C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Hood Light Partially lit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:06 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default LED Hood Light Partially lit?

I recently installed one of these LED Dome Units into the stock hood lamp housing. I also installed some LED Strip lights in the engine compartment that are wired into the same stock hood light switch

My situation is... when I open the hood, the dome light and strip LEDs all come on full power as expected. If I close the hood, just before it latches, I can see ALL the LEDs go off completely as expected. The strangeness happens when I open the hood and leave it open for an extended period. After about 10-15 minutes all the LED Strip lights go out (as expected), but the dome light LED array dims about 75%, but NEVER completely goes off? Again if I close the hood it does go off, but why is it staying partially lit when the hood stays fully open after the timeout sequence?

This is the Dome Light Array I installed:
http://www.oznium.com/flexible-5mm-led-dome
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem on my 98-I believe it's something to do with the load monitored circuit of the underhood lamp not seeing enough of a load on the circuit to do what it's supposed to do.
Fixable,though-I wired a tiny (about the size of the button display lamps on the A/C control) incandescent bulb into the circuit,and everything works as it should.
I used a 115v bulb(don't need the light,just need the load on the circuit),but a resistor would have probably done the same thing-the important thing is that you need to wire the bulb or resistor into power and ground on the LED array(won't work if you wire it in anywhere else),and just attach it to the back of the array with a dab of silicone(this is why tiny is better)
Basically it'll do what the resistor in the headlamp circuit does when you install lobuck HID's(so the lights open and close when you turn them on)
What you're going for is to fool the BCM into thinking nothing's changed,because apparently,it doesn't like it when we "mess with stuff"
Old 03-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I installed something similar to you and mine does the same. It goes to about 1/3 power after 10 or 15 mins and never turns off. I'm not sure why.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Carcass
I had the same problem on my 98-I believe it's something to do with the load monitored circuit of the underhood lamp not seeing enough of a load on the circuit to do what it's supposed to do.
Fixable,though-I wired a tiny (about the size of the button display lamps on the A/C control) incandescent bulb into the circuit,and everything works as it should.
I used a 115v bulb(don't need the light,just need the load on the circuit),but a resistor would have probably done the same thing-the important thing is that you need to wire the bulb or resistor into power and ground on the LED array(won't work if you wire it in anywhere else),and just attach it to the back of the array with a dab of silicone(this is why tiny is better)
Basically it'll do what the resistor in the headlamp circuit does when you install lobuck HID's(so the lights open and close when you turn them on)
What you're going for is to fool the BCM into thinking nothing's changed,because apparently,it doesn't like it when we "mess with stuff"
That makes a LOT of sense ! Thanks !

Toque
Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
I installed something similar to you and mine does the same. It goes to about 1/3 power after 10 or 15 mins and never turns off. I'm not sure why.

Looks like my setup.

Originally Posted by Carcass
Sounds logical.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:42 AM
seoulbrooks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car has gone into sleep mode and it takes much less Voltage/Current to keep the LEDS lit. Use a 470 ohm resistor and you will be in business. Or, as pointed out above you can just put an incandesent bulb in the circuit somewhere.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by seoulbrooks
The car has gone into sleep mode and it takes much less Voltage/Current to keep the LEDS lit. Use a 470 ohm resistor and you will be in business. Or, as pointed out above you can just put an incandesent bulb in the circuit somewhere.
Will a 470 ohm resistor on the (+) lead change the brightness of the LED's ?

Toque
Old 04-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I remember correctly(it's been over a year since I did it),if you only go to the positive lead,it will work differently,but it's still not right.

The resistor,or bulb needs to be wired into the positive AND negative leads that feed the LED array.(or between the 2 metal contacts that the original bulb clipped on to)
Either way,it won't dim the LED's-it doesn't drop the voltage,it just puts a load on the circuit.

That underhood lamp circuit seems to me to be a lot more complicated than it needs to be.....

Get notified of new replies

To LED Hood Light Partially lit?

Quick Reply: LED Hood Light Partially lit?