C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap 2 core radiators from Ebay? Your thoughts? Ya im a cheap ass!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Cheap 2 core radiators from Ebay? Your thoughts? Ya im a cheap ***!

Hey guys so im looking at buying a bigger radiator for my C5 only to find out that I need to spend @ $600 +. Anyways im a very frugal and cheap *** so thats not going to swing. So I found this radiator thats big and cheap.

Its not exactly C5 specific, but looks like it would work. What you guys think? It does come with a cap opening, so two caps should not be a problem..........right?

Roger

specs:
This radiator is a universal GM style radiator, and is all TIG welded with no epoxy or rubber seals to go bad, and is fully weldable! 1 1/2" dia. lower right hose, and 1 3/4" upper left. Our 2 rows of 1" tubes out-cool 4 core copper radiators. Cross-flow design for optimal cooling.

* 100% TIG Welded (Great Looking Welds, not cheap messy ones)
* 2 Rows of 1" Tubes
* Fully Weldable
* GM Style Hose Locations (Please check that yours match)
* Cross-flow
* Cools up to 750 Horses!!!
* Plain Aluminum, Fully Polishable!
* Billet Aluminum Filler Neck

Overall Dimensions are about 16" tall X 31" Wide X 2 1/8" core, 2 1/2" total thickness on the headers

Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by regorih

Hey guys so im looking at buying a bigger radiator for my C5 only to find out that I need to spend @ $600 +. Anyways im a very frugal and cheap *** so thats not going to swing. So I found this radiator thats big and cheap.

Its not exactly C5 specific, but looks like it would work. What you guys think? It does come with a cap opening, so two caps should not be a problem..........right?
I think you should buy it
Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 AM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I think you should buy it
Not exactly what I was looking for. im looking for more of a technical answer.

My hole deal is this: are the expensive radiators (besides being a direct bolt on per say) any better than lets say this cheap one ( less than $200)?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Not exactly what I was looking for. im looking for more of a technical answer.

My hole deal is this: are the expensive radiators (besides being a direct bolt on per say) any better than lets say this cheap one ( less than $200)?
Oh, I'm sure it's just as good as the expensive ones. Why pay the Corvette tax? So the condenser won't attach anymore, or the fans, or the radiator cover(since now you have an extra pressure cap in the way). And sure, you'll have to do a little cutting here, shaping there....but in the end, you will have succeeded in making a radiator not designed for your car fit and work.

So buy it, and install it. You can start a "radiator mod" thread, and take lot's of pics,,,,because others may want to follow in your footsteps...after they see your success.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:04 AM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just buy a cheap radiator that is made for your car?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

why not ask them if they make one to fit your car?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You always get what you pay for,sounds like a real headache to me.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 AM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmarkshark
Why not just buy a cheap radiator that is made for your car?
There is no such thing unless you have money piled up. the Cheapest radiator what will just fall in cost @ $650, this is $180.

I could always make my own brackets to hold it down and buy some aftermarket fans that are a lot stronger than the stock unit
Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 AM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no such thing unless you have money piled up. the Cheapest radiator what will just fall in cost @ $650, this is $180.

I could always make my own brackets to hold it down and buy some aftermarket fans that are a lot stronger than the stock unit

After all the work to make this fit and work, how much are you really going to save, and is it worth it??
Old 10-07-2010, 01:21 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by cdnguyred88
After all the work to make this fit and work, how much are you really going to save, and is it worth it??
Well, and this was my mistake. The radiator is $140 not $180. And about $50 to mount it. it will still be under $200

Is it worth it? I have no idea, but if it does end up working them yes it will be worth it because of the saving ($400) and it should cool better.

Just saying.

One thing I notice of Corvette member is that they always have a hard time trying to go a different route when something has been set up as the ULTIMATE and ONLY SOLUTIONS to a problem.

Just saying

PS.

I dont mind taking a $200 risk on this one.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:49 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Oh, I'm sure it's just as good as the expensive ones. Why pay the Corvette tax? So the condenser won't attach anymore, or the fans, or the radiator cover(since now you have an extra pressure cap in the way). And sure, you'll have to do a little cutting here, shaping there....but in the end, you will have succeeded in making a radiator not designed for your car fit and work.
This.

Don't. it's got way too many excuses.

If you really need a bigger radiator without paying retail, I'd advise scouring the classifieds here and on ls1tech for a used one from a built car being parted out. Or, PM guys parting out their built cars that don't specifically mention a radiator, lots of times they might actually have one to trade/$$.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Be sure to post up a guide once you get it installed, so everyone else can reap the benefits of cheap radiators

Dope
Old 10-07-2010, 06:46 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Is there a drain petcock?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

A stock AC delco Radiator that is a direct bolt in, has hangers for your Condenser and Fan setup cost 265 dollars from any wholesaler. This will insure that your new radiator will work as well as a brand new C5's cooling system..Taking out the old radiator and putting in the new one takes an hour.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
A stock AC delco Radiator that is a direct bolt in, has hangers for your Condenser and Fan setup cost 265 dollars from any wholesaler. This will insure that your new radiator will work as well as a brand new C5's cooling system..Taking out the old radiator and putting in the new one takes an hour.
Is the radiator your talking about a 2 core radiator?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I looked at your profile, and unless you have mods that aren't listed there, I don't see why you need a larger radiator. If you don't need it, any money and time spent is just wasted. Put it towards something that will enhance the performance.
If you do have a reason for increasing the cooling capacity,and go with this radiator, just understand that the road less traveled is usually the one with the most potholes.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM
regorih
Drifting

Well im building a 347 with D1sc. ITs hella hot in South Texas (houston) Summer time is been killing me. With 160 stat in 101 F weather with a/c on I see 240-250 F. It gets hot down here

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap 2 core radiators from Ebay? Your thoughts? Ya im a cheap ass!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by Greg_E
I looked at your profile, and unless you have mods that aren't listed there, I don't see why you need a larger radiator. If you don't need it, any money and time spent is just wasted. Put it towards something that will enhance the performance.
If you do have a reason for increasing the cooling capacity,and go with this radiator, just understand that the road less traveled is usually the one with the most potholes.
Yes I understand. Its just that corvette tax is a beach. I know people have to make a living but some of the stuff around here is excessive
Old 10-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

OK. The supercharger wasn't in your profile. If you have the skills, and the time to do it, go for it. If people didn't try different things we would all be in living in the stone age.
Do document it so others can benefit from your experience.
From the lack of responses regarding the technical aspects of doing this, it looks like you will be the first to try one of this.

Last edited by Greg_E; 10-08-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by Greg_E
OK. The supercharger wasn't in your profile. If you have the skills, and the time to do it, go for it. If people didn't try different things we would all be in living in the stone age.
Do document it so others can benefit from your experience.
im trying to keep that on the down low, but when I post about it makes no difference

Quick Reply: Cheap 2 core radiators from Ebay? Your thoughts? Ya im a cheap ass!