C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 AM
tak06
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default HID Headlights

Has anyone experienced any negative electrical problems by installing a HID conversion kit WITHOUT the RELAY harness installed with the kit?
I've heard that upon start up of the headlights, the power can go as high as 13 amps slowly deteriorating the wiring and electrical systems.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tak06
Has anyone experienced any negative electrical problems by installing a HID conversion kit WITHOUT the RELAY harness installed with the kit?
I've heard that upon start up of the headlights, the power can go as high as 13 amps slowly deteriorating the wiring and electrical systems.
Are you talking about the ACA projector headlights ?
I hooked mine up directly to the factory wiring, added a resistor pack, and a relay to keep the lows on when I flick on my highs. Its a cleaner install this way.... less wiring.

No issues here so far. Fingers crossed.

Toque
Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 AM
tak06
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My son has a 02Z and he has the ACA projectors without resistor or a relay, so far its working ok, even the lows when the highs are flicked on. Projectors are very nice, no glare and a sharp cutoff line.
I also have a 02Z but I'm just installing the HID's without projectors, resistor or relay, hopefully I won't have any electrical issues. According to a local HID installation retailer, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tak06
My son has a 02Z and he has the ACA projectors without resistor or a relay, so far its working ok, even the lows when the highs are flicked on. Projectors are very nice, no glare and a sharp cutoff line.
He must have run the entire harness that shipped with the kit.

Toque

Get notified of new replies

To HID Headlights

Quick Reply: HID Headlights