C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood caliper direct replacement for OEM caliper

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 AM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Wilwood caliper direct replacement for OEM caliper

I did a search but could not find a answer to this question.

Like the title says. Does Wilwood make a 6 piston caliper that can simply be changed out for the OEM caliper on OEM wheels ( commemorative Z06 wheels).

For those who have seen the Wilwood BBKs. They know that the kits cost several thousand dollars, just for one end. My search and reading indicates that the stock rotors would be just frine for street applications. But the 6 piston caliper (4 on the back) would result in improved braking. The full BBKs are cost prohibitive. But the calipers themselves are much more affordable. I already have Hawk pads, Motul 600 fluid, and SS brake lines. In reality all I am missing are the Wilwood calipers.

So does anyone know if Wilwood makes a direct replacement caliper?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

No they do not. The Wilwood's are a radial mount that requires a different bracket design. Look at the LG Motorsports G Stop kit. It uses a SL6 6 piston caliper, stock size rotors and will fit under stock size C5 Zo6 wheels. Great bang for the buck !
Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 AM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
No they do not. The Wilwood's are a radial mount that requires a different bracket design. Look at the LG Motorsports G Stop kit. It uses a SL6 6 piston caliper, stock size rotors and will fit under stock size C5 Zo6 wheels. Great bang for the buck !
After I posted this I did another search. I found several references to the mentioned LG Motorsports Brake kit. But I went to their site and couldn't find it. I not sure if the kit is still available.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Caddy2006
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 12 Posts

Here ya go -- http://lgmotorsports.com/GStop-6-Piston-Brake-Package
Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLS1Rider
...My search and reading indicates that the stock rotors would be just frine for street applications. But the 6 piston caliper (4 on the back) would result in improved braking. The full BBKs are cost prohibitive. But the calipers themselves are much more affordable. I already have Hawk pads, Motul 600 fluid, and SS brake lines. In reality all I am missing are the Wilwood calipers...
- Agreed, stock rotors are fine for most usage. Fancy rotors with slots or holes look good but don't measurably improve brake performance
- Its a common misconception that increasing the number of pistons (saying from 2 > 6) improves braking. The OEM slide rail calipers have the capability to stop the car every bit as well as a $5K set of Brembos (within a few feet, given same tires, pads...etc). On the street that is, where common usage doesn't involve repeated braking from 140-60MPH every 2 minutes. Other than the bling factor, the main reason to upgrade to BBK brake systems is for track use where heat management and preventing brake fade are critical.
- Not sure how to read your statement on hawk pads and ss lines. If you are thinking that the pads you currently have will fit in any of the BBK calipers then, unfortunately they will not. Pretty much each caliper takes its own specific size of pad. Now, having said that, the pads for the Wilwood SL6 are very common and cheap, compared to the pads for the OEMs. Also, its unlikely your current SS lines will fit different calipers.
- Motul 600 is excellent on the track but gains you nothing on the street (unless you are doing serious canyon carving with heavy, repeated braking)
- Not sure what rims you currently have - there are very few aftermarket brake kits that will fit under the stock front rims. That LG SL6 kit will fit under the C5 Z06 17" fronts, but I don't think they will fit under the 17" Y2K rims for example (without spacers). The AP racing CP8350 calipers will fit under the Z06 fronts also. Other than that...I'm not aware of any.
- If you have 18" fronts with lots of rotor to spoke clearance then there are many more options.

Last edited by argonaut; 07-22-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:21 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Caddy2006
Oh that brake kit Thanks pointing me to it. It was obviously right in front of me so I couldn't see it (I think the lack of WilWood in the title threw me a little).

Having read the description it appears to be a front wheel conversion and does not include the rear? It would just seem logical that if you upgrade the front shouldn't you upgrade the rears? To keep the car balanced?

Then there is the more superficial question. My calipers are currently red powder coated. Does anyone know if the LG motorsports would supply the calipers in red?
Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Then there is the more superficial question. My calipers are currently red powder coated. Does anyone know if the LG motorsports would supply the calipers in red?
The calipers we use are only made in black. I have done a few kits in red, but I have to do the coating here after the calipers arrive.

If anyone has any questions about the kit, I'm happy to help.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 AM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
The calipers we use are only made in black. I have done a few kits in red, but I have to do the coating here after the calipers arrive.

If anyone has any questions about the kit, I'm happy to help.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll send you a PM.

Are there any comments on the second paragraph of my last post?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

No you do not need to upgrade the rear calipers. I ran the G Stop kit for 4 years on my C5Z. It solved the problems I was having with the stock caliper which was pad taper along the length of the pads which would then cause a long pedal. After 4 or 5 track sessions the brake pedal would go so low it was below the level of the gas pedal and I couldn't heel toe anymore. The pads are really thick with the G stop kit and they last a long time and also happen to be lower cost than the alternatives. I used Wilwood H on the track, Q on the street and E for autocrossing. There were matching pads for the rear. Overall a low cost, effective solution to the C5 brakes. I used NAPA Rotors and could get 3 to 4 track days out of them before they cracked which is the same as I was getting using PF 01 pads in the stock calipers.

Once I installed this kit I had confidence in my brakes. I could go into corner after corner and know I was going to have brakes without double tapping the brake pedal with my left foot while running down the straight. That allowed me to run harder and reduce my lap times.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-23-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Thanks for the feedback. I'll send you a PM.

Are there any comments on the second paragraph of my last post?
Remember most of your braking is done by the fronts. The cars do not need a huge rear brake. I do have a version of this kit, but it would be for race cars only as it would eliminate the parking brake completely.

John Shields an a few other guys have the rears on their cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood caliper direct replacement for OEM caliper

Quick Reply: Wilwood caliper direct replacement for OEM caliper