C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While I'm in there........

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default While I'm in there........

I'm replacing my harmonic balancer with an ATI unit along with the ARP bolt/washer. I thought "while I'm in there" I might as well replace the timing chain with a C5-R from Katech and replace my oil pump with a Melling. Besides a cam change, what else is there to do "while I'm in there?"
Thanks.
Spaggs
Old 04-17-2019, 08:36 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

If you're gonna do a cam, this might quickly add valvetrain to the list. Pushrods, valve springs, rocker arms, etc. It's easy to get carried away. What do you want to do?
Old 04-17-2019, 09:36 PM
scorpiofox69
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 146 Posts

Definitely rocker arms. Oh the horror stories of failure.

Good call getting after that HB. I have that slated with my cam/heads upgrade over the summer here in LV.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:25 PM
Spaggs
Racer

I've changed my valve springs to the GM Blue ones and did the trunnion upgrade. I do HPDE events and am looking for a car that is dependable. I've done a whole lot of "tightening up" like Bilstein Sport Shocks, Moog lower ball joints, Tick Master Cylinder, RPS BC-2 clutch, Katech remote bleeder and belt tensioner, poly bushings, motor and tran mounts, MGW shifter, Gatorback Belts, silicone hoses, Setrab 925 oil cooler, Dewitts radiator, brake cooling and stainless steel pistons, Sparco race seats, AMT seat rails, Brey-Krause harness bar, Sabelt harnesses, Hans, etc. I used to race a VW Rabbit in SCCA IT-C, so my 03' Z has more than enough power for me. I just want to help it stay together as long as possible before having a rebuild or go with an LS-3.
Thanks for asking.
Spaggs
Old 04-18-2019, 07:14 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

The ATI harmonic balancer is keyed and ATI has a great kit for pinning the balancer to the crank. Think I would consider that since you have all the correct parts.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Thanks vettenuts. Good idea. I'll definitely do that.
Spaggs
Old 04-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I just went through this a couple of months ago when my balancer failed. My car has 194k miles on it!!
I also replaced my chain with the katech and installed a melling oil pump.
Since I changed the chain I also bought new upper and lower sprockets and added a timing chain dampener. My '04 Z had no dampener.
Obviously get a new timing cover seal!! I bought the Fel Pro timing cover gasket set and it came with everything for the front end...including new water pump gasket, oil pump seals as well as the timing cover seal.
Good luck!!! Stock up on beer!!
Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Originally Posted by Zmeister
I just went through this a couple of months ago when my balancer failed. My car has 194k miles on it!!
I also replaced my chain with the katech and installed a melling oil pump.
Since I changed the chain I also bought new upper and lower sprockets and added a timing chain dampener. My '04 Z had no dampener.
Obviously get a new timing cover seal!! I bought the Fel Pro timing cover gasket set and it came with everything for the front end...including new water pump gasket, oil pump seals as well as the timing cover seal.
Good luck!!! Stock up on beer!!
Thanks for the advise. I think I will do what you did and throw in an upper and lower sprocket along with a timing chain dampener. I've heard stories that some C5s come with dampener sockets and some don't.
What kind of dampener did you get?
I've been in contact with John Lane at ATI Performance Products about their crank pinning tool and he advised that if I was just going to replace the harmonic balancer, that tool # 918993 would do the job and if I was going to replace the oil pump, timing chain and sprockets that I should purchase their tool # 918993-1. So, 918993-1 it is.
I also got a Kent Moore flywheel locking tool and a SAC City Corvette alignment timing cover tool. I'm going to try and rent the harmonic balancer puller from Autozone.
Any other tools I need?
While I have the steering rack out, I'm going to install a DRM steering bushing. Can't hurt.
Spaggs
Old 04-20-2019, 09:29 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have a complete ATI pin kit I'll sell you cheaper than ati sells them for..
BTR has the dampener you need and BLOWNBLUEZ06 sell's a better chain than the C5-R

Last edited by Smoken1; 04-20-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaggs
Thanks for the advise. I think I will do what you did and throw in an upper and lower sprocket along with a timing chain dampener. I've heard stories that some C5s come with dampener sockets and some don't.
What kind of dampener did you get?
I've been in contact with John Lane at ATI Performance Products about their crank pinning tool and he advised that if I was just going to replace the harmonic balancer, that tool # 918993 would do the job and if I was going to replace the oil pump, timing chain and sprockets that I should purchase their tool # 918993-1. So, 918993-1 it is.
I also got a Kent Moore flywheel locking tool and a SAC City Corvette alignment timing cover tool. I'm going to try and rent the harmonic balancer puller from Autozone.
Any other tools I need?
While I have the steering rack out, I'm going to install a DRM steering bushing. Can't hurt.
Spaggs
I ended up getting a PowerBond replacement dampener. They seem to get great reviews on the forums and the price was great!! The engine is running smoother than ever!!
I wish I had pinned my crank. I thought about it at the very end and didn't feel like waiting to get the kit to do it.
I had a car buddy loan me most of the specialty tools that I didn't have. I had the flywheel locking tool but didn't have to use it. My clutch and emergency brake seemed to do the job fine. I was lucky.
Those timing cover alignment tools are great and worth every penny that they cost. I got the Mr. Gasket version only because it was cheaper and it worked great!
If I had known about the DRM steering bushing I probably would have gotten one of those!!
Since my car has a lot of miles I went ahead and did the water pump and power steering pump as well as an aluminum GM power steering pump pulley. Did all new radiator and heater hoses as well and all new pulleys and tensioners for the belts.
Good luck with yours!!
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The ATI harmonic balancer is keyed and ATI has a great kit for pinning the balancer to the crank. Think I would consider that since you have all the correct parts.

I did that when I installed my ATI balancer.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:54 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Spaggs
I've changed my valve springs to the GM Blue ones and did the trunnion upgrade. I do HPDE events and am looking for a car that is dependable. I've done a whole lot of "tightening up" like Bilstein Sport Shocks, Moog lower ball joints, Tick Master Cylinder, RPS BC-2 clutch, Katech remote bleeder and belt tensioner, poly bushings, motor and tran mounts, MGW shifter, Gatorback Belts, silicone hoses, Setrab 925 oil cooler, Dewitts radiator, brake cooling and stainless steel pistons, Sparco race seats, AMT seat rails, Brey-Krause harness bar, Sabelt harnesses, Hans, etc. I used to race a VW Rabbit in SCCA IT-C, so my 03' Z has more than enough power for me. I just want to help it stay together as long as possible before having a rebuild or go with an LS-3.
Thanks for asking.
Spaggs
Your LS6 is more reliable than a LS3. When it comes time for a rebuild I would do a finish hone on the block, re-ring the LS6 and put new bearings in it assuming you don't have catastrophic failure. On the Melling go with the high pressure stock volume pump.

You have a solid list of mods. If you want more power a cam is doable and still remain track friendly but I also understand being happy at stock power level. The things I would add are an Improved Racing baffle kit for the oil pan and a Doug Rippie Motorsports Delrin steering rack bushing.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pa...pan-p-743.html

Last edited by 93Polo; 04-24-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To While I'm in there........

Quick Reply: While I'm in there........