C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported stock throttle body worth any HP? Those that have dynoed them.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:41 PM
NH_Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported stock throttle body worth any HP? Those that have dynoed them.

I am looking around for a shop to port and polsh my stock LS6 tb. I have a stock '02 Z06 that I am just starting to do mods on.

I am wondering if porting the stock tb worth it at all.

Looking for someone who has some real dyno numbers or real solid knowledge and not just speculation on the subject.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Better throttle response is what most people will say, for a stock engine with no Mods.. The Horsepower difference will be about the same as a 5 degree difference in air temperature
Old 06-21-2011, 08:36 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, I agree. I took mine to Mark Shaner in Dallas, and he had some dyno numbers on a couple cars that indicated maybe a 4-5 HP improvement; but he touted improved response as the main benefit. He was right, no driveability issues at all, and a noticeable improvement in throttle response. It's one of those feel good mods that make a noticeable driving difference for not too much $$$ and virtually no work, but you won't see a real HP gain.

DG
Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 PM
NH_Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Wrench
Yeah, I agree. I took mine to Mark Shaner in Dallas, and he had some dyno numbers on a couple cars that indicated maybe a 4-5 HP improvement; but he touted improved response as the main benefit. He was right, no driveability issues at all, and a noticeable improvement in throttle response. It's one of those feel good mods that make a noticeable driving difference for not too much $$$ and virtually no work, but you won't see a real HP gain.

DG

That's exactly the information I wanted. I think 5 HP is not bad at all for around $100 and minimal work. The throttle response is a good thing as well.

Now all I have to do is find a good shop to do the work for me.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 01:12 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Mark Shaner is one of the best.. He will ship it to your front door.. Easy job to do yourself
http://www.s2performance.net/
Old 06-22-2011, 02:42 PM
STLSPARKY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to threadjack but If you are interested I have a BBK 80mm throttle body that is already smooth inside. $150 and u can have it
Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The Horsepower difference will be about the same as a 5 degree difference in air temperature
Could vary that much between dyno runs depending on coolant temp too.

So you guys really think theres a gain or it just feels like it because the given throttle angle vs pedal position feels different?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by The Wrench

DG
Shanner did mine years ago and I noticed a nice throttle response improvement. I soon after had heads/cam installed so I'm not sure if I got any extra HP from it or not.

I would do it again...

Toque
Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Yes, throttle response is easy to feel, but harder to quantify. The porting does increase the pedal-throw/airflow-volume relationship, so that could be what we are feeling. Feels good though.

Along those lines, I have a little Caddy SRX with the V6, that pulls like a bandit at 1/2-3/4 throttle. It shifts at lower RPM vs when the gas is floored, but I swear it must bust the electronic throttle blade wide open cause it knows you want to hustle a bit. I love it, feels like a V8 at those partial throttle openings. But, unfortunately, doesn't make any more torque when I gas it all the way, just winds each gear longer.

Perception is reality, someone said, until I try to outrun the minivan beside me.

DG
Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Oh, I forgot the main reason to have a ported TB - you absolutely cannot win a bench-race without one.

DG
Old 06-23-2011, 06:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Perception is reality, someone said, until I try to outrun the minivan beside me.

DG
Classic

i admit I did mine on my 02 Silverado yesterday.

Its like finishing off dinner til youre stuffed.
But you down more just because its there and you can .

One of those "do in advance" mods for a build down the road.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:36 PM
nyg215
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Shaner ported and polish TB and love it....noticed a difference my first drive after installing it.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:18 PM
NH_Z06
Instructor

I am going to go with a used BBK 80mm a member is selling.

I hope that will make good HP and make the throttle more responsive as well, even beyond what I could get from a good ported stock tb.

If what I have read is true, it is a good addition for the money for sure.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Greg

Last edited by NH_Z06; 06-23-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: fixed my gibberish.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 PM
NH_Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by STLSPARKY
Not to threadjack but If you are interested I have a BBK 80mm throttle body that is already smooth inside. $150 and u can have it
This is the one

Get notified of new replies

To Ported stock throttle body worth any HP? Those that have dynoed them.

Quick Reply: Ported stock throttle body worth any HP? Those that have dynoed them.