C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Top - Adjustments To Make It Fit Tighter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Amherst
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Targa Top - Adjustments To Make It Fit Tighter?

Before I get flamed, I have been trying to do some searching but cannot seem to find info on how to adjust the latches and levers that tighten the targa top into place.

I recently came into possession of a good condition glass top to replace my old one. Problem is, the front latches don't get as tight as I'd like.

Anyone have directions or tips for making adjustments and getting the front latches to hold tighter?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:46 AM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just started removing interior trim pieces to get at the latches. it is pretty evident how to move the latches once you get to them. you may want to mark the original position...I didn't but it might be helpful. maybe someone has more technical instructions since mine could use further adjustments.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Amherst
Instructor

So you're saying the adjustment is on the car itself, and not on the top? My last top fit perfectly so I assumed this newer one had the issue.

Originally Posted by 00 Rooster
I just started removing interior trim pieces to get at the latches. it is pretty evident how to move the latches once you get to them. you may want to mark the original position...I didn't but it might be helpful. maybe someone has more technical instructions since mine could use further adjustments.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:15 AM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd like to know about this as well
Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 AM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe there is an adjustment on your targo also (go look) but the one on the car itself at the top of the windshield provides a pretty good amount of adjustment for the front of the roof. The adjustment is mainly up and down but there is a tiny little bit of side to side if memory serves.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

1. Perform one or more of the following five adjustment procedures to properly align the roof lift off panel.
2. To adjust the front striker for up down roof alignment perform the following steps:
3. Remove the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.
A. For major up down roof adjustment loosen the striker bolts and reposition the latch striker up or down.
B. For minor up or down roof adjustment loosen the striker outboard bolt and slightly loosen the inboard bolt, pivot the striker on the inboard bolt in 2 mm (0.08 in) increments up or down.
Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
C. Tighten the striker bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof front latch handle striker bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
D. When the striker is properly adjusted the handle will snap closed.
4. Install the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.

5. To adjust the front latch handle forward or rearward perform the following steps:
. Loosen the latch handle bolts.
A. Position the latch handle forward or rearward. Maintain a minimum of 2 mm (0.08 in) clearance between latch handle and the latch striker to avoid squeaks and rattles.
B. Assure the latch handle base is parallel to the striker to provide clearance to the sunshade mirror door.
C. Tighten the latch handle bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof front latch handle bolts to 13 N•m (10 lb ft).

For major rear latch adjustment adjust the rear latch striker performing the following steps:
A. Remove the roof lift off panel.
B. Remove the roof bow center interior trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Rear Roof Bow in Interior Trim.
C. Loosen the rear latch striker attaching bolts.
D. Adjust the position of the latch striker forward or rearward for major adjustment.
E. Tighten the striker attaching bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof rear striker bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
F. Install the roof lift off panel.

For minor rear latch adjustment, adjust the latch handle hook one turn at a time to achieve moderate pressure to the latch as follows.
. Remove the roof lift off panel.
A. Loosen the set screw locking the latch hook.
B. Turn the hook in to tighten or out to loosen.
C. Tighten the set screw.
D. Install the roof panel.

To adjust the rear locator perform the following steps:
. With the roof installed on the vehicle loosen the locator mounting bolts.
A. Reposition the locator.
B. Tighten the mounting bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof rear locator to locator bracket bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
The following users liked this post:
aphaynes (07-28-2016)
Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 AM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Amherst
So you're saying the adjustment is on the car itself, and not on the top? My last top fit perfectly so I assumed this newer one had the issue.
I didn't realize there was adjustments on the top as well but it looks like guido7834 came through with proper instructions
Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Amherst
Instructor

Thank you Guido7834!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:44 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Just reposting something I found on the forum!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:50 PM
DWC4
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Targa top adjustment - downward to stop rattling

My top in the last 7 months since buying this 2003 began to make an awful rattle on bumpy roads. It took me awhile to figure out it was the top, my old C4 never had such issues. But as above, it's a quick fix. Here's just a couple more helpful bits of info.

Remove the top and as you see in the 'looking down' on the roof mounted latch photo, there is a bolt at each end that adjusts this latch up/down. That's a 10mm. I adjusted mine without removing the beige trim piece (though I recommend you follow the directions above to do it right and avoid any chance of tearing up this trim!), carefully pulling back the trim piece to get the open ended wrench in place and allow it to turn. It only take about 1 1/2 revolutions to loosen it enough to tap the latch firmly downward, thus tightening it up. Oh and I only adjusted the outer (nearest the door) bolt on each one and that worked fine for me. I would use as smooth and skinny a wrench as possible to lessen the possible ill effects on the trim, less rubbing, less friction if it does rub. One of mine was torn already, clearly by some previous owner doing it the same way but not being careful enough.

As in the excellent instructions above, I first marked the location of each bracket, and I only tapped the outer end down about - well, about the thickness of a quarter or a bit more. Now not even the nastiest bumps cause the top to rattle.

[IMG]https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/640x480
/80-targa_roof_mount_right_dc6edd4edb309561b 5c3ab5bbca216d3fa020997.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images    

Last edited by DWC4; 08-05-2014 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aphaynes (07-28-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Targa Top - Adjustments To Make It Fit Tighter?

Quick Reply: Targa Top - Adjustments To Make It Fit Tighter?