C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 01:00 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Default OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors?????

I want to buy Baer EradiSpeed OE replacement performance rotors for my 99 MN6 with 14K miles on the clock. Can I install these rotors and still use my OEM pads until I complete the upgrade with new pads, lines and fluid at a later date? Are these rotors any harder or easier on pads than the OEM rotors?

Thanks

Tom
USAF Retired

Old 04-04-2002, 01:14 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors????? (AFVETTE)

AFVETTE:

Of course you can use your old pads with the new rotors, but I wouldn't do that if it were me. I definately would change the rotors and pads at the same time. This way you are starting with new smooth surfaces on both the rotors and pads which will be better for the rotors.

Your old pads have ridges and groves in them and will not match up well with the new rotors.

Why not wait till you have all the parts before you jack it up and start pulling wheels? The entire job will be easier and faster and you'll have to remove the calapers only once instead of twice. Good luck with your project. :D
Old 04-04-2002, 02:49 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06
Default Re: OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors????? (Jim 47)

Jim 47,

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Shawn
Old 04-04-2002, 07:33 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors?????

Anyone knows how much the OEM pads (front&rear) cost? And who carries them?

Thanks
-Tuan
Old 04-05-2002, 12:18 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

I hear you LOUD and CLEAR. I'll buy a complete package. Guess I should have figured that out.

Tom
USAF Retired
Old 04-05-2002, 01:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

According to PFC and Hawk the rule for breaking in new brake system parts is: Old pads on new rotors and old rotors with new pads. If the old part is damaged then you should not use it. A worn rotor or pad is not considered damaged. Having both new pads and rotors or fresh surfaces on a used rotor is not necessary or desirable.
Bill
Old 04-05-2002, 09:26 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

OK now I'm confused. Looks like I better do more research.

Thanks folks.

Tom
Old 04-05-2002, 09:58 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing. I have some Eradispeeds on the way and don't want to change pads if its not necessary. I only have 1600 miles on the current brake pads.

Old 04-05-2002, 10:36 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

AFVETTE:

Shawn from LAPD and I have given you the correct information. We have assumed that you will be driving your Vette on the roads and NOT on the race track.

Bill Dearborn's information is for people who want to burnish (or bed in) new "race compound" pads that they plan to use on the race track. It that case, using old rotors which may be groved but not cracked, or using new rotors with old racing pads is OK, since all the driver is doing in the bedding in process is to get the brakes very hot through a repeated stopping process so the pads and the rotors have a continuous and complete contact patch. This process also drives out some of the volitiles that are in the pads, and will rovide better subsequent braking.

If you're not planning to race your Vette, then take my original advice. The bedding in process will occur for you during the first dozen or so stops that you will make, and it won't tear the crap out of your new good looking rotors. I hope this helps to explain some of the confussion. :cool:
Old 04-05-2002, 10:59 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

I'll be doing the entire package all at once. I only want to jack the car once. Doing it right the first time is probably cheaper in the long run.

Thanks

Tom
Old 04-05-2002, 04:51 PM
Mike Schriber
Drifting

Just one question....

If you're not driving the car on the track, why would you want EradiSpeed rotors? The same goes for braided lines.

Just wondering....

Mike :flag
Old 04-05-2002, 04:53 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors????? (Mike Schriber)

it's always been my impression that the drilled/slotted eradispeeds were for looks.....use on the track would cause cracking and warping :)
Old 04-05-2002, 07:53 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Default Re: OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors????? (Mean Green 2000)

it's always been my impression that the drilled/slotted eradispeeds were for looks.....use on the track would cause cracking and warping :)
I bought my Eradispeeds because my stockers were warped and I liked the way the Eradispeeds looked.

I wonder why most race cars I've seen DO have drilled and or slotted rotors if they are not good on the track! ;)

Tom
Old 04-05-2002, 11:37 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors????? (Mike Schriber)

Tom,
I live in Phoenix, home of Baer. I went to their shop and discussed this very subject with the tech reps there. They told me..as a matter of fact...they recommeneded I stay with the stock pads. It is better to "season" the new rotors with slightly worn pads, and vice versa. Now if your brake pads are worn too much, or damaged...then thats a different story. I bought my eradispeeds directly from there shop and kept the stock brake pads...worked great !
Old 04-06-2002, 12:11 AM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors????? (Dicecal)

Where in Phx is their shop?

Tom,
I live in Phoenix, home of Baer. I went to their shop and discussed this very subject with the tech reps there. They told me..as a matter of fact...they recommeneded I stay with the stock pads. It is better to "season" the new rotors with slightly worn pads, and vice versa. Now if your brake pads are worn too much, or damaged...then thats a different story. I bought my eradispeeds directly from there shop and kept the stock brake pads...worked great !
Old 04-06-2002, 01:00 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

First thanks for all the great info. I want the new rotors purely as an upgrade, basically the last brake job on my mint 99. I don't plan on any track time. I'm upgrading everything that might wear out in the next 4 or 5 years while at the same time increasing my FUN QUOTIONATE. My rotors were replaced under warranty at 8500 miles (my dealer is kind to me). So I have no wear issues at present. I just WANT the BEST street brakes available. Plus they will LOOK awesome with my chrome Z06 wheels and red painted calipers.

I'm upgrading parts that can wear/break to give me another 5 or more years of GREAT CRUISIN. That's all I'm doing.

Tom
USAF Retired

Old 04-06-2002, 12:13 PM
BlackSun!
Drifting

OK, I'm in the same boat. I just bought new Eradispeeds, Z06 Chrome Rims, Mich PIlots etc etc etc. and they are on the way, Shipped out yesterday!! But I did not get new pads! I was told just to use my old ones! Can anyone please recommend a good (less dusting) pad to replace with? Also one that will not creak or squeal, I heard the Hawk ceramics do that big time. :confused:
Old 04-18-2002, 04:42 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors????? (BlackSun!)

I spent some time looking at pads earlier on the forum. It sounds like the stock pads are the hands-down favorite for general street use. More aggressive dusts more and the ceramics have the above listed problems and less street braking. Stock is a good compromise.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:47 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors????? (BQuicksilver)

I put Eradispeeds on last week and kept the stock pads. So far, so good. I only had about 1600 miles on the stock pads though.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors?????

Quick Reply: OEM Brake PADS with Baer EradiSpeed Rotors?????