Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
bsalie99
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Boxford ma
Default Replaced the EBCM, now car wont start

I just replaced the EBCM in my 2002 Z06, The car ran befor I started the swap. I swaped it out with a new GM unit. I then got in and cleared all the codes. When I tried to start the car I just get some clicks and the PCM and TCS both show the No Comm code?
what went wrong?
bsalie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
lucky131969
Tech Contributor
 
lucky131969's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Send a message via Yahoo to lucky131969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsalie99 View Post
I just replaced the EBCM in my 2002 Z06, The car ran befor I started the swap. I swaped it out with a new GM unit. I then got in and cleared all the codes. When I tried to start the car I just get some clicks and the PCM and TCS both show the No Comm code?
what went wrong?
What did you do exactly(include all steps). Post your codes.
lucky131969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
ajg1915
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ajg1915's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: West Norriton PA
Default

It's because they need to be sync up.

My boo boo thought it said "BCM" not EBCM" my bad.

Last edited by ajg1915; 04-03-2011 at 04:51 PM.
ajg1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
bsalie99
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Boxford ma
Default

I will get the codes again later, What I did is as follows
The car is on a lift
I disconnected the MAF and removed the air bridge of the vairam intake
I disconnecter the upper coolant hose
I unplugged the 2 wire harnesses to the EBCM
I then removed the 6 screws
I seperated the EBCM from the pump
I reinstalled the new GM EBCM
reinstalled the 6 screws
I reattatched the 2 wire harnesses
then the upper coolant hose
then the air bridge and MAF
I then cleared all the codes in the car
I tried to start the car and it turned over 1 time then click
The car now says PCM no comm, TCS no comm when I pull the codes
I then unbolted the grounds just above the EBCM and cleaned them and reattatched them, Still get the No Comm errors and just clicks whan the key is turned
I tried to check Batt volts and got 12.02, but my meter is not trustworthy.
I then tried to start it again and no luck , and now the dash says low voltage
bsalie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
dougbfresh
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Default

Disconnect the EBCM just to rule it out-should not have anything directly to do with starting since the car can run without the module installed.
dougbfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
lucky131969
Tech Contributor
 
lucky131969's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Send a message via Yahoo to lucky131969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsalie99 View Post
I will get the codes again later, What I did is as follows
The car is on a lift
I disconnected the MAF and removed the air bridge of the vairam intake
I disconnecter the upper coolant hose
I unplugged the 2 wire harnesses to the EBCM
I then removed the 6 screws
I seperated the EBCM from the pump
I reinstalled the new GM EBCM
reinstalled the 6 screws
I reattatched the 2 wire harnesses
then the upper coolant hose
then the air bridge and MAF
I then cleared all the codes in the car
I tried to start the car and it turned over 1 time then click
The car now says PCM no comm, TCS no comm when I pull the codes
I then unbolted the grounds just above the EBCM and cleaned them and reattatched them, Still get the No Comm errors and just clicks whan the key is turned
I tried to check Batt volts and got 12.02, but my meter is not trustworthy.
I then tried to start it again and no luck , and now the dash says low voltage
check your battery cables for security. Try a jump start, or put it on the charger.
lucky131969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
madmatt9471
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
madmatt9471's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----1/4 10.34 @ 135 MPH (New ET Eventually!)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbfresh View Post
Disconnect the EBCM just to rule it out-should not have anything directly to do with starting since the car can run without the module installed.
Give that a shot -

Plus are you sure GM got you the correct part number for you year Vette?

There are many, especially if yours has AH and the one you purchased does not and visa versa.

Do the numbers match up on the two? new one and old one?

Let us know the numbers if possible.

Thanks,Matt
madmatt9471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
bsalie99
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Boxford ma
Default

The EBCM match exactly and are what the GM computer says goes with my VIN
I may try a battery swap


Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt9471 View Post
Give that a shot -

Plus are you sure GM got you the correct part number for you year Vette?

There are many, especially if yours has AH and the one you purchased does not and visa versa.

Do the numbers match up on the two? new one and old one?

Let us know the numbers if possible.

Thanks,Matt
bsalie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
Redeasysport
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06
 
Redeasysport's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Send a message via AIM to Redeasysport
Default

Battery
Redeasysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill Curlee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Gales Ferry CT
Default

I agree,, disconnect the new EBTCM. ry cables are properly torqued in place. Make sure that the batte Then clear ALL the DTCs and try to start it. If it start doesn't start, read and post the DTCs. If you see NO COMS, open BOTH doors and shake the crap out of the accordion tubes and see if that changes things.


BC
Bill Curlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
bsalie99
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Boxford ma
Default

Dropped in a new red top opti battery and cleaned up the batt cable connections and it started on the 1st crank
so one problem solved, but I still get No Comms to the ABS code
Do I need to go to the dealer and have them flash it with a tech II?
bsalie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
lucky131969
Tech Contributor
 
lucky131969's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Send a message via Yahoo to lucky131969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsalie99 View Post
Dropped in a new red top opti battery and cleaned up the batt cable connections and it started on the 1st crank
so one problem solved, but I still get No Comms to the ABS code
Do I need to go to the dealer and have them flash it with a tech II?
No specific codes....or just no comm? You need to check for 12 volts and ground to the connector. If good, swap in the old EBCM, and see if you get the same result.
lucky131969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Redeasysport
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06
 
Redeasysport's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Send a message via AIM to Redeasysport
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsalie99 View Post
Dropped in a new red top opti battery and cleaned up the batt cable connections and it started on the 1st crank
Redeasysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
madmatt9471
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
madmatt9471's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----1/4 10.34 @ 135 MPH (New ET Eventually!)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsalie99 View Post
Dropped in a new red top opti battery and cleaned up the batt cable connections and it started on the 1st crank
so one problem solved, but I still get No Comms to the ABS code
Do I need to go to the dealer and have them flash it with a tech II?
Dude check the fuses under the panel in the engine compartment!

I had one pop and it did the same thing - there will be a MAXI fuse and a smaller one so check "BOTH" - my smaller one is the one that popped! Replace it and perfect -

don't know why it did it nor has it done it again.

Thanks,Matt
__________________
madmatt9471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill Curlee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Gales Ferry CT
Default

EBTCM is a plug and play. No dealer requierd. I agree, FUSES, and the ground. Please read and post the codes with the IGNITION ON engine running. Clear ALL the DTCs and see if anything returns.
Bill Curlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
bsalie99
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Boxford ma
Default

Just checked the underhood fuses, all were good. I am worried that it is a harness issue, and that could cost me big
bsalie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #17
bsalie99
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Boxford ma
Default

codes with or without enging running?
bsalie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #18
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bill Curlee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Gales Ferry CT
Default

Time to break out the meter and get some critical voltage readings.. You have to PROVE that you have the correct voltages / and ground paths. Just because the fuses are good, doesn't mean that voltage is there.

BC
Bill Curlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #19
lucky131969
Tech Contributor
 
lucky131969's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Hoffman Estates IL
Send a message via Yahoo to lucky131969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsalie99 View Post
codes with or without enging running?
How exactly did you go about determining, that the EBCM was bad in the first place?
lucky131969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #20
bsalie99
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Boxford ma
Default

I pulled the codes when i got the car and got
P1571
C1248
C1254
U1040
and a code for the outside air temp B0333
Brandon at ABSfixer said it was the EBCM that was fried and that he could not fix those codes
So I got a New EBCM from a dealer swaped it in and now get no comms
bsalie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Replaced the EBCM, now car wont start
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1999, brake, c1248, c5, car, control, corvette, ebcm, electronic, fix, ground, module, repalce, start, test, unit, wont


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Emails & Password Backup