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look on the forum for how to dump codes on the DIC and report back here what codes you found. That will help get started down the solution path.

Charlie

Quick Reply: 2001 Pinging - I've tried everything...