C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different Tie Down for Optima battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Number 23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different Tie Down for Optima battery?

I just bought an optima redtop battery for my C5Z(I know, I know about people's positives and negitives about these batteries but i'm not here to talk about that) and it's a little smaller than my AC Delco was and when I put the battery in and lock it down with the factory battery clamp it just slipped out easily. I was wondering if anyone else that has one of these batteries used the plastic tray system that comes with the battery to help secure it or did you buy a new tie down strap or did I just not get the tie down on right when I was tightening it down?

Thanks for any help
Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Number 23
........ or did I just not get the tie down on right when I was tightening it down?

Thanks for any help
That's kinda what I'm thinking.

Regardless of whether you have the 75/35 or the 34/78 (dual terminal), just make sure the battery is slid all the way rearward so the lip on the battery goes under the rear lip on the tray, then you can secure the front clamp. If I remember, my battery (34/78) came with a new hold-down clamp that had a semi-circular "C" shape in the middle so it can slide up against the middle of the battery's round shaped middle cell. I re-used my factory bolt.

HTH

Btw, if you have a mat under the battery, it prevents it from getting under the battery tray lip since the battery will sit a little too high.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 PM
2EZ 2SPD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one in mine 2 weeks ago and did not use the plastic tray I was able to get tight with the black rubber part with the screw in it, it went right into place.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 AM
lowflyer1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Optima

Mine came with a little plastic piece that replaces the factory one to clamp onto the edge of the battery.

Good tight fit.

If you didn't get one with the battery, you may have to look around for one, since the design doesn't seem to favor using the factory block.

Ken
Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

When I had an Optima red top in my Z06, the stock battery clamp worked just fine on the Optima. There should be a lip on the bottom edge of the Optima just like there was on the OEM battery. The stock clamp engages the lip and holds the battery down tight.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:12 AM
SMaster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

You need this:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi...s/adapters.pdf

It's the third one down and it's called a puck adapter. My 34/78 Optima came with one.

You may be able to slide the GM one toward the battery enough to get it to hold but I didn't try.

HTH
Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 AM
SJC5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflyer1
Mine came with a little plastic piece that replaces the factory one to clamp onto the edge of the battery.

Good tight fit.

If you didn't get one with the battery, you may have to look around for one, since the design doesn't seem to favor using the factory block.

Ken
Should have came with the Red Top if it had the original factory packaging.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I originally used the plastic base but you really dont need it.

If you make sure the lip on the Red Top tucks under the battery tray bracket and then use the stock tie down you'll be fine.

I've fitted both a Red Top and a Yellow Top to mine and I used the stock bracket.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I had no problem putting mine in.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I had no problem putting mine in.
Worked fine with stock hardware in mine too.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by C5FORFUN2
Worked fine with stock hardware in mine too.
...me too!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Number 23
Instructor

Ok i'll have to check it tomorrow when I look at it again. I will post back on it later with some pictures.

Smaster:
That's what i was thinking that was needed was some other type of battery tie-down.

I bought the battery from an Auto Zone dealer. It came with the plastic tray but didn't come with that adapter.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Pchild
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Number 23
Ok i'll have to check it tomorrow when I look at it again. I will post back on it later with some pictures.

Smaster:
That's what i was thinking that was needed was some other type of battery tie-down.

I bought the battery from an Auto Zone dealer. It came with the plastic tray but didn't come with that adapter.

Same issue for me. I bought my Red Top from Auto Zone, and it doesn't lock in place like the previous battery did. I didn't see a way to latch the stock bracket in place. I'll double check.

Keep me posted if you figure it out, I'm thinking we're going to need a different adapter.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Number 23
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pchild
Same issue for me. I bought my Red Top from Auto Zone, and it doesn't lock in place like the previous battery did. I didn't see a way to latch the stock bracket in place. I'll double check.

Keep me posted if you figure it out, I'm thinking we're going to need a different adapter.

I definitely will!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Redhawg
Instructor

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
...me too!
Me 3
Old 03-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Number 23
Instructor

I went up Saturday to take the battery back out. I put the battery back in without the optima tray system and used the stock clamp. Made sure it was tight and it stays in place with the factory clamp. Now there is some gap on the sides but i really shook the battery and tried to break it loose but it didn't budge. The first time I must have not had it seated properly or something. But if you want to get the optima clamp i'm sure it wouldn't hurt but the stock clamp seems fine. The optima tray system sitting on top of the factory tray definitely had the cables stretched a little to tight. Started right up and on the cluster was reading right at 14.2-14.3 volts steady.

Last edited by Number 23; 03-13-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Pchild
Pro

I'll have to try to reattach mine. I'll give it a go this weekend.

Thanks for the pictures!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Pchild
Pro

I don't think i had the rear of the battery latched in properly.

I sat it down forward over the "mounting plate" where the brace screws in to hold it down, then slid it back, and it seemed to latch the rear in place. then I was able to screw the front brace down, securing it in place perfectly.

Last time I just sat it down, and it must have been resting on top of where it latched in the rear.

Hope it helps someone.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:32 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I just went through this same issue the last few days. Finally figured mine out this morning. My hold down bolt wasn't going through the nut all the way. It would tighten up before the hold down got tight. So I ran a tap through the nut and a die over the bolt. Works great with the factory mount now and is tight.

Get notified of new replies

To Different Tie Down for Optima battery?

Quick Reply: Different Tie Down for Optima battery?