C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The no-kidding deal on replacing the AC tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Bounty Hunter 6
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Default The no-kidding deal on replacing the AC tensioner

Replaced the idler pulley and the accessory tensioner assembly today. I had already narrowed my squeak down to the acc system and decided that at 85,000 miles, I would go ahead and replace the entire tensioner assembly rather than just the pulley on the tensioner (yes, you CAN do that, it's the same part as the idler pulley).

I ordered my parts from Gene at GMPartshouse. Wow, what fantastic service and parts arrived within 3 days! I went with GM parts because as anyone that has searched this issue on the forum knows, there is a lot of BAD advice along with GOOD advice on the forums, and you will find a dozen different part numbers for aftermarket products and no clear answer on which one really works.

Here are the parts I ordered for my 2002 A4 C5 Coupe:
12560345 - All years - C5 A/C Tensioner
12557334 - All years - C5 A/C Idler Pulley
Yes, the tensioner comes with the tensioner pulley on it

Then, I ordered my Goodyear Gatorbacks from Amazon.com; they got here in three days as well:

4060798 - main belt
4040420 - ac belt
I didn't have any squeaks from the main belt system, but thought I'd change out the belt anyway; what the heck.

TOOLS USED:
15mm open end/box end combo wrench (for pulleys)
13mm open end/box end combo wrench (for actual tensioner assembly bolt)
15mm regular socket; no fancy angled one, just a normal plain ole socket (again, tranny lines weren't really an issue, just man-handle those things; they're not fragile!)
13mm regular ole socket.

Okay, I went into this thinking it was just going to be horrible. I've read so many threads about how daunting this task was - remove from the top, remove from the bottom, use three buddies, two parrots and a baby while standing on one leg, etc.

I had already done plenty of work in the engine compartment, so I was very familiar with getting the belts off and on with no problem; that's become old hat.

I used a lift at a local place that charges $1.75 a half hour to use it and this was well worth it. I found that it was much easier to work from BOTH the top and bottom and if it would have been on jack stands it might have been a pain to work from the top with it up in the air! You COULD feasibly do it all from the top, but it seemed easier to work with the tensioner from below.

REMOVAL:
From the Top:
1) I removed the belts
2) I unclipped the tranny lines just to allow them to spread a little. I found that I didn't really need to use the tennis ball trick (put a tennis ball in between the lines to keep them open) this time, there was plenty of play.
2) I removed the ac idler pulley - easiest thing to do!
3) I removed the tensioner pully from the tensioner assembly just to get it out of the way

From the Bottom:
1) I removed the tensioner assembly and kind of left it balanced by the tranny lines and then actually pulled it out from the top. Not a whole lot of room to remove it from the bottom

INSTALLATION
From the Top:
1) I took the new tensioner assembly (with the pulley already attached) and dropped it in from the top just so that I could reach it from the bottom. (this is where having a friend WOULD help)

From the Bottom:
1) I grabbed the tensioner assembly and put it in place. Never had a problem with the tranny lines getting in the way.
2) Torqued the tensioner assembly to 37 ft lb

Back to the Top:
1) I installed the idler pulley and torqued it to 37 ft lb
2) Put the belts back on, and WALA!

I was expecting about 2 hours, and the job took no more than 40 minutes. I was almost leery because it seemed like it went on waaayy too easy. I don't have the smallest hands as a six foot, 200+ guy. The thing that took me longer was when i dropped the 15mm socket head into the battery compartment and it went all the way down to the bottom. I then had to remove part of the wheel well plastic to get to it....

Well, hopefully this will help SOMEONE, at least with part numbers and tools. Clearly not a daunting task if you have the right parts and tools. Let me know if you have any questions - I'm off to take a drive with the air condition on again!!

Glen
Old 06-11-2011, 02:31 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

i need to do this to mine.

thanks for the write up
Old 06-11-2011, 08:49 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent post. Another example of why the CorvetteForum.com ROCKS!

Subscribed
Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

What a timely post. I just got home from my friends house after doing the same thing (almost) to my 99. I did it in his garage with the car up on ramps. Easy job and it's now SILENT - oh happy day

I also changed my oil filter and swapped in my C6Z51 front bar. Total time for everything was about 2 1/2 hours working casually and talking with him while he worked on his 71 454 Vette.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:33 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Just replaced all my belts and belt tensioners too. Must be something in the air going around. No more sqeaks and chirpping on start up now!

Get notified of new replies

To The no-kidding deal on replacing the AC tensioner

Quick Reply: The no-kidding deal on replacing the AC tensioner