C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Gas Struts on Conv. Top Stowage Compartment Lid

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:08 PM
AZCARGASM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing Gas Struts on Conv. Top Stowage Compartment Lid

Struts failed on my convertible top stowage lid. Not much room to work on the front ball connectors, and had to make my own tool, but I eventually got them off, both front and rear. My problem is getting the new ones back on. You would think it would be pretty straightforward, but I am having problems compressing the new strut to where it fits on the ball stud. If there was a way to override the safety interlock and have both the stowage lid and the trunk open at the same time it could be easy. Does anyone know how to do this and have the trunk an stowage lid both open? Am I missing something?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good question as I need to do this sometime as well. Is it possible (I haven't really looked to know) to use the cables to accomplish this? I know there is one for the trunk, and probably one for the lid, guess I'll need to go take a look and see.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 PM
JMWarren
Advanced

You can manually pop either by pulling the little cable release located just under the latch assembly.

Just be careful you don't damage them, I'd think only moving one at a time would be a good idea.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
AZCARGASM
Racer

Originally Posted by JMWarren
You can manually pop either by pulling the little cable release located just under the latch assembly.

Just be careful you don't damage them, I'd think only moving one at a time would be a good idea.
I will try the cables and if that doesn't work its off to harbor freight to find the right length of slide clamp that will fit the strut and the space to work in.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:32 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

This I am sure will not help, but the manual simply states to open the front, do the front of the strut, close it and open the back and do it. Makes it sound easy. Guess I'll find out one of these days. If you don't mind,where did you get the struts? Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine off the auction site- 3 years ago, no problems. I installed the hatch struts as mentioned above - did one then closed hatch, opened trunk and finished. The only way I could do the trunk struts was to get inside the trunk, have my wife close the trunk lid, put the new struts on and hope she'd open the trunk. She did.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Thats funny, I would think even if she left you there, there is a cable you could pull to open the trunk, but, I think I would want to make sure it works before I climbed in.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Gas Struts on Conv. Top Stowage Compartment Lid

Quick Reply: Replacing Gas Struts on Conv. Top Stowage Compartment Lid