C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Default to "Competitive Driving" Mode on Startup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Default to "Competitive Driving" Mode on Startup?

Searched and couldn't find anything concrete... also posted in Scan & Tune and not getting any action.

Does anyone know if a tune is able to set the car to default to "Competitive Driving" mode automatically on startup? The guy tuning my car tonight with HP Tuners was fairly sure it was possible, but was unable to find anything.

I hate having to "press & hold" every time I think I might get on it...

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 AM
99MALLETT396
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember SLP made something like this for the F-Body 4th Gen where it would default on traction off on start up. You may want to give them a call to see if they have anything like this for the Vette.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the thing that lets you do this was called LapTrax-think they are gone now. Why do you need to be in Comp mode EVERY time you get in?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Why do you need to be in Comp mode EVERY time you get in?
Because the TC ruins my fun EVERY time I shift hard.

It's the "push & hold" that's annoying. If it could be reprogrammed even to eliminate the delay (so that one push set it to Competitive Mode) that would be a huge improvement.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Blue Angel
Because the TC ruins my fun EVERY time I shift hard.

It's the "push & hold" that's annoying. If it could be reprogrammed even to eliminate the delay (so that one push set it to Competitive Mode) that would be a huge improvement.
There's a reason GM didn't do this-bet you could guess what it is if you thought about it for a second. You want FUN, just hit the button once and turn it all off and drive like MEN used to.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:20 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the thing that lets you do this was called LapTrax
Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

There's a reason GM didn't do this-bet you could guess what it is if you thought about it for a second. You want FUN, just hit the button once and turn it all off and drive like MEN used to.
lol, I turn mine off every time I get in the car, its a habit now.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I contacted the person that did LAP TRAX and he stated that he could possibly supply a few more if needed.

I will see if I can find the PM and PM back this post. If he still has the LAP TRAX module, he may PM you or reply to the post.

Bill
Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bill! Much Appreciated!

There's a reason GM didn't do this-bet you could guess what it is if you thought about it for a second.
Really?

If you think about it for longer than a second, you'll realise GM did it wrong... it should have been one push for Competitive Driving Mode, and Push & Hold to turn the system off completely.

You want FUN, just hit the button once and turn it all off and drive like MEN used to.
MEN are usually confident enough in themselves to avoid having to PROVE themselves all the time.

I'm MAN enough to admit that when I'm having FUN I like to know that the Active Handling system is working in the background in case something should go wrong either by my own doing or by an unforeseen road condition. For the record, I've experienced BOTH. I think that's the best option, especially considering all the other MEN, WOMEN and CHILDERN who co-exist with us.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think GM made it the way it is to "CYA"... there are allot of dummies out there who would not hesitate to sue after a mistake they caused and blame it on their car...
Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SDZ06Driver
I think GM made it the way it is to "CYA"... there are allot of dummies out there who would not hesitate to sue after a mistake they caused and blame it on their car...
Yes, it is a CYA thing for sure to have the system default back to ON with every ignition cycle, but a single push for OFF and a Push & Hold for C-D Mode is backwards since C-D Mode is infinitely safer than defeating the system completely.

I think someone at GM got all caught up in the novelty of having this "wild" Competitive Mode be something not entirely obvious to the driver... "Check this out. This button turns the Stability Control System on and off, but watch what happens when I hold the button down for five seconds... Competitive Driving Mode! That sounds CRAZY, like, for racetracks and stuff!"
Old 07-27-2011, 04:45 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SDZ06Driver
Of course they are going to make the standard mode the "safest" to protect themselves from people thinking they have better driving skills than they actually do.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 PM
vegas.wr450@gmail.co
Intermediate

Bring this thread back from the dead!
Pushing the traction control button for 5 seconds every time I drive is annoying.
I found 2 ways for the system to default to Comp mode (Trac control off, Active handling ON). Not all C5's have this of course. Lap Trax is out of business, so....

Option #1. KPTechnologies Flexible Memory Module $50 http://www.kptechnologies.com/produc...odel=Universal

Option #2. Mini Time Delay From Amazon ($20). This is a cool little programable timer. Can program it to energize a circuit for 5 seconds (or more), a certain time after starting car or right away. You will need a $5 relay because the Trac button uses a ground circuit.
Amazon Amazon

Anyone try or use either? Thoughts? I found the wiring diagram for the Trac button, that's easy. Everything can be wired (3 wires) right at the BCM passenger floorboard, or at the Trac button. There are cheaper time delays on amazon with great reviews but this one was the smallest (the size of a postage stamp). Pressing the Trac button again will cancel the Comp mode for rainy days on either option.

Those little timers are pretty awesome, can be used to turn off a light in case you leave it on, or start a cooling fan after charging system stabilizes and shut it off a while after shutting down car. Very programmable.

I want to remain in Comp mode, because every time someone wants to race me, and I loose a little bit of traction, the system bogs the car TOO MUCH.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:09 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Excellent work and information! THANK YOU for all your research!

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-21-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:11 AM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

My solution is to limit the amount of timing being pulled by traction control in the tune. Rear still wants to break traction even with traction control on dry pavement. Got to be gentle with the throttle on wet pavement of course but car doesn't see wet all that often.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by enoniam
My solution is to limit the amount of timing being pulled by traction control in the tune. Rear still wants to break traction even with traction control on dry pavement. Got to be gentle with the throttle on wet pavement of course but car doesn't see wet all that often.
The problem with doing that is the PCM pulls timing at the request of the EBTCM. The EBTCM controls the Traction Control and Active Handling functions. If the PCM can't control torque sufficiently to suit the EBTCM it then applies the rear brakes as needed. You can make it impossible for the PCM to reduce torque but the system will still apply the brakes.

If you don't believe me just swap the stock front and rear wheels so the larger diameter wheels are on the front of the car. Then with traction control on let the car coast down hill in neutral with the engine idling. TC will bring the car to a stop without the driver touching the brakes.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-22-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:42 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Good information. One other wish would be to have competitive driving on and to be able to turn off the DIC message so that other functions could be viewed while in CD.

Get notified of new replies

To Default to "Competitive Driving" Mode on Startup?

Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The problem with doing that is the PCM pulls timing at the request of the EBTCM. The EBTCM controls the Traction Control and Active Handling functions. If the PCM can't control torque sufficiently to suit the EBTCM it then applies the rear brakes as needed. You can make it impossible for the PCM to reduce torque but the system will still apply the brakes.

If you don't believe me just swap the stock front and rear wheels so the larger diameter wheels are on the front of the car. Then with traction control on let the car coast down hill in neutral with the engine idling. TC will bring the car to a stop without the driver touching the brakes.

Bill
Thanks, but I'll pass on going to all of that trouble since I know that the car doesn't bog like it used to when the Traction Control Active message is displayed.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:58 AM
vincus
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Angel
Searched and couldn't find anything concrete... also posted in Scan & Tune and not getting any action.

Does anyone know if a tune is able to set the car to default to "Competitive Driving" mode automatically on startup? The guy tuning my car tonight with HP Tuners was fairly sure it was possible, but was unable to find anything.

I hate having to "press & hold" every time I think I might get on it...

Thanks!
On a C5?
Old 03-25-2017, 03:22 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I ordered one of these and installed one and it works as advertised. It is nice not to have to hold the TC/AH button down. I do have to hit the DIC reset button to wipe the display though.

Quick Reply: Default to "Competitive Driving" Mode on Startup?