C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest C5 HOW-TO. Evaaaar. HUD Dash Shrinkage Fix

Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM
env00
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question...

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
I know this thread is old as sin, but I just did this a couple months ago and it worked great. And bumping this thread could possibly help other Corvette owners so its worth the bump IMO.
Thanks! This is new to me.

Question -- when you insert the piping around the HUD/bezel, do you just slide it in or do you have to lift the HUD a bit and slip the piping under? Never done this before.

Thinking of doing the same -- my HUD is doing the same thing (2000 coupe).

Thanks,
Eric
Old 04-26-2014, 10:46 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
OK...so I ordered 3 feet of it as a "just in case my measurement was a lil short" and installed it this morning. I DEFINATLY could have gotten away with just ordering 2 feet of it. Took maybe 10 minutes to do and looks nice. I'll post pics later if anyone wants to see mine.

OP-- on a great lil DIY.
Nope. 2 feet 3 inches.

The gold mark on the piping is where I left a little to make a minor adjustment if needed.

I wasn't real happy about having to do this, but I had 3 hours of dremmeling and fitting trying to repair GMs handiwork. The problem is they bubbafied the original dash for the HUD. And without sealing the cut they made, the dash split like a butterflied shrimp after cooking in the sun. My car has been garages since I bought it in 99 too.

Last edited by Smokin Joe; 04-26-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 AM
PNW Vett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
I know this thread is old as sin, but I just did this a couple months ago and it worked great. And bumping this thread could possibly help other Corvette owners so its worth the bump IMO.
Thanks R6! I installed a new HUD bezel recently because the old one was cracked in a couple of places. No matter how hard I tired I could not get the new bezel to not leave any gap and I have a little gap in the back, so I need the piping. The new bezel looks a lot better than the old cracked one, but I hate that gap. Where did you get the piping? Do you just slide it under the bezel all the way around? Looks like it would be difficult to get to up where the dash meets the windshield.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW Vett
Thanks R6! I installed a new HUD bezel recently because the old one was cracked in a couple of places. No matter how hard I tired I could not get the new bezel to not leave any gap and I have a little gap in the back, so I need the piping. The new bezel looks a lot better than the old cracked one, but I hate that gap. Where did you get the piping? Do you just slide it under the bezel all the way around? Looks like it would be difficult to get to up where the dash meets the windshield.
go to ebay and type in what the OP did under the section he listed. It took a couple of minutes but I found it last week. Standard shipping arrived in a couple of days. It cost $5 plus shipping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheapest C5 HOW-TO. Evaaaar. HUD Dash Shrinkage Fix