C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 For Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Artizan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 For Newbie

Hi guys, new here and really appreciate the info.

I just bought a '99 automatic with 80k from second owner - 11 grand. I tried to do diligent research before purchase. The owner was very transparent with a couple of issues for the car but I am a bit nervous after buying. Car runs great - torch red with I believe all options. The active handling does not work and I did research to see how to access codes before I bought, but I did not realize that when the car is not on, the codes with 'H' can actually be 'C' codes when you access AFTER starting car so I thought all codes (about 18 of them) were old but they may not be. So the real strange thing is that the 'RESET' button does not work at all. I believe all other buttons on the DIC dash are OK. I cannot reset anything. The 'active handling warming up - service car soon' error flashes constantly after several minutes of driving and I cannot remove it. Car runs strong and I have service records going back several years from same mechanic. I actually called the mechanic who was very informative. He says the 'RESET' button connections are burnt out and it is a part he cannot get - same with the part for active handling.

Also, I read that the battery can cause many problems with active handling and other electrical if it is not strong enough. Do I need a better battery? I have posted a pic of the battery and the car. Any help would be great!

Old 06-10-2016, 09:31 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Very Nice and Welcome !!!!!!! you might want to check this site for hard to find parts !!!! http://www.vettenuts.net/
Old 06-10-2016, 10:18 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

I know this sounds weird...but, I would disconnect the battery for a few hours or overnight... have it tested at a parts store to confirm it's health...
Old 06-10-2016, 10:23 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Was the car sitting for a while before you purchased it?
Old 06-10-2016, 11:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Get the battery tested and go from there. You're right, a bad or weak battery can cause a lot of strange problems on the C5.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

You will have to get that reset button working. It is almost as essential as brakes! I'm sure you can get a replacement dic from somewhere like Vettenuts if that is what it needs. You really need it now so you can clear the codes and see what comes back.

You do realize that to clear codes you have to press and HOLD the reset button until the code clears. The messages that are on the display when not in the diagnostics mode will usually clear instantly. For instance, I do not use tire pressure monitors so my car says this needs servicing every time I start the car. One press of the reset and this message goes away.

Last edited by BigGun; 06-11-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:27 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BigGun
You will have to get that reset button working. It is almost as essential as brakes! I'm sure you can get a replacement dic from somewhere like Vettenuts if that is what it needs. You really need it now so you can clear the codes and see what comes back.
hope the previous owner didn't wear it out removing codes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:20 AM
Artizan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Was the car sitting for a while before you purchased it?
No. This was a daily driver. The owner works here in Jacksonville at Vistakon (Johnson and Johnson) pretty close to his house. He bought it from original owner in 2004 with about 14k miles on it. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:21 AM
Artizan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by akapounder
Very Nice and Welcome !!!!!!! you might want to check this site for hard to find parts !!!! http://www.vettenuts.net/
Thanks!
Old 06-11-2016, 05:25 AM
Artizan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigGun

You do realize that to clear codes you have to press and HOLD the reset button until the code clears. The messages that are on the display when not in the diagnostics mode will usually clear instantly. For instance, I do not use tire pressure monitors so my car says this needs servicing every time I start the car. One press of the reset and this message goes away.
Yeah, haha, I realize to HOLD the reset button. It just doesn't work. I believe all others do work. I spoke with his mechanic who serviced it for the last 5-8 years and he said he cleaned the contact points before and that got it working but now nothing. I wish I could find a corvette tech that specializes in these but not a dealer.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:26 AM
Artizan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Get the battery tested and go from there. You're right, a bad or weak battery can cause a lot of strange problems on the C5.
Thanks. Do they have to take out to test?
Old 06-11-2016, 07:17 AM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Artizan
Thanks. Do they have to take out to test?
No need to remove for testing. Make sure they use one of the electronic testers that can determine the available CCA. We got a new tester at the NAPA I work at a couple years ago and I was skeptical about it the first few months. After using it a couple years now it is a way better/accurate system for testing than the old load tester was. Mike
The following users liked this post:
Artizan (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Artizan
Intermediate

Default Oil Gauge

Hey thanks guys. One more thing: The oil pressure gauge goes all the way to the right (60 or 80 , whatever the limit is) right at start up and stays. I could have swore it was in the middle when I test drove it. The owner did have synthetic oil change a few days before I decided to purchase. I have records. The dipstick shows clean oil at the full mark. Probably a bad sensor?
Old 06-11-2016, 03:21 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Hey thanks guys. One more thing: The oil pressure gauge goes all the way to the right (60 or 80 , whatever the limit is) right at start up and stays. I could have swore it was in the middle when I test drove it. The owner did have synthetic oil change a few days before I decided to purchase. I have records. The dipstick shows clean oil at the full mark. Probably a bad sensor?
Bad OPS VERY very common... Relocate it and use the brass body sensor from napa..
Artizan (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Bad OPS VERY very common... Relocate it and use the brass body sensor from napa..
here is a guide if it interests you ??
Attached Files
File Type: docx
1 Oil sender re-locate.docx (29.4 KB, 40 views)
2 Oil sender re-locate.docx (99.5 KB, 56 views)
3 Oil fitting.docx (90.7 KB, 46 views)
Artizan (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 05:11 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by akapounder
here is a guide if it interests you ??
Thanks Pounder...I'm on a tablet...I'll copy and paste or download those...thank you bro
Old 06-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Artizan
Intermediate

Default Seats

OK, ONE more thing: the seats move about 1 inch forward when coming to a stop, then back on accelerate. Is this common?

Get notified of new replies

To '99 For Newbie

Old 06-11-2016, 05:31 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

OK, ONE more thing: the seats move about 1 inch forward when coming to a stop, then back on accelerate. Is this common?
Lol yes for a c5 welcome to the madness...it's affectionately, referred to as the ROCKING SEAT SYNDROME
Artizan (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:11 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Artizan, as 73Corvette mentioned above, disconnecting the battery for a period of time should clear most of the History codes and even many of the Current codes (at least for a period of time).

Also if you know someone with a good code reader, you may be able to use it to clear some of the codes. If you know someone with a Tech II, they can not only clear codes, but run some diagnostics as well.

Good luck... GUSTO
Artizan (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Artizan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Artizan, as 73Corvette mentioned above, disconnecting the battery for a period of time should clear most of the History codes and even many of the Current codes (at least for a period of time).

Also if you know someone with a good code reader, you may be able to use it to clear some of the codes. If you know someone with a Tech II, they can not only clear codes, but run some diagnostics as well.

Good luck... GUSTO
Thanks! Question: if there are current codes 'C' , will those show up on the DIC screen right after startup? When I start the car it is blank and after a few minutes it goes to the 'warming up active handling' then a few minutes later I get the active handling error and 'service vehicle soon.' Or do I have to manually pull them even if they are C codes?

Quick Reply: '99 For Newbie