C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper way to measure when lower C5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 PM
musicmankeb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Proper way to measure when lowering C5 Z06?

Hey:

Everyone seems to measure off the Z06 fenders and I think that is very inaccurate. Someone mentioned measuring from the factory jacking points on the body. So what do you think?

Also, whatever body part you suggest measuring off of, tell me how low you can go (measurement) before you mess up the suspension/handling of the car. It is a Z06

Also, a lot of guys suggest using a 6" bolt, does anyone have a part number?

Thanks.

-Kyle

Last edited by musicmankeb; 05-23-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-23-2011, 04:15 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The proper way would be using scales.

If you put a 6" bolt in the rear then you will have your car sitting on the bump stops. The car is on the bump stops in the rear when the rear tires are about 1/4" up inside the wheel well. The front has some more travel but not much.

You can lower about 3/4" before you're going to far and beginning to mess up the handling. The car will also start to ride crappy as you go lower due to it hitting the bump stops hard.

Peter
Old 05-23-2011, 04:30 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I asked the same question a few days ago as I was trying to dial in my new coil overs....I was directed to the service manual which says that ride height should be measured to the lower bolt on the A-arms. I was able to do that by getting down on my stomach. I used a little adjustable gage you can get at the hardware store and then measured it using a ruler....a little more accurate than trying to get a tape measure under the car. Also make sure you're on a level surface.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Here it is

The search feature is your friend. Here is a link to a thread that describes the measurements to the J and K dimensions (the frame at the jacking points) that you can use.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...de-height.html

These were in the 2001 manual. They aren't in the present manual, in that manual they have you using the GM tool and measuring from the ball joints to the frame. That method is accurate no matter what tires you are using. If you have tires that aren't the OE sizes that can change things.

Last edited by Solofast; 05-23-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
I asked the same question a few days ago as I was trying to dial in my new coil overs....I was directed to the service manual which says that ride height should be measured to the lower bolt on the A-arms. I was able to do that by getting down on my stomach. I used a little adjustable gage you can get at the hardware store and then measured it using a ruler....a little more accurate than trying to get a tape measure under the car. Also make sure you're on a level surface.

That's how I did it....
Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 PM
musicmankeb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the other post I got these numbers below but are they for a Z06?

Trim Height Specifications
Base, FE1, FE3, FE4-----------J Height (Curb)-----------K Height (Curb)
Service Preferred--------------153 mm (6.02 in)---------158 mm (6.22 in)
Service Allowable--------------153 mm (6.02 in)---------158 mm (6.22 in)

Also, the manual does not say how low you can be from these measurements. So if I go an inch lower, that would put the car at 5.02 front and 5.22 back? Would that be correct?

I want to hear more peoples opinion on this as far as how low you can take this car before it messes your handling up? I want to lower my 02 Z06 but not past the point where it makes the car handle bad and messes with the suspension.

Thanks.

-Kyle

Last edited by musicmankeb; 05-23-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:23 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by musicmankeb
From the other post I got these numbers below but are they for a Z06?

Trim Height Specifications
Base, FE1, FE3, FE4-----------J Height (Curb)-----------K Height (Curb)
Service Preferred--------------153 mm (6.02 in)---------158 mm (6.22 in)
Service Allowable--------------153 mm (6.02 in)---------158 mm (6.22 in)

Also, the manual does not say how low you can be from these measurements. So if I go an inch lower, that would put the car at 5.02 front and 5.22 back? Would that be correct?

I want to hear more peoples opinion on this as far as how low you can take this car before it messes your handling up? I want to lower my 02 Z06 but not past the point where it makes the car handle bad and messes with the suspension.

Thanks.

-Kyle
Just my $0.02 worth...since I'm one of those crazy people who like to closely observe and analyze, I'm always noting things like ride heights on Corvettes and Camaros, as I own one of each. I fully realize that there is a "factory spec", but to my personal observation, I don't think any two are at the exact same height when they leave the factory.

Having said that, I dropped my '01 coupe about an inch, back when it was brand new, based on what I could get by going as far as I could on the front spring bolts, then dropping the rear an equal amount, and also keeping the built in "rake".
Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I can only offer opinions in regards to having coilovers...

When I got my coilovers installed last year, I let the experts handle the settings. After installation, they set the "ride height" by approximating about how high the car should be for normal driiving but also for competitive driving (it was a racing shop that actually builds and races corvettes in various performance classes). I told them I didn't want it completely slammed, but definitely lower. After approximating the ride height, they basically started over by corner weighting and balancing the car using scales (raising and lowering each corner as needed to achieve a near 50/50 balance side to side and front to back). As a result, my front wheel well gap to the tire is actually more than the back. And my driver side rear wheel gap is slightly smaller than my passenger side rear gap. It's really about balance for me...not looks. (Although, I think it looks killer!) The result is a *very* balanced car that can stay flat through corners no matter how stiff or soft I set the coilovers. It cost me extra to do the balancing, but man, was it worth it!

Notice the rear gap is less than the front:

Get notified of new replies

To Proper way to measure when lower C5?

Quick Reply: Proper way to measure when lower C5?