C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak front shock absorbers driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:00 AM
arthur6924
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak front shock absorbers driving me nuts

I have had a continuing problem with the electronic real-time suspension with a 2000 Corvette regarding shock absorber squeak when hot and at low speed. At 2000 miles the rear left shock absorbers started to squeak and it was diagnosed as a bad shot absorber which was replaced under warranty. Several weeks later a squeak started in the rear right shock absorber it was also replaced under warranty. At 2800 miles the front shocks started to squeak and were replaced along with two tires. The car now has 4400 miles and the front shocks are squeaking again. This only occurs when hot and at very low speed over bumps. I have verified the noise is coming from the front shock absorbers using audio acoustics to actually listen to the internals of the shock absorber. However this time there is no unusual tire wear. I have been advised that Monroe makes direct replacements for the electronic suspension, they also advised me they were aware of this problem regarding the original Delco shock absorbers. I am dumbfounded by this problem I even took time to drive two other cars a 99 and 2000 which exhibited the same problem. If anyone has had experience in resolving this problem I would appreciate your help.

Art

Last edited by arthur6924; 03-17-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:08 AM
ShawnFate
Racer

interesting, my 2000 has over 130,000 miles and my shocks are still fine and dont squeek.
does lack of use make them go bad?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
arthur6924
Navigator

Default Squeaky shock

I have had many Corvettes including a ZR1 with electronic suspension and never had this problem. I've driven several 99 to 2000 corvettes which have exhibited the same problem. Try going over a speed bump extremely slow and listen for the squeak. Does your car have real-time dampening F45 suspension and what climate you live in?

Art

Last edited by arthur6924; 03-17-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 AM
ShawnFate
Racer

Originally Posted by arthur6924
I have had many Corvettes including a ZR1 with electronic suspension and never had this problem. I've driven several 99 to 2000 corvettes which have exhibited the same problem. Try going over a speed bump extremely slow and listen for the squeak. Does your car have real-time dampening F45 suspension and what climate you live in?

Art
Yes, I have F45 , I live in Arkansas so its hot and humid in the summer.
I'm guessing your noise is not dependant on which setting you are using ?

P.S. I'll hit some bumps this weekend and report back, But i have not noticed it in the past and i am always listening for a belt squeal I think my AC tensioner is the one causing me problems.

Last edited by ShawnFate; 03-17-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:41 AM
arthur6924
Navigator

It appears to be most prevalent in the touring position and when cold there is no noise. When the shocks get hot that is when it occurs. If I am driving at 5 mph or above there is no noise. It is only under certain driving conditions that it will occur.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:56 AM
ShawnFate
Racer

Originally Posted by arthur6924
It appears to be most prevalent in the touring position and when cold there is no noise. When the shocks get hot that is when it occurs. If I am driving at 5 mph or above there is no noise. It is only under certain driving conditions that it will occur.
My car is lowered so i use perf when going over stuff to keep from scraping as bad, Less bouncing it seems. I'll try it on tour and see what happens.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
ShawnFate
Racer

ok i just tried this on tour and again on sport ( which i never use) . no squeaks on either setting.
people probably thought i was nuts as i kept turning around to drive over the speed bump..lol
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
neaz
Intermediate

The only resolution that I'm aware of is to replace them. I've not heard of Monroe (or any other aftermarket supplier) making a replacement which will work on the F45 system. I put the Z06 shocks with simulators on my '01 and have squeak free ever since. Your issue isn't mileage so much as it is age I think, stuff just degrades over the course of 12 years
Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I purchased my 2000 in Jan of this year with 23,000 mi. Everytime I drive over any small bump I hear a "chirp" sound, sounds like a Star Wars gun battle, coming from the shock area regardless of the weather...However, if I manually push up and down on the car front or back of the car, I can not replicate the sound.

I asked the prior owner about it and he said the car did it from day one. He said he brought it to the dealer but they could not find the reason either. He offered to put it up on his own lift so we could check it together, but unfortunately, he passed away last week.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:04 AM
BANSHEEMIKE
4th Gear

Any solution to this problem. 99' squeaks on speed bumps and rough roads at slow speeds when in tour but stops as soon as I use sport or performance. I have removed the top shock bushings and lubed with 3m silicone lube, checked for any rubbing on the upper control arm but nothing seems to stop the **** squeak.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:29 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by BANSHEEMIKE
Any solution to this problem. 99' squeaks on speed bumps and rough roads at slow speeds when in tour but stops as soon as I use sport or performance. I have removed the top shock bushings and lubed with 3m silicone lube, checked for any rubbing on the upper control arm but nothing seems to stop the **** squeak.
Mine squeaks in all 3 settings. Can you replicate the squeak by pushing up and down on the fenders or does it occur only when being driven?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
BANSHEEMIKE
4th Gear

Only when driving in the tour position. Sometimes if I hit a very rough section of roadway I will get a couple of squeaks in the sport position so that probably means that they will start in squeaking in all positions.

Did you notice any difference with the outside temperature? Mine seem to be fairly quiet when I first drive it in the mornings then get louder.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sub!

I have f45. The squeak I hear reminds me of a aircraft touching down. It does not happen all the time but I do not know if its temperature related or not. I also have a horrible squeak in the back suspension that I have been unable to find or fix. I have suspected the strut but I don't have any evidence to back that up. It has been driving me crazy for over a year. several attempts to fix were not successful.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 PM
RichAshley-Black99
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine were doing the same crap , I ditched them and installed C6 Z06 shocks and sway bays. So much better I never really thought the F45 was that great IMHO
Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by BANSHEEMIKE
Only when driving in the tour position. Sometimes if I hit a very rough section of roadway I will get a couple of squeaks in the sport position so that probably means that they will start in squeaking in all positions.

Did you notice any difference with the outside temperature? Mine seem to be fairly quiet when I first drive it in the mornings then get louder.
No, mine "e e's" hot or cold, so embarrassing! As I drive through a parking lot, I feel people are looking at my car not because it's soo shiney or because of the great color, but because of the "e e" sound it makes as I go over the speed bumps
Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
BANSHEEMIKE
4th Gear

Problem solved!

Bought a set of low mileage F45 shocks off Ebay. No squeaks at all now.

Also makes the car ride smoother and quieter.

Happy with my Vette again.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeak front shock absorbers driving me nuts

Quick Reply: Squeak front shock absorbers driving me nuts