C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery and cliking sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by buckg2
Still chasing this thing, I just haven't had much time to work on it. This morning after the 20 min wait I was still showing .80 amps. I got everything turned of in the car, dome lights, hvac controls, gauges, ect. I pulled fuse # 4 on the inside (SCM-L) and it dropped me to .08. What is this fuse? Also #30 and #34 DCM-R and L made the voltage drop.
SEAT CONTROL MODULE (LEFT) Someting in the seat is always ON. Multifunction switch, bladder motor , motor for a seat function,,, etc....

Thats your MAJOR drain. Something is wrong with the right door modue or a function of the door is always trying to work.

BC
Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 AM
buckg2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
SEAT CONTROL MODULE (LEFT) Someting in the seat is always ON. Multifunction switch, bladder motor , motor for a seat function,,, etc....

Thats your MAJOR drain. Something is wrong with the right door modue or a function of the door is always trying to work.

BC
So the drain that the seat is using is OK? With the #4 fuse in I can hear a cliking under the seat each time i plug and unplug the connector, nothing is running, just sounds like a relay starting up. Why would you think the problem is in the door???
Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

So the drain that the seat is using is OK?
No. Bill is trying to tell you, that it is probably the source of your problem................and it's a common issue. Unplug the seat, close up the car, and let the BCM go into sleep mode....and see what current reading you get.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lucky131969
No. Bill is trying to tell you, that it is probably the source of your problem................and it's a common issue. Unplug the seat, close up the car, and let the BCM go into sleep mode....and see what current reading you get.
I wanted to say Seat Module. If theres an active relay in the seat when you plug it in,,,,, theres a PROBLEM!!

BC
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM
buckg2
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I let it go into sleep mode with the seat connecter unpluged and the draw dropped to .05 which I'm guessing is just fine. So now I just have to diesect the seat.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I let it go into sleep mode with the seat connecter unpluged and the draw dropped to .05 which I'm guessing is just fine. So now I just have to diesect the seat.
.05 is a LOT more inspec than .80 BUT,,,,, you should be closer to .02. Once you get the seat fixed,, you can do some more isolating for the remainder of the excessive draw.

BC
Old 09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
wbhaynes
1st Gear

Default Clicking Sound

My battery also kept going dead. I also noticed when I went to charge my new battery that clicking sound you mentioned. As the battery charged the clicking stopped. So I disconnected the negative side of the battery and charged it with two amps 12V. This allowed the clicking sound to continue endlessly so I could find it. After tracing the sound I realized both headlight motors we gently trying to turn. That is the noise and thats also what is running down the battery. On my 99 I can pull out fuses 3 & 4 and the sound also immediately stops. If someone knows what is causing this I think my dead battery problems might go away.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by wbhaynes
My battery also kept going dead. I also noticed when I went to charge my new battery that clicking sound you mentioned. As the battery charged the clicking stopped. So I disconnected the negative side of the battery and charged it with two amps 12V. This allowed the clicking sound to continue endlessly so I could find it. After tracing the sound I realized both headlight motors we gently trying to turn. That is the noise and thats also what is running down the battery. On my 99 I can pull out fuses 3 & 4 and the sound also immediately stops. If someone knows what is causing this I think my dead battery problems might go away.
That theory may not be correct Your head light motors are controlled by the head light module. That module has a CURRENT SENSING circuit that turns off the output of the module when the light contacts the stops (up or down)

When the battery is basically dead and your charging it, you should remove it form the circuit and charge it.

HOWEVER,,, If the module is defective,, it has been known to cause a high current draw. The back of the module can delaminate and get water in it.

Charge the battery and reconnect the battery and you head light should erect (up or down ) where ever its sitting and after a second or so, that module should drop off that current.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 09-07-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:26 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Since much of this centers on batteries...

I am certainly no expert on these things, but I do subscribe to the following recommendations for C5 batteries. Before trouble shooting electrical and battery related issues I always like to first check that the correct battery is in the car in question.

Paul Koerner Carlisle Seminars on C5 Column Lock Issues, Electrical Issues and the Right C5 Battery

AC Delco Professional 78-6YR 700 CCA 120 RC (Part Number 19001632)
Note: 2004 C5 needs 86-6YR 700 CCA 120 RC

Annual test should yield minimum 12.5 volts and 500 CCA … this test is CRITICAL for C5 Vettes and avoiding column lock issues and other electrical problems.

Certainly there are other good batteries out there but this one flat out works for the C5. I surmise that it is critical to get at least the 700 CCA and 120 RC numbers no matter which battery make is chosen and then do the annual test as others have recommended. Starting the car is only one aspect of modern battery technology and these complex modern electrical systems.

Last edited by B747VET; 09-07-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Paul is CORRECT and for optimum electrical performance, that exact battery spec should be installed. IF,, you have a battery that has lesser specs but is still in good working condition, you can still use it.

Just be aware that it may not allow the car to sit idle the same period of time as the specified battery but for a car thats driven at least every other week or so, you would be fine.

BC
Old 11-26-2014, 12:10 AM
dtile
Intermediate

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
.05 is a LOT more inspec than .80 BUT,,,,, you should be closer to .02. Once you get the seat fixed,, you can do some more isolating for the remainder of the excessive draw.

BC
Thanks for this info Bill and others...have same issue and pulled fuse 4 and millaaamps at .20...link to purchase the relays
wow, expensive....http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...=POWER%20SEATS

I had seat apart last year and believe just 4 bolts to take seats out.
Again, thanks...

Last edited by dtile; 11-26-2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: stupid me...

Quick Reply: New battery and cliking sound