C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK intake manifold, and your thoughts????? Heatsoak, heatsink, vaporlock, whatever..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 AM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default BBK intake manifold, and your thoughts????? Heatsoak, heatsink, vaporlock, whatever..

So, I am going with an aluminum intake manifold.....

Pause.....

other peoples objections.......

Okay, so now that I've heard people clammering on about heatsoak-this and heatsink-that, what is your guys opinions about running an aluminum intake such as BBK, Holley, Weiand???

I know that the plastic variations offer some temperature related benefits, but I truly can't see them being profoundly different.

All I've really heard negative about an aluminum intake on a GenIII/IV motor is the whole "heatsoak" thing.
But I don't relate this being a concern on a sophisticated sequential fuel injected engine. Maybe a carb application, but even then I never had an issue with my hotrods and their engines that utilized aluminum intakes.

Also, I think the term "heatsoak" is being misapplied in such a case, as heatsoak involves an "off" engine rather than a running engine. Here is a quick ditty describing heatsoak:

"The phenomenon known as "heat soak" occurs when the engine is turned off. At this time, the combustion process is terminated. This terminates the momentum of the crankshaft, which in turn stops the turning of the water pump. As the coolant is no longer being circulated, the engine block and cylinder temperature increase for a period of approximately 3 to 10 minutes, depending on the engine design and additional components."

I will throw in the term "vaporlock" as I imagine this is what others concern really is, but again this is a concern of a hot engine trying to be started, not one that is running (and if applied to a running engine, then severe issues most be at hand).

Lastly, I will make one other assumption and guess that maybe people are getting the terms confused and are only objecting because the feel that the metal intake will simply cause the incoming air to be warmer than if it had the plastic intake. Of course, this phenomenon is not heatsoak in the traditionally applied sense.
To this end though, the few degree difference, if any, would be negligible in terms of power loss.

Well, if anyone read my rant this far, I'd appreciate your input. Please offer substantiated opinions and claims. Or at least a solid rational for any negative views towards using an aluminum intake.

With all this said, I'm neither for or against an aluminum intake, I'm just trying it out cause it flows better and looks good

Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 AM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Here's what one person posted from a while back:

Originally Posted by ArKay99
An LS6 manifold and ported TB will give you very similar results with lots less money. If the LS6 manifold doesn't tweak your fern, check out the new Weiand coming out in the spring. For lightly modded cars it could be the answer for you.

The main problem with the BBK is it's metal and suffers from heat sink. It has been documented and that 12-15hp will shrink to nothing when it gets hot.
It doesn't make sense to me, isn't the weiand an aluminum intake too???
What does this person think "heatsink" is???

Sorry, it's just that these are the types of responses I've been getting from people who have no LSx powered car and have no experience directly with this scenario.

Anywho, time to stop thinking about it for the night, it's drining me crazy
Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 AM
bdiddo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be interested in learning more
Old 10-21-2010, 05:48 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

All those arguments aside, if you already have the LS6 intake there are several who have run these and found no power advantage. Polished they look nice though. The Wieand intake was never released to my knowledge, there were a lot of folks waiting for it after it was shown at SEMA but it was never released.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by manley845
Here's what one person posted from a while back:

It doesn't make sense to me, isn't the weiand an aluminum intake too???
What does this person think "heatsink" is???

Sorry, it's just that these are the types of responses I've been getting from people who have no LSx powered car and have no experience directly with this scenario.

Anywho, time to stop thinking about it for the night, it's drining me crazy
Ahhh..the internet experts...
Don't get too caught up in this subject. Terminology gets thrown around this forum, and a lot of quys don't know the difference between a "heat sink" and the phenomena of "heat soak".

I find it interesting, that even though an aluminum intake manifold it purported to destroy performance, all the aftermarket companies are still manufacturing intake manifolds made of aluminum..i.e. Edelbrock, Weiand, etc.....for hi performance applications....especially when carburetors are soo susceptible to heat. I wonder why they have not all started making manifolds out of AMODEL...?
The following users liked this post:
CFight (07-24-2023)
Old 10-21-2010, 04:42 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Ahhh..the internet experts...
Don't get too caught up in this subject. Terminology gets thrown around this forum, and a lot of quys don't know the difference between a "heat sink" and the phenomena of "heat soak".

I find it interesting, that even though an aluminum intake manifold it purported to destroy performance, all the aftermarket companies are still manufacturing intake manifolds made of aluminum..i.e. Edelbrock, Weiand, etc.....for hi performance applications....especially when carburetors are soo susceptible to heat. I wonder why they have not all started making manifolds out of AMODEL...?
Very true

I guess I can figure that I'm gonna be just fine with the aluminum intake.

Edelbrock took a step in their Airgap intake in regards to keep things cool. And I imagine that if it weren't for coolant flowing through the intake that we'd be seeing plastic aftermarket intake for older cars as well (as I figure there would be sealing issues).
Old 10-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty much anyone with a fast car runs either the LS6 or the FAST XXXmm (whatever is applicable to their setup) so that says it all for me. Heatsoak or not, aluminum is still going to be heavier and if there was any real performance increases over the other options, more people would run them.

Just my 2 cents. They do look nice polished though, if you like that look. Otherwise I can't see any real reason to get one.

Dope
Old 10-21-2010, 07:34 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dope
Pretty much anyone with a fast car runs either the LS6 or the FAST XXXmm (whatever is applicable to their setup) so that says it all for me. Heatsoak or not, aluminum is still going to be heavier and if there was any real performance increases over the other options, more people would run them.
Soooooo, I guess the BBK is a piece of crap and I'll lose power compared to the LS6????

As for the weight, I have a 12" Alpine in the trunk, so I'm not too worried about the apparently, maybe it'll even things back out

Actually I get what you're saying, but I bought my Vette for speed AND style and dressing it up is part of the fun for me. I know the BBK will perform better and have greater potential than the LS6 should I choose to port it.

My rant was mostly because of the goobers claiming heatsoak even though almost all other performance intakes are made of aluminum.

I don't have any dyno numbers for a before and after, but I'll make some drag passes and see if there's any differences (probably not much, if any though).
Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 PM
TheWildcat
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a LS6 with heads and a small cam.. I sold my LS6 intake and installed the BBK... its not any diffferent on my Tune, and if nothing else it looks awesome..John
CFight (07-24-2023)
Old 10-21-2010, 11:23 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheWildcat
I have a LS6 with heads and a small cam.. I sold my LS6 intake and installed the BBK... its not any diffferent on my Tune, and if nothing else it looks awesome..John
Now that's what I like to hear!

Yeah, I really can't wait to just have an excuse to work on it and then SEE the reward of my hard work. I think it's gonna look good
Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I don't remember the two aluminum intakes, one was BBK. I do remember one used a thin paper gasket rather then the o-ring type of seal on the stock intake that was prone to leakage. You may want to investigate if you go this route.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I don't remember the two aluminum intakes, one was BBK. I do remember one used a thin paper gasket rather then the o-ring type of seal on the stock intake that was prone to leakage. You may want to investigate if you go this route.
Holley's Lingenfelter series intake uses the paper gaskets. I think I'd rather have the OEM seal type gasket. Paper gaskets are fine, but I just like the hassle-free and sealer-free design of the seals.

That Holley does look like a beefy piece ready for porting and a big fat supercharger
Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 AM
TheWildcat
Drifting

the BBK uses oem intake gaskets..JOHN
Old 10-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Soooooo, I guess the BBK is a piece of crap and I'll lose power compared to the LS6????

As for the weight, I have a 12" Alpine in the trunk, so I'm not too worried about the apparently, maybe it'll even things back out

Actually I get what you're saying, but I bought my Vette for speed AND style and dressing it up is part of the fun for me. I know the BBK will perform better and have greater potential than the LS6 should I choose to port it.

My rant was mostly because of the goobers claiming heatsoak even though almost all other performance intakes are made of aluminum.

I don't have any dyno numbers for a before and after, but I'll make some drag passes and see if there's any differences (probably not much, if any though).
Yeah, you gotta realize that even if there are performance differences, you're talking minimal at best. If you lose 1hp but you like the looks better, who really cares. If you're trying to min/max your setup and squeeze out every ounce of performance then that is a different story, but I'm not getting that vibe out of you. Enjoy your BBK

Dope
Old 10-22-2010, 02:58 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dope
Yeah, you gotta realize that even if there are performance differences, you're talking minimal at best. If you lose 1hp but you like the looks better, who really cares. If you're trying to min/max your setup and squeeze out every ounce of performance then that is a different story, but I'm not getting that vibe out of you. Enjoy your BBK

Dope
Thanks

Yeah, I just can't wait to see that purddy thing mounted to the engine
Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 PM
blazer427X3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car had a BBK on it when I bought it. I don't have any complaints about how it performs. When I had the intake off, I found out that almost all the screws that hold the plate on the underside of the intake had come loose and a couple had fallen out. I used blue loctite on the screws when I put it back together.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Also, I think the term "heatsoak" is being misapplied in such a case, as heatsoak involves an "off" engine rather than a running engine. Here is a quick ditty describing heatsoak:

"The phenomenon known as "heat soak" occurs when the engine is turned off. At this time, the combustion process is terminated. This terminates the momentum of the crankshaft, which in turn stops the turning of the water pump. As the coolant is no longer being circulated, the engine block and cylinder temperature increase for a period of approximately 3 to 10 minutes, depending on the engine design and additional components."
Go drive your car around for awhile with the stock intake, then stop and put your hand on the top of the manifold with the engine running. After you put your aluminum manifold on there, try the same thing and let us know how that works out for you.

As for the effect on power... who knows.

Get notified of new replies

To BBK intake manifold, and your thoughts????? Heatsoak, heatsink, vaporlock, whatever..

Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Not that many people running these...but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. For me, I like stealth...ported LS6 would be my choice. Tony Mamo at AFR is where I'd take my LS6 for work.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:59 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Go drive your car around for awhile with the stock intake, then stop and put your hand on the top of the manifold with the engine running. After you put your aluminum manifold on there, try the same thing and let us know how that works out for you.

As for the effect on power... who knows.
Drrr, the aluminum will be hotter to the touch

Although the aluminum conducts heat differently I don't believe it will pose any negative effect on power. But who knows anyways

Actually, I already did a "before" check, and lemme tell ya, that stick intake gets hot as hell after a 30 mile drive home from the office
CFight (07-24-2023)
Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
TheWildcat
Drifting

here was mine before I put it in last winter....JOHN

Quick Reply: BBK intake manifold, and your thoughts????? Heatsoak, heatsink, vaporlock, whatever..