C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I REALLY need some input. loud popping with lowered C5

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 PM
NZiggy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I REALLY need some input. loud popping with lowered C5

Ok so I just recently bought the eibach lowering bolts and lowered my 99 frc (z51 suspension) about 2 inches front and rear. I got the car aligned and its in the green in camber and caster just hardly red in the toe. BUT my real problem is just driving down the road or slowly backing out of the driveway, taking corners, I hear a loud popping type sound coming from any of the four wheel wells. It sounds TERRIBLE and I have no idea what it is from. The wheel isn't touching any part of the car. I have Bilstein Nurburgring shocks. Does anyone have experience with this after lowering their c5 2 inches or any input will be great!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
NZiggy
Advanced

hmmm read up on bumpstops. Sounds like I'm bottoming out the shocks, time to buy some LG coilovers. What is the lowest anyone has gone with stock or Bilstein shocks and not had this problem?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:25 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i lowered my car on z06 sways and bilstien sport shocks...im slammed with after market bolts on 18 front and 20 rear wheels. seems like sway bar bushings or end links are suspect for making noise...try greasing those up and see if the noise goes away.

p.s. i used to bottom out on stock shocks...replaced them with bilstien and no more bottoming out

good luck!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

2 in is way too much. Your hitting the bump stops, and the sway bar end links do not have any room to travel

1 in lower in front is MAX but need to keep the cars rake in place.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
2 in is way too much. Your hitting the bump stops, and the sway bar end links do not have any room to travel

Totally agree. 2 inches is too much. Raise that car up some. If it still does it then check all your bushings, end links, etc
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 PM
ragu1585
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

never heard of the rake needing to stay in place or 2 in's being the max.

my car had no bolts in the front and had like 7 1/2in lowerin bolts in the rears with stock suspension and never had any problems like what you guys are referring too.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:04 AM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ragu1585
never heard of the rake needing to stay in place or 2 in's being the max.

my car had no bolts in the front and had like 7 1/2in lowerin bolts in the rears with stock suspension and never had any problems like what you guys are referring too.
Your car probably doesn't handle very well and you just don't know it either
Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by NZiggy
Ok so I just recently bought the eibach lowering bolts and lowered my 99 frc (z51 suspension) about 2 inches front and rear. I got the car aligned and its in the green in camber and caster just hardly red in the toe. BUT my real problem is just driving down the road or slowly backing out of the driveway, taking corners, I hear a loud popping type sound coming from any of the four wheel wells. It sounds TERRIBLE and I have no idea what it is from. The wheel isn't touching any part of the car. I have Bilstein Nurburgring shocks. Does anyone have experience with this after lowering their c5 2 inches or any input will be great!
Raise it before you damage a suspension component. The loud popping noises should be an indicator to you that there is something wrong.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=AU N EGL;1577054092] the sway bar end links do not have any room to travel

QUOTE]

AU N EGL, Pls expand on this reply. I think I have the same problem but I'm not following your comment. Visual inspection does not indicate any problem. Tks.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:31 PM
NZiggy
Advanced

I'm startig to think it is the plastic swaybar endlinks. Those are cheap anyways so I'll be replacing all four corners with the metal endlinks and most likely the sound will be fixed. Also the car handles amazing, better than before I lowered it. I'm not sure if you guys are talking about ride quality or actual handling. Adding bumpsteer should help as well. I'll be raising it back up a small bit to get more travel from the shocks
Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=flynhi;1577060328]
the sway bar end links do not have any room to travel

QUOTE]

AU N EGL, Pls expand on this reply. I think I have the same problem but I'm not following your comment. Visual inspection does not indicate any problem. Tks.

There is some great research paper published by the SAE On the corvette ride height vs handling characteristics. and aerodynamics. old paper but still very good.
http://papers.sae.org/2002-01-3333/

in short it said, to lower the FRONT no lower then 1" from the stock ride height and the cars rake must remain at 1/2" to 3/8" to keep ride quality and handling at optimal level.

The ride height and rake are measured to the lower A-Arm connection to the frame to the ground.

lowering too much limits shock travel, and bind the end links or prevents the end links from moving as well.

Bump steer is another challenge with cars too low. ie the steering just does not work well.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 03-15-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:51 PM
mfastert
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same problem but it doesn't seem as bad, although it is getting progressively worse. My car only pops when turning the wheel all the way and traveling slowly, like pulling out of a driveway or parking space. NZiggy, any update on what you did to fix the problem?

Get notified of new replies

To I REALLY need some input. loud popping with lowered C5

Quick Reply: I REALLY need some input. loud popping with lowered C5