C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shocks and bars??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default shocks and bars??

I would like some feedback on installing c6 Zo6 shocks and the c6 Z51 sway bars. I want to improve the handling of my 2000 coupe but don't want to totally destroy the ride quality. I would really appreciate a little info from you guys that have done this upgrade. Thanks, Rod
Old 11-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

you will find if you use the search function that this is one of the most recommended upgrades to do.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 PM
happa
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience I love my C6 Z51 sways, wow what a difference they made. Im not sure about the shocks. I have Bilsteins Sports, my car handles awesome and I cant really tell if they made the ride ruff. Good luck on your mods!

Bryan
Old 11-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I just did this about 4 months ago. I have found that in normal daily driving you will not notice much of a change but when you start to push it the shocks and sways make a huge difference. I've been very happy and am sure you will be too.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Sargechris
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thrilled with the performance of the C6Z51 sways I installed... (still have OEM shocks).... The sways do not affect ride quality at all--but really make a huge difference in cornering and lane-change moves...

I highly recommend this mod...

Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys!! I think I'll pull the trigger soon. I just needed to know that the car won't feel like a 4x4 on the road. Some of the mods I've done hurt drivability, and they were high dollar items [sc, tranny, torque converter, gears, etc. Thanks again, Rod
Old 11-12-2010, 06:40 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I recently upgraded the shocks on my 02Z to the C6 Z06 shocks.The OEM shocks had 62k on them and started to feel worn & handling was vague.

I really like the new shocks...brought the snappy handling back to my car....AND it's the best deal in town for mods.

See Gene Culley at GMpartshouse.com and on this forum.

Didn't UG the sways.The Shocks was good enuff for my DD.

As always,IMO.
\db2
carolina
Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 PM
PetersC5
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the C5Z51 sways and 2004, C5Z06 shocks (which are probably the stiffist thing on the planet ) on my '00 Vert this summer.

I did the sways first and these alone really gave me what i needed ride wise improving my stock FE1 suspension greatly. If your thinking of doing both, definitely do the sways first.

I've been told that the C6Z06 shocks are a softer shock than the '04,Z06 shocks which were optimised for the track. The car is glued to the highway and i love the setup at speed.... but retrospectively, I wish i had gone with the C5Z51 or the C6Z06 shocks, a bit more forgiving would be OK on the back roads.

Again, do the sways first (with metal end links), I followed that advice myself and it was well worth it. I got the sways from Gene at GM Parts....

Good luck
Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You will ask your self.,,,, MAN, why did I wait so long to do this Mod???????? You will need a CROW BAR to remove the grin from your face!

The ride quality will NOT be compromised. It will be a "LITTLE" firmer but NOTHING EXTREME!

You will really enjoy the handling and firmer ride!

Please let me know how my comments stack up with your assessment!
I'm POSITIVE you will be AMAZED and very happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC
Old 11-12-2010, 03:02 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default I apologize if this is considered a high jack of the thread

...but it is related and I think would benefit the OP as well.
I have the C6 Z06 schocks and the C6 Z51 sway bars and metal end links ready to be installed on my 2000 MN6 Coupe (as well as the Elite tunnel plate), but have held off while trying to decide if I should also upgrade to the C5 Z51 springs at the same time. Waiting also to find a relatively good deal on a used set of springs as well. (I believe that the C5 Z06 front spring is the same as the C5 Z51 front, but the C5 Z06 rear spring is stiffer than the Z51 rear). If any of you have also done the springs, what is your real life experience/assessment as to increase in performance and any effect on ride quality. This is not a track car but does ocassionally enjoy a spirited romp through some twisties. (This is also on stock 17/18 wheels and non-run flat tires, but thinking of going to 18 all around with proper overall diameters to avoid any traction control/active handling issues.) Thanks in advance and again my apologies to the OP if this strays from your line of questioning.

Get notified of new replies

To shocks and bars??

Quick Reply: shocks and bars??