C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pull key, wait 10 seconds message

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:26 PM
darkstar.c5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pull key, wait 10 seconds message

I was at the car wash today and was going to pull my car forward, but i got the pull 10 second message on the DIC... there was no service column lock message. i did as instructed and my car started and operates normally... im a little paranoid though...

i did a search and read the sticky about this.. i just need a little clarification from you guys.. i know this subject has been beaten to death but i did not see anything that answers my question directly.

the way i read that is if i didn't get the service column lock message, then the pull, wait message is not necessarily related to the column lock. i have not done the bypass yet... i have a 2001 convertible, and it seems that my trouble would be a shut down in the fuel system, not an actually locked column.

excerpt:

A6 If you get the "Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds" message but no "Service Column Lock" message, it can sometimes be a symptom of your security system and related to your key pellet.

thanks!

constructive replies welcome
Old 03-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 98,if I insert the key,pull it out,quickly insert it again then start the car,I get the "pull key,etc..." message
If you stick the key into the switch,then pull it right back out,if you listen VERY closely,you will hear a faint "click" from the passenger side footwell,apx 1.5 seconds after the key is pulled out-if the key is reinserted and you start the car before you hear the click,the DIC will display the pull key message.
I've had a CLB installed for over 2 years,and my column lock was working fine when I installed it,so I think when it does this it's related to the security system(If I go ahead and start the car with the message displayed,the "security" light flashes),I don't know is the 2 mph fuel shutoff is activated,since I've never tried to drive the car with the message displayed-I've just done what it told me to and it works fine from then on.
This is how it works on my 98,it may have changed for the 01 models,but your symptoms sound very similar to mine.
I don't consider it a problem-I think it's the security system doing what it's supposed to do
Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 PM
darkstar.c5
Pro

Originally Posted by Carcass
On my 98,if I insert the key,pull it out,quickly insert it again then start the car,I get the "pull key,etc..." message
If you stick the key into the switch,then pull it right back out,if you listen VERY closely,you will hear a faint "click" from the passenger side footwell,apx 1.5 seconds after the key is pulled out-if the key is reinserted and you start the car before you hear the click,the DIC will display the pull key message.
come to think of it, i did re-insert the key trying to start it quickly so i could pull forward... hopefully thats what happened. i will keep my eye on it and think hard about getting a bypass kit. thanks so much for your input!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

As stupid as it sounds, 50% or more of the time this code is thrown is when your battery is low. Car starts ok but voltage is still low.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 PM
darkstar.c5
Pro

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
First if you look up the error message in the owners manual it tells you that "...the steering column lock system has detected a problem while disengaging the column lock......" It is NOT a security system problem.

If you left the keys in the ignition while you were washing the car, then that is the cause.

If you did not leave the key in the ignition then you may well have a column lock problem developing.
i did indeed have the key in the ignition while it was off, then tried to restart it quickly...
Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 PM
jacobsjp
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcass
I don't consider it a problem-I think it's the security system doing what it's supposed to do

You might want to clean the resistor in the key with some alcohol just to be safe.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobsjp

You might want to clean the resistor in the key with some alcohol just to be safe.
A soft pencil eraser works even better.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 PM
darkstar.c5
Pro

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
A soft pencil eraser works even better.
will do, thanks everyone for your valuable input.

Get notified of new replies

To pull key, wait 10 seconds message

Quick Reply: pull key, wait 10 seconds message