C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power loss

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power loss

So I went to hook up Hp tuners to my car this morning and there was no power to my OBDII port, I did have power last night though. I check the manual and did not see a fuse for it. Is there something Im missing or what?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by m6 c5
So I went to hook up Hp tuners to my car this morning and there was no power to my OBDII port, I did have power last night though. I check the manual and did not see a fuse for it. Is there something Im missing or what?
There is a fuse for the OBDII port.

If no one comes up with the answer before I get home, I will look it up and provide it to you this evening.

BC
Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Cigarette lighter fuse is where GM hides the power source for the OBDII
port--
Old 02-02-2011, 12:53 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Both my Cigarette lighter and auxiliary power in the center console have power, I guess I should have mentioned that before hand. Ill go check and see if there are any codes right now.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Well the only two codes that are pertinent to this are 80 Radio U1064H and U1016H. Dont know why I didnt think of looking for that this morning, but anyways does the loss of communication have anything to do with the door control module? I know I have heard a lot of people having trouble with that. It is 70* outside today and has been in the low 30's so there is a lot of condensation, not sure if that has anything to do with that.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well the only two codes that are pertinent to this are 80 Radio U1064H and U1016H. Dont know why I didnt think of looking for that this morning, but anyways does the loss of communication have anything to do with the door control module? I know I have heard a lot of people having trouble with that. It is 70* outside today and has been in the low 30's so there is a lot of condensation, not sure if that has anything to do with that.
If you have CONDENSATION inside the car, and on the inside the windows,,THATS BAD!

It means that you have a leak and the area under the carpets are soaked. The longer the interior has moisture in it, the worse the electrical system well deteriorate. Ask me how I know?

I had a clogged HVAC drain that continued to leak for several months. The BCM starting having some very strange issues .. So, I pulled out the BCM and opened it up. The back of the circuit board had lots of white deposits and corrosion and some of the circuit traces were starting to deterorate.

SO,,, Move the drivers and passengers seat fully forward and on the rear wall behind the seats, you will see that you can lift it up the carpet flap. Lift it and slide your hand under the floor carpet and the padding (jute underlayment) and see if either side is wet or damp in the area under the seat.

Let me know what you find.

Bill
Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
If you have CONDENSATION inside the car, and on the inside the windows,,THATS BAD!

It means that you have a leak and the area under the carpets are soaked. The longer the interior has moisture in it, the worse the electrical system well deteriorate. Ask me how I know?

I had a clogged HVAC drain that continued to leak for several months. The BCM starting having some very strange issues .. So, I pulled out the BCM and opened it up. The back of the circuit board had lots of white deposits and corrosion and some of the circuit traces were starting to deterorate.

SO,,, Move the drivers and passengers seat fully forward and on the rear wall behind the seats, you will see that you can lift it up the carpet flap. Lift it and slide your hand under the floor carpet and the padding (jute underlayment) and see if either side is wet or damp in the area under the seat.

Let me know what you find.

Bill
Its parked in the garage and does not have any leaks. I opened up all the windows and doors to the garage and did have the door open on the car which is why there was a little condensation in the car, it was mainly on the outside though. I did clear the codes and they have not come back yet. However, I have not checked to see if I have power yet.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Both my Cigarette lighter and auxiliary power in the center console have power, I guess I should have mentioned that before hand. Ill go check and see if there are any codes right now.
The correct fuse is:

Instrument Panel Fuse Panel. Fuse #29, C/LALDL 10 AMP
Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not trying to be a smart a** but I'm going to state the obvious - the ignition switch must be on to communicate with the PCM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kp1
Not trying to be a smart a** but I'm going to state the obvious - the ignition switch must be on to communicate with the PCM.
Yes I know I had the car running at one point, the codes have not popped back up but I still dont have power to the OBDII port. I will check that fuse tomorrow although my cigarette lighter still works.
This just seems really odd that I have no power to it and none of the codes have popped up. Could this be a ground problem?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Yes I know I had the car running at one point, the codes have not popped back up but I still dont have power to the OBDII port. I will check that fuse tomorrow although my cigarette lighter still works.
This just seems really odd that I have no power to it and none of the codes have popped up. Could this be a ground problem?

The correct fuse is:

Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

The correct fuse is:

It was that fuse, I had just been told that it used the cigarette lighter fuse by several different people and was thinking that may have been the same fuse. Anyways do you think it could have blown because of the loss of communication which I am assuming was cause by all the moisture in the air.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

always, ALWAYS, pay attention to Curlee.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redrckt97
always, ALWAYS, pay attention to Curlee.
Yes I know, I just had not had time to check due to other things going on. I guess I was just thinking the worst with the loss of communication.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

It was that fuse, I had just been told that it used the cigarette lighter fuse by several different people and was thinking that may have been the same fuse. Anyways do you think it could have blown because of the loss of communication which I am assuming was cause by all the moisture in the air.
The only thing that fuse powers is the OBDII connector on that one pin and the Courtesy Lamps thru relay #42 CTSL.\LP.
There really shouldn't be any reason for it to blow as far as the data link is concerned. Its power for you scanner or other OBDII devices. The LOSS of COMMS has nothing to do with that issue or vise versa

You may have a courtesy lamp issue some where.

BC
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

The only thing that fuse powers is the OBDII connector on that one pin and the Courtesy Lamps thru relay #42 CTSL.\LP.
There really shouldn't be any reason for it to blow as far as the data link is concerned. Its power for you scanner or other OBDII devices. The LOSS of COMMS has nothing to do with that issue or vise versa

You may have a courtesy lamp issue some where.

BC
Yea I didnt think that they were related but I am going to hope it is because of the extreme moisture we had. There were literally gallons of water on the garage floor and had to use the squeegee several times while taking the calipers off my dads car.
Either way I dont have much time left to track down the problem so I will leave it for my dad to deal with until I get back in June.

Get notified of new replies

To Power loss

Quick Reply: Power loss