C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Spoke Wheel Crack

Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Barry Hanna
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2004 Spoke Wheel Crack

Took car in for a rebalance on new Michelins. I've been told by the tech that the right rear wheel is "bent". At 13,500 miles with no hard driving, I wonder if the wheel may be cracked thereby causing the runout which the tech reported as caused by a bend. Were the 04's prone to cracking? These are the polished wheels. I don't see any readily apparent cracks but I may not see them if they're on the backside of the wheel.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have seen a few threads on here in the past about Y2K's with cracks.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:42 AM
electromaggot
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '02 vert has the cracks in both rear wheels - in a couple corners where spoke meets rim. I probably should replace them for "safety reasons" but the truth is that I really don't drive the car that hard or that fast and I haven't gotten around to going to such lengths.

First saw the cracks I think in '06. A manager at Discount Tire said he saw another Corvette with similar, where the wheel/tire wouldn't hold pressure because of the crack. I took the car into the dealer and had them look at it (amid some other service). The tech wrote on the check-out sheet that they were "barely visible" and just surface cracks in the "CHROME"! Ha ha! Uh, can you say "polished aluminum"? Wow, great expertise from the certified GM dealer.

Actually I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action or that something else (like someone crashing and dying) hasn't come of these, what I firmly believe to be manufacturing defects.

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 Spoke Wheel Crack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Spoke Wheel Crack