C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels
Print Wikipost

C6 Z06 brake upgrade question on a C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
THE FLASH
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C6 Z06 brake upgrade question on a C5 Z06

I did a search 1st and could not find the answer to my question. I saw a lot of you need the "right wheel offset", but no specific numbers.

Here is my question:
what is the minimum wheel offset needed for the C6 Z06 brakes to fit (front and rear)?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:38 PM
260B4U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll put it this way i have the c6z brakes all the way around and i run stock c5 z06 wheels
4 oem 18x10.5 c5 zo6 rears on all 4 corners and the fronts clear the wheel by about 2mm or less in fact when i had the wheels repainted some of the paint got on the calipers while driving.. but it came off rears clear no problem
its really close but looks PIMP
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

The wheel offset depends entirely on the type of wheels you want to use. There is no 'one right number'. It depends on the design of the spokes...how thick they are, how far back into the wheel they project, etc. The only thing you can say for sure is that you need 18s to clear the diameter of the caliper. I have a template for the C6Z calipers I can send you if you so desire.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 PM
av8rdavid
Instructor

Can you send me the diagram?
Thanks a bunch!!!!!
av8rdavid@hotmail.com
Old 04-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Done!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've seen the advertised WCC package to put C6 Z06 onto a C5 Z06

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...04-c5-z06.aspx

question -- the picture looks like the C6 calipers will bolt directly onto the C5 caliper brackets since there is no bracket in the picture on the WCC website

is that true?

just change rotors, bolt calipers on, hook up hydraulics and good to go ??
Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 AM
vetfeva2
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NealB
I've seen the advertised WCC package to put C6 Z06 onto a C5 Z06

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...04-c5-z06.aspx

question -- the picture looks like the C6 calipers will bolt directly onto the C5 caliper brackets since there is no bracket in the picture on the WCC website

is that true?

just change rotors, bolt calipers on, hook up hydraulics and good to go ??
You are correct on all aspects. The C6 Z06 brakes mount to where the C5 bracket was installed. It is completely plug and play. I bought and installed the kit from WCC about 2 weeks ago. No issues at all.
The following users liked this post:
SCALLOPED91 (08-30-2017)
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Surprised you couldn't find anything in your search as this was posted to death a couple of years ago. Easiest fix is to measure form the outside of your front caliper to the inside of the spokes on your present stock setup. The front calipers for the C6 Z06 require 3/4" more clearance. Any less than that will require a spacer or a wheel with that much more offset. The rears will fit fine with stock wheels. I got the 5/8" offset kit from DRM(a forum sponsor) with their hardened wheel studs.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tiojames
Surprised you couldn't find anything in your search as this was posted to death a couple of years ago. Easiest fix is to measure form the outside of your front caliper to the inside of the spokes on your present stock setup. The front calipers for the C6 Z06 require 3/4" more clearance. Any less than that will require a spacer or a wheel with that much more offset. The rears will fit fine with stock wheels. I got the 5/8" offset kit from DRM(a forum sponsor) with their hardened wheel studs.
thanks, but I already (perhaps stupidly) sold my OEM stuff

car on jack stands awaiting UPS guy

I'll bolt on a new wheel and measure

vendor says BBKs no problem
Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 AM
av8rdavid
Instructor

I'm in trouble....My car is also on jackstands waiting for the kit to arrive so..... I printed and tested the template to check clearence and sure enough, it doesn't clear...
I'm running reprod. C6 Z06 18 x 9.5 fronts and 19 x 10 rears..The rears look like they would clear with about a 1/4 inch hub centric spacer but the front is wayyyyyyy off needing a 1.5" bolt on spacer..
I now have to figure out what this is going to look like...If the front sticks out beyond the fenders, i'm out...
Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 AM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Originally Posted by av8rdavid
I'm in trouble....My car is also on jackstands waiting for the kit to arrive so..... I printed and tested the template to check clearence and sure enough, it doesn't clear...
I'm running reprod. C6 Z06 18 x 9.5 fronts and 19 x 10 rears..The rears look like they would clear with about a 1/4 inch hub centric spacer but the front is wayyyyyyy off needing a 1.5" bolt on spacer..
I now have to figure out what this is going to look like...If the front sticks out beyond the fenders, i'm out...
Order up some Ace Slick wheels or Ace ZR1 wheels. They are affordable and will clear the C6 Z06 brakes and look somewhat like C6 Z06 wheels. (You can get them in chrome too!) Then, sell your C6 Z06 repro's and you won't be out much money. You can get the wheels off of the big auction site or through one of our vendors (preferable).

Best of luck!

Last edited by cdn ws6; 04-09-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:37 PM
av8rdavid
Instructor

Thanks cdn_ws6!
I checked out a few big auction sites and found original equipment C6 Z06 wheels. Question is, do they fit the C5 and will they clear? Dumb assumption is they would since they are made for the Z06...
Is the template for the front, rear or both?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 AM
av8rdavid
Instructor

Ok, its almost 3am and i've come up with this:
The factory front 18 x 9.5 with a 40 mm offset C6 Z06 wheels fit but stick out to the point it looks disgusting....
THe factory rear 19 x 12 with a 59mm offset does NOT fit unless you add spacers (Make it stick out even more towards the outside of the quarter panel OR you "mini tub" your car which is basically butcher the wheel well and make it wider towards the inside and STILL (from what I've seen in pictures) the wheels sticks out beyond the fenders...I'm out on butchering the car....

Im left to think the Ace ZR1 wheels (Or Z06 style if available) will be the way to go IF they don't stick out like a sore thumb outside the fenders....CDN_WS6, I believe you found the solution....

Last edited by av8rdavid; 04-10-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Remember that the OEM C6Z rims will most likley have much thinner spokes than the repos. I tried using C5Z reproduction wheels with these brakes, and they interfered like crazy, while the factory original rims fit(it was close, but they fit). Below is the repo rim showing how much interference there was. I dont recall what the offset for the reproduction was, but it was definitely within 2mm of the factory rim. Wheel offset simply doesnt tell the whole tale.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 AM
av8rdavid
Instructor

Oh my! That's pretty much what my currenty wheels look like as far as clearence...I'm going to just bite the bullet, buy the ACE Slick Z06 wheels that are said to clear these bad boy calipers.
They are 18" X 9.5" FRONT AND 19" X 11" REAR with the offset required to clear the C6 Z06 brake kit without sticking out from the fenders and need of spacers.
Today I pulled the front hubs assemblies off, did some sanding and painting on them removing the nasty rust and grime. They look better than new with metallic paint and clear coat! Rears are next as well as the straining task of replacing the e-brake shoes with new ones.Thats the good thing about waiting for parts, you have all the time in the world to clean up the things you'll never see.
I also removed the knuckles and wet sanded them back to new and re-installed.
Pics coming soon.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:46 AM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Ace slicks will look real good on the car and the vendors says they will clear that big brake kit. I believe factoryracecar sold his old FRC to a guy that but Ace slick wheels on it and they cleared, no problem.

I know when I was switching to C6 Z06 brakes the wheels were the biggest issue.

Are you going with hyperblack, chrome or machine finish?

Best of luck and post up pics when you're done. Also, make sure the seller confirms they will clear your brakes on a C5. I am 99.99% sure they will fit perfect but just confirm before ordering.

Take care!

Originally Posted by av8rdavid
Oh my! That's pretty much what my currenty wheels look like as far as clearence...I'm going to just bite the bullet, buy the ACE Slick Z06 wheels that are said to clear these bad boy calipers.
They are 18" X 9.5" FRONT AND 19" X 11" REAR with the offset required to clear the C6 Z06 brake kit without sticking out from the fenders and need of spacers.
Today I pulled the front hubs assemblies off, did some sanding and painting on them removing the nasty rust and grime. They look better than new with metallic paint and clear coat! Rears are next as well as the straining task of replacing the e-brake shoes with new ones.Thats the good thing about waiting for parts, you have all the time in the world to clean up the things you'll never see.
I also removed the knuckles and wet sanded them back to new and re-installed.
Pics coming soon.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 PM
av8rdavid
Instructor

cdn_ws6:
There was a vendor on the "big auction" site that was offering them and I asked him if they clear and he confirmed they did...Not only that, but the OEM TPMS sensors fit too!
I've been driving with no tpms sensors since I upgraded to the repro. C6 Z06 wheels a few years ago and ever since have not had the original tpms sensors so I've been used to hitting reset every time I start the car.
West Coast Corvettes had free shipping and a free adams detail kit so I went with them.
Still waiting on the kit to arrive but Paul at west coast corvettes promised it would leave this week.....

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 brake upgrade question on a C5 Z06

Old 04-19-2011, 11:03 PM
av8rdavid
Instructor

Got the package in the mail today! WOW!!!!!!!! All I can say is they're HUGE..I wonder why I waited so long to do this upgrade..
The packaging was very well done but one of the calipers has a small chip. No biggie since I recieved 5 pints of motul instead of 4 and a free adams sample kit.
Painting the rotor hats and edges and fully curing the paint before install.
Ace slicks are in the mail....Need to order tires now.

Last edited by av8rdavid; 04-19-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 AM
dchifi
6th Gear

Default C6 Z06 brake upgrade question on a C5 Z06 THE FLASH

I purchased my 2002 C5 Coupe in the fall of 2010. It had the C6 Z06 Brake Kit [calipers & rotors]. Also had C6 Z06 wheels front 18"x9.5" & rear 19"x11". The wheels did not clear the calipers without spacers. This Spring [2011] the car is getting a make-over which includes C6 Grand Sport wheels front 18"x9.5" & rear 19"x12". The off-set on the Grand Sport wheels clear the calipers without spacers.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 AM
av8rdavid
Instructor

The ace slicks wheels clear the calipers with no spacers needed from the test fit I did. They have a 58mm offset and I believe 11" in the rear is as much as you can get away with before having to mini tub the rear end.
I still have to have the tires mounted and balanced but during the test fit, the rear is TIGHT...There is barely ANY clearance with the rear caliper (Maybe 1-2mm) and the width of the rear wheels might not clear the rear stock tub...
We'll see in the days to follow.

Last edited by av8rdavid; 05-04-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 brake upgrade question on a C5 Z06