C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is front to back brake ratio 99to1

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Default what is front to back brake ratio 99to1

I have 1999 C5 my back brakes barely work they get warm when i drive and my parking brake barely work Is this normal. What should be ratio 90to 10 85to15 any help. AThanks.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you know the rear brakes aren't working?
(working brakes will get warm)

The parking brake is a totally separate system from the service brakes-it uses a shoe instead of pads,and it works on the small "drum" portion of the rear rotor.
It has a "star" adjuster on it like a standard drum brake,except that you need to remove the rear rotor to adjust it-a procedure that may have been overlooked at your last pad change.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Default ebrake

Originally Posted by Carcass

The parking brake is a totally separate system from the service brakes-it uses a shoe instead of pads,and it works on the small "drum" portion of the rear rotor.
It has a "star" adjuster on it like a standard drum brake,except that you need to remove the rear rotor to adjust it-a procedure that may have been overlooked at your last pad change.
Thanks i did not know that; that ebrake is diff system.I'll be out in garage 2day.THanks again.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:11 AM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helga203
I have 1999 C5 my back brakes barely work they get warm when i drive and my parking brake barely work Is this normal. What should be ratio 90to 10 85to15 any help. AThanks.
They normally say 70/30 on the ratio since the front does most of the stopping (probably due to the weight transfer). But the back should the there fair share. I would check out all of the brakes and replace any worn parts + bleed brakes completely. You don't want to take any risks with brakes not working properly.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:52 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JEEP/C5
They normally say 70/30 on the ratio since the front does most of the stopping (probably due to the weight transfer). But the back should the there fair share. I would check out all of the brakes and replace any worn parts + bleed brakes completely. You don't want to take any risks with brakes not working properly.
thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 06:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcass

And the lining on the ebrake is so thin it looks like they sprayed it on! Easy to wear it to nothing if you drive with it on when it is out of adjustment and not easy to feel.

Get notified of new replies

To what is front to back brake ratio 99to1

Quick Reply: what is front to back brake ratio 99to1