C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column lock bypass, 3 models.. How do I connect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Juhatee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Column lock bypass, 3 models.. How do I connect?

I've got three CLB's and they look like these pictured here:

C = This one I know how to connect. Only one connector which goes to column lock harness to replace column lock unit.

A = This one has some electronic box and two connectors. Does this go between the original male and female connector in column lock harness? Why is there a connector for the column lock side too if the column lock is not active after installing this?

B = Same as above but there is a relay instead of that electronic box.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Juhatee
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
A and B are different variations of the GM K Harness and get installed in series between the lock motor and the BCM.

I personally would not use either A or B.
Thanks. Are those GM gadgets also supposed to eliminate column lock completely?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:21 AM
Juhatee
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Typically they have a very high failure rate. They work until they fail and then you are left stranded. If you are going to use anything I would use the CLB ( C in your pictures). Your profile says you have a 97 and a 99. Are they manual or automatic?
I'm putting the CLB on my '99. It was a automatic but now it's manual. It had the GM recall modded locking plate but I had to change that: We (in Finland) must have functional steering lock in manual shift cars on yearly inspection.
Now it has not started for 5-10 times and it's time for CLB. When I disassembled the dash, the other one of those GM "CLB"'s dropped from there. It was not connected to anything..
Old 01-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Juhatee
Racer

Thanks again!

My car works right now but it has failed to release column lock for 5-10 times last couple of months. It started working again after some efforts but I didn't repair or change anything.

I wouldn't mind taking the CLB off the car once a year before inspection and reconnecting it after that.. There's many other mods too that won't pass the inspection without some changes once a year

I'd like to see that thingy working all the time as it should but.. I don't know if it's more likely to fail if I let it (column lock motor) rest a year around and connect it right before inspection or should I go with GM recall wiring harness mod?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

When you install the CLB,, it comes from the supplier with a 12 VDC power supply harness that plugs into the Cigar Lighter.. It is used to set the Column Lock Motor to the UN-LOCK condition when it is un plugged.. Once you dis-connect the Column Lock harness, you connect the 12 VDC harness to the Column Lock Motor harness until it moves to the unlock position and then you unplug the 12 VDC harness.

Do you have the 12 VDC harness?

BC
Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 AM
Juhatee
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Do you have the 12 VDC harness?
Yes I do but I was not going to use it. I was about to achieve the same result by letting the BCM open the lock and then removing column lock motor fuse to prevent it locking again when I put ignition off.

I don't have the K-harness, neither CLB installed right now but I have two K-harnesses and one CLB waiting for me to pick one and install it. I think I'll install the CLB and take it off once a year.

Get notified of new replies

To Column lock bypass, 3 models.. How do I connect?

Quick Reply: Column lock bypass, 3 models.. How do I connect?