C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided hose - HELP!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:22 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Braided hose - HELP!

I'm going to install the 29900 BTU B&M super cooler with braided hose. The problem is I haven't worked with braided hose before. I'm going to route the braided line from the driver side of the radiator to the factory transmission lines. I want to put nice 90 degree bends in the hose at strategic points. The problem is that I don't see any hose fittings (russell or otherwise) that will allow me to do that. Basically what I want is a -6an 90 degree hose to hose fitting, but it looks like they don't make such an animal. How do you connect hose to hose in this fashion?

Perhaps a -6an male -6an male adapter would do the trick?

Last edited by reactor2; 05-25-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 AM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

You can either use a 90° hose end and then join it with a 6an x 6an union:

Or use straight hose ends and connect them with a 90° 6an x 6an elbow:
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 PM
chevylad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought B&M coolers that big had pipe thread, but you can get a 90 degree elbow that converts from pipe thread to AN as well.

I'm not that big a fan of stainless braided. I prefer the ultra light hose or push on.

BTW, not all stainless braided are created equal. I had a project car that sat in the garage for years with a nice stainless fuel tank and braided lines throughout. Over time the gas leaked through the hose, like it leaked out of all the pores from the stainless meshed in with the rubber. I landed up replacing the whole mess a few years later and went to as much hardline as I could fit under the car.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:29 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by chevylad
I thought B&M coolers that big had pipe thread, but you can get a 90 degree elbow that converts from pipe thread to AN as well.

I'm not that big a fan of stainless braided. I prefer the ultra light hose or push on.

BTW, not all stainless braided are created equal. I had a project car that sat in the garage for years with a nice stainless fuel tank and braided lines throughout. Over time the gas leaked through the hose, like it leaked out of all the pores from the stainless meshed in with the rubber. I landed up replacing the whole mess a few years later and went to as much hardline as I could fit under the car.
I had the exact same thing happen to me on my street rod, gas was coming out of everywhere! To the OP, it will be easier and less restrictive to run smooth looping bends with the hose than to run 90 degree fittings everywhere. I've got a lot of expeerience making and using braided ss hoses. It's not hard to do but you will cut your fingers.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:48 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Originally Posted by striper
I had the exact same thing happen to me on my street rod, gas was coming out of everywhere! To the OP, it will be easier and less restrictive to run smooth looping bends with the hose than to run 90 degree fittings everywhere. I've got a lot of expeerience making and using braided ss hoses. It's not hard to do but you will cut your fingers.
If I use the Russell Full Flow 90 degree bends as opposed to the 90 degree elbos should I be overly concerned about the added restriction? For both trans lines I was thinking I would have like 6 total 90 degree bends. I can rethink that if its going to be an issue.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

I found that using a Dremel tool with thin cutting stones to cut the hose worked better than a saw which frayed the stainless steel braid wires.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Any thoughts on the number of 90 degree bends I'm planning on using? I'm using the Russell 90 degree full flow (pictured above) fittings. I plan on running no more than six 90 degree bends for the two lines (from factory lines to cooler and back). They will be the -6AN size.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:46 PM
reactor2
Drifting

I'll have to use 45s rather than 90s....which will work it just won't look as clean.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 PM
chevylad
Pro

Originally Posted by Fast one
I found that using a Dremel tool with thin cutting stones to cut the hose worked better than a saw which frayed the stainless steel braid wires.
...or a 4.5 inch grinder with a cutting wheel, just be sure to rinse the hose out. I usually pour a bit of alchohol down each direction...just not the drinking kind because that would be wasting.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Originally Posted by reactor2
I'll have to use 45s rather than 90s....which will work it just won't look as clean.
So I've changed my mind about using the 90 degree bends. I looked at the factory line and that is full of 90 degree bends, so I can't imagine a few more will hurt anything. Just having braided wire flopping around looks rushed and horrible. I'm not worried about the expense of the fittings so much as I am about the appearance (although you won't see it but I'll know its there).
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 PM
TwoValveKid
Racer

What year is your car and what fittings did you use for the stock connections on the radiator?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Originally Posted by TwoValveKid
What year is your car and what fittings did you use for the stock connections on the radiator?
Its a '98 and to go from -6AN hose ends to the radiator you need the –6 AN to 5/8 –18 inverted flare adapter.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 AM
TwoValveKid
Racer

Thats what i keep finding....what does the connector look like? Ive heard in 01 they changed to a diff one.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Black04Z06
Burning Brakes

These are what I've used in the past. It allows braided hose to a hardline.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Earls/Earls-Ha...49418/10002/-1
Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 AM
TwoValveKid
Racer

Interesting. What year car? im guessing 04? lol. And you used them to connect to the stock line up front that taps into the radiator?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Black04Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TwoValveKid
Interesting. What year car? im guessing 04? lol. And you used them to connect to the stock line up front that taps into the radiator?
No, I have not used them on my vette since my car is a Z06 . I was providing a potential hardware solution. We would bend up custom hardline in places that braided hose wouldn't fit and the attach the braided hose with the Earls fitting.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast one
A sharp chisel with a block of wood and hammer cut's braided steel lines clean and you don't have to worry about getting crap inside the line.
And you don't need to tape the line, it also reduces the risk of your sore and bleeding fingers.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 AM
TwoValveKid
Racer

Originally Posted by Black04Z06
No, I have not used them on my vette since my car is a Z06 . I was providing a potential hardware solution. We would bend up custom hardline in places that braided hose wouldn't fit and the attach the braided hose with the Earls fitting.
Ok cool. I'll have to look into them. Everyone keeps saying 5/8 -18 inverted flare for older cars. Nothing on newer.

Get notified of new replies

To Braided hose - HELP!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Braided hose - HELP!