C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Filter = Dirty Engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 08:45 AM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Default K&N Filter = Dirty Engine ?

I am hearing rumors that engines with a K&N filter become dirty internally because they are not restrictive enough. After all you cannot see inside your engine so how do you know ? But I have heard that engines that had to be torn apart for heads or cam etc. discovered this to be true. Any thoughts ? Perhaps if it is it is from improper cleaning and reoiling of the filter ? :chevy :seeya
Old 04-22-2002, 09:07 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: K&N Filter = Dirty Engine ? (5thgeneration)

Thoughts? K & N has been selling the exact technology for years. I installed my first set on a motorcycle 25 years ago. Do you think they would have sold millions and millions of them for that many years if they were causing premature failure? I've never heard that before, and would certainly be interested in hearing other experiences, though.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:36 AM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: K&N Filter = Dirty Engine ? (jschindler)

I am not saying that K&N filters are causing the engines to need to be torn apart, But I am saying that engines that were torn apart for other reasons were then discovered to have dirt inside them and had K&N filters used on them. That is the rumor. Hope this helps clarify subject. :chevy
Old 04-22-2002, 11:27 AM
yellowy2kc5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard the motor oil gets dirty a little quicker with a K&N, but again just rumor. They have been used by so many people for so many years over so many miles, I wouldn't worry much about it.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:59 PM
Chopper Larry
Le Mans Master

I'm using two K&N's, but change the oil at 3000; The oil is extremely clean to the point a friend said he would actually put it in his truck after I drained it!
Old 04-22-2002, 12:59 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: K&N Filter = Dirty Engine ? (yellowy2kc5)

K&N does not filter the smaller particles as well as the paper filter as I remember the test data I have seen from testing done in the UK. It will take more dirt prior to clogging as compared to a paper filter though. Don't know about Donaldson, never seen data on that one.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:57 PM
UFOVette
Instructor

Been using K@N filters for years without problems. Motors I have taken down showed no sighns of dirt. I also check my intake tube every time I clean my K@N I have found no dust in intake tube:cheers:
One of the reasons you have an oil filter is to collect dirt in the oil :cheers:
Old 04-22-2002, 02:58 PM
vette2001c5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of some people having problems with dirty mass air flow sensors as a result of putting too much oil on the filter, but never heard of any engine problems.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:31 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

This is basically :bs . I have used K&N filters for many years and have not had a problem. A tear-down of one engine showed it looking like new after 150K miles! Use them or get a "Blackwing for even better filtering. :)
Old 04-22-2002, 05:03 PM
daveydc5
Racer

Default Re: K&N Filter = Dirty Engine ? (carpe dm)

I put a K&N on my 1994 Z28 when it was new. I have since put 253,000 miles on it. I've never had the valve covers off and it still spins the rear wheels through second gear. With a mobile 1 oil change every 3-4,000 miles, I expect that I will have similar results with my C5.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:01 PM
wcj
Racer

Default Re: K&N Filter = Dirty Engine ? (daveydc5)

uhless things have changed since I was a mechanic I can't imagine how an air filter will affect engine oil or any internal engine part not directly related to the intake system. I can see an air filter affecting, intake manifolds, valves, internal cylinder head combustion chamber and possibly exhaust, but in order to have engine oil contamination you would have to have serious blow by the piston rings or scored cylinder walls. if dirt were able to pass from the intake to the internals of the engine, you would have to have a SERIOUS internal vacuum leak. the only other way is if the engine breather system is getting air from the air filter assbly. wcj
Old 04-23-2002, 02:17 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Default Re: K&N Filter = Dirty Engine ? (wcj)

K&N filters DO NOT filter dirt from the intake air as effectively as the stock paper filter element. This dirt will get into the engine, accelerating cylinder bore wear. Is the added wear significant? I don't know, but its not worth 5HP more for me to find out.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N Filter = Dirty Engine ?

Quick Reply: K&N Filter = Dirty Engine ?