C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil dipstick tube leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil dipstick tube leaking

I initially had some trouble figuring out where the hole was that the dipstick tube went in after my LT header install. Well, since then I've found the hole (at least I think so) but my car has been leaking from that area since last week (when I did the header install).

The dipstick tube still has the rubber o-ring, and I'm pushing the tube as far into the hole as it will go and then bolting it up. The tube remains firmly placed into the hole, yet it still leaks.

Just to be clear, is the circled area in the below pic the correct place for the dipstick tube to be inserted?

If so, does anyone know what might be causing the problems I've described, and what possible remedies might there be? I was thinking of getting a bigger/thicker rubber o-ring but I have no idea where to buy o-rings from.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:43 PM
bucketlist1957
Instructor

Default O-ring

You should stick with a stock one. I may be wrong someone else with more experience may correct me but I had to pull mine when I installed my headers. The tube came out without the O-ring which leads me to believe there is a groove inside for it to fit in. I just slid my tube back in and never experienced any leaks. If yours is stuck on the tube it may not be seating in the correct place.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

The o-ring should be on the tube. Check the o-ring for cuts. There is no oversize o-ring. Is this the original tube that you removed before the header installation?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:15 PM
bucketlist1957
Instructor

Default O-ring

Vettenuts is right. I got lucky when I replaced mine the o-ring must have stuck in place. No leaks.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

It's a replacement tube that came with the headers.

I didn't check the old tube to see if the o-ring was on it. It's a definite possibility that the o-ring is still in the hole. I'm going to take it out, take the o-ring off, put it back in and see what happens.

I also just bought a big box of a bunch of different sized o-rings. I might o-ring it death to get it secured if the above fails.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

I just realized there is another hole. I had to do a lot of bending to get this thing to fit in the hole it's in now. (the hole in the picture of my first post)

Is the hole in the above picture the right one?

Or is it the circled hole in this picture?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:11 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There are no holes in that area ,other than where the dip stick goes.

It is the hole in your first circled picture. It's on line with the end of the starter.

If you still have your original dip stick tube, it bolts to a hole in your engine block, right above the third exhaust manifold bolt from the very front of the engine.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Kamauxx
Racer

Well it seems like I'm doing everything right. I just can't get the damn thing to stop leaking! I just-don't-get it.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

I believe the oil level sensor is in that area as well. Check to see that it isn't leaking.

Are you running the original PVC system and did you touch the AIR tubes when you installed the headers?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Kamauxx
Racer

Oil level sensor...where exactly is it and what does it look like? I've got a 'oil can' indicator on my HUD, so there may be a problem with the sensor. (the car isn't low on oil)

The headers don't have provisions for AIR so right now the hoses are just hanging out in the engine compartment, doing nothing.

Since I don't know what a PVC system is I'm guessing I didn't change it out.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:48 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Kamauxx
Oil level sensor...where exactly is it and what does it look like? I've got a 'oil can' indicator on my HUD, so there may be a problem with the sensor. (the car isn't low on oil)

The headers don't have provisions for AIR so right now the hoses are just hanging out in the engine compartment, doing nothing.

Since I don't know what a PVC system is I'm guessing I didn't change it out.
hit the page button on the HUD switch, notice you now have a gas can and coolant temp symbol?

your problem is now fixed

13mm bolt is in the LHS head holding the AIR tube in place, intake needs to come off the tube to remove; del code from PCM also
Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Kamauxx
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve Doten
hit the page button on the HUD switch, notice you now have a gas can and coolant temp symbol?

your problem is now fixed

13mm bolt is in the LHS head holding the AIR tube in place, intake needs to come off the tube to remove; del code from PCM also
The oil can symbol isn't my problem.

The accumulating pool of oil on my garage floor is. I wish there was a button for oil leakage.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Kamauxx
Racer

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I believe the oil level sensor is in that area as well. Check to see that it isn't leaking.

Are you running the original PVC system and did you touch the AIR tubes when you installed the headers?
I just got on the ground and watched the oil leak as the car was running. It's dripping from a couple of bolts in the oil pan. I believe it's originating at the dip stick tube though, because from what I understand the oil level sensor is behind the bolts (more toward the rear of the car) and the dip stick tube is right over the bolts.

I think it's leaking from the dip stick tube's hole, overflowing on that portion of the oil pan and finally dripping off on the lowest parts of the pan (those 2 bolts).

I've tried putting the tube in with no o-ring, assuming the original o-ring is stuck in the hole. I tried putting bunches of o-rings on the tube. I tried it with the 1 original o-ring. No matter how I do it there's still oil leaking.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Can you remove the dipstick and take a photo of it? Also, have you looked closely at the dipstick tube for cracks or holes?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:48 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

1. ck oil with original dipstick AND tube

2. compare original tube to new tube

3. NOTE!!!! the tube AND the dipstick are BOTH different from early to 2001 and later

4. Get that original o-ring out of the block

5. Use a systematic approach and go back to first steps to troubleshoot

6. did it leak before the LT install?

that is all
Old 12-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Can you remove the dipstick and take a photo of it? Also, have you looked closely at the dipstick tube for cracks or holes?
I've got everything back together so I can drive it tomorrow. I have looked it over, however, and noticed no damage. It's only about a week old and has probably seen 100 miles.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil dipstick tube leaking

Quick Reply: Oil dipstick tube leaking