C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running LS7 Clutch with Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Anyone running LS7 Clutch with Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel ?

Guys:

This is for my C5Z06.
My car is running heads/cam 450rwhp/430rwtq (about the same as a new C6Z06).

Is there anyone running a LS7 clutch with a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel ? Fidanza aluminum flywheel PN 198171 is designed to mate with the LS7 clutch.

I am looking for some real world experience in how it drives around town compared to stock.

I'm hearing that its noticeably improves the "peppiness" of the car (due to less rotating mass), but you need to give it more RPM's from a stop to get it going.

The rotating mass of my stock LS6 set up is 50lbs
The rotating mass of a LS7 clutch and FW is 60lbs...
The rotating mass of a LS7 clutch with a RAM Aluminum Flywheel is 50lbs.
The rotating mass of a LS7 clutch with a Finanza Aluminum Flywheel is 43lbs.

I'm NOT going with the LS7 clutch and the LS7 Flywheel for sure... Its too heavy.

I will at the minimum go with the Ram Aluminum Flywheel that keeps me at the same rotating mass I have now. I have spoken to some people and they say its just like stock drivability with no extra drive train loss.

If I go with the Fidenza Aluminum Flywheel it will reduce my rotating mass and people say you WILL gain HP to the wheels across the board and the motor revs quicker (Much more funner to drive). The only down side is that you have to give it more RPM's to start from a stop to get it going. This is due to having less inertia built up in the lighter Flywheel.

I am wondering if anyone knows what it feels like with this lighter FW from a dead stop.

Thanks everyone !
Toque
Old 05-10-2011, 02:50 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just put in the exact setup you are talking about with the Fidanza flywheel. Had it about in about a month and it just fine. I don't have as much hp as you, only about 370 rwhp but I have not noticed it needs any more RPM from a stop than before. My real test will come this weekend as I have an HPDE at Heartland Park/Topeka and I should be able to tell if I can accelerate quicker out of the corners than before. Very driveable on the street, and does seem to be a little quicker.
Tim
Old 05-10-2011, 02:56 PM
AlanC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this combination on my car. My car makes around 500 RWHP and is mostly used for HPDE type road course events, but I do use it for some street driving as well.

I'd say there is definitely a noticeable difference with the aluminum flywheel on the street. You have to give it more gas off the line when you are driving it on the street, but you get used to it. This is compounded in my case because I'm running a big cam which doesn't have a lot of torque off idle.

I don't really notice much of a difference at the track. I'm sure it revs more freely but my previous motor didn't make as much power so it is hard know how much of this is due to the flywheel change and how much is just the new motor.

If my car was street driven more often I'd probably consider going back to a steel flywheel the next time I replace the clutch.

Hope this helps!

Alan
Old 05-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys...

Your the EXACT people I wanted to hear from. REAL users, and not people with an opinion on the subject.

I have a medium sized cam which helps keep my torque up (430rwtwq/450rwhp). Hopefully that will help.

My main concern is that I would hate to miss an opportunity to put down some extra HP/TW to the wheels. I always try to reduce any rotating mass if I can when doing mods. I just don't want to do it at a cost of drastically making the car hard to drive.

I only drive it on the weekends around Dallas. Its not a daily driver in traffic.

From what your both saying ... it sounds like it will feel a little different off the line but I will get used to it easily and it will not be something I hate when driving.

Toque
Old 05-10-2011, 05:04 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

My cam is a 224/581/114 and original heads, if that helps any but I have not had any real problems on the street. As said, you will adjust quickly.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
My cam is a 224/581/114 and original heads, if that helps any but I have not had any real problems on the street. As said, you will adjust quickly.
My cam is VERY close to yours. I have LG's X1-E cam. I have AFR 205 heads though. Its good to hear someone with a setup VERY close to mine with this clutch setup too. I'm leaning towards this setup from what your saying. Sounds like its not going to be something "annoying" getting used to.

Thanks !
Toque
Old 05-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

TmillerC5

How did you find the LS7Clutch/Fidenza ran at your HDPE ?

One other question I was thinking about. How do you find the in between shifts cruising around? Do you find the RPM's drop off really fast between shifts ? Is it bothersome to you that the RPM's drop off quicker in between shifts ?

Thanks !
Toque
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Loved it at the HPDE. Car felt quicker out of the corners and seemed to have more pep. Guess that's what happens when you lose 15# of rotating mass at the crank.
Car seems to shift fine on the street but I don't push it on the street to hard. That's why I do the road race/HPDE stuff. Ireally like the feel of the flywheel. Took a little adjustment for heel/toe downshifts, don't have to rev match quite as high in the rpm range.
Tim
Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey Mark,

I ran a LS7 with the LS2 flywheel in the 460RW 346 and it was a great clutch. I've run a light RAM Dual Street with their aluminum flywheel on the 403, a SPEC 3+ with their aluminum flywheel and now an RPS Twin Lite on the 577RW 427. All the builds were/are mild and I didn't notice any real negative difference with the lighter clutches. I did notice some nice positives!

Just Do It!

Kevin
Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
Loved it at the HPDE. Car felt quicker out of the corners and seemed to have more pep. Guess that's what happens when you lose 15# of rotating mass at the crank.
Car seems to shift fine on the street but I don't push it on the street to hard. That's why I do the road race/HPDE stuff. Ireally like the feel of the flywheel. Took a little adjustment for heel/toe downshifts, don't have to rev match quite as high in the rpm range.
Tim
Good to hear Tim ! Thanks for the reply !

What else did you loose weight using ? 15 lbs is more than the 7lbs advertised for the LS7/Fidenza setup (compared to stock LS6 setup).

Toque
Old 05-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Hey Mark,

I ran a LS7 with the LS2 flywheel in the 460RW 346 and it was a great clutch. I've run a light RAM Dual Street with their aluminum flywheel on the 403, a SPEC 3+ with their aluminum flywheel and now an RPS Twin Lite on the 577RW 427. All the builds were/are mild and I didn't notice any real negative difference with the lighter clutches. I did notice some nice positives!

Just Do It!

Kevin
Thanks Kevin !
I'm getting close to ordering this stuff.
For my power level (450rwhp) it should be good for a long while.

Toque
Old 05-24-2011, 01:56 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Toque
Good to hear Tim ! Thanks for the reply !

What else did you loose weight using ? 15 lbs is more than the 7lbs advertised for the LS7/Fidenza setup (compared to stock LS6 setup).

Toque
My stock LS1 flywheel was about 28# and the Fidanza was about 13#.
One other thing I might mention is if you have not checked/replaced the rubber drive shaft couplers do that when you replace your clutch.
My car is a 97 and this is what they looked like when I changed them. They just get old and start to dry rot and then the stress of road race stuff just tears them up. They were not going to go much longer.

[IMG][/IMG]

I just put the stock couplers back in but RPM and a couple others have some polyurethane ones if you really are going to bang it around.
Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running LS7 Clutch with Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel ?

Quick Reply: Anyone running LS7 Clutch with Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel ?