Charging System Fault during initial start up and then it goes off is not an issue. If it stays on, YES, its an issue. Read the battery VOLTAGE directly at the battery terminals for an accurate reading. The meter on the IPC and DIC is not a true battery voltage reading. It can be a volt or more different (lower) than the actual battery voltage.
The auto parts store guy telling you that you have a SHORT is WRONG!!!
When you see the word SHORT
in an electrical setting, you should invision SMOKE, FIRE, and LOTS of heat.
You most likely have something that is staying ON when you shut down the car. To properly check for this, you need to do a current draw test. Disconnect the NEGATIVE battery terminal. Insert a DC Current
Meter capable of reading up to 10 AMPS between the terminal and the battery cable. Ive done this on numerous C5 and the I normaly see approx 7-8 amps at initial connection. It rapidly drops down to 1-2 amps and with in several minutes, the BCM should enter the SLEEP/Security mode and you should see very close to 20 milliamps. Any reading much more than 25 ma, indicates that something did not shut down properly and is drawing excessive current.
A couple of the offenders are:
- Sunvisor lamps
- Seat Multifunction or Lumbar switch did not return to the center (neutral) position and continue to cause the seat motor to run.
- Interior light left ON. (check in the dark)
- Head light control module malfunction and does not shut down
- Bose relay staying energized
Read the battery current draw and see what it is. REMEMBER, you could have an INTERMITTANT issue and may not show a problem each and every time.