C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 11:33 PM
RedVetteMike
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats

Hello All: I just bought new Firestone Runflats. A Goodyear store that does work for the local Chevy dealer mounted and balanced the tires. I had some tire shake above 70mph. Goodyear rebalanced with no better result. I took the 97 c5 to another tire store that has an advanced Hunter balancer and the shake was less pronounced but still there. They broke one tire down, turned it but the slight steering wheel shake is still there on this 26000 mile car. Anyone had similar problems?
Old 04-28-2002, 12:57 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats (RedVetteMike)

there have been 5 or 6 posts complaining about Firestone balancing..
Old 04-28-2002, 08:27 AM
Smoke-N-Shot
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

The new Hunter balancer picks up any defect in the tire or rim. Many of the Firestones have been found to be less than stellar in manufacturing subsequently not allowing perfect balancing... Maybe a set of new skins might be in order :(
Old 04-28-2002, 08:40 AM
DPC5
Instructor

Default Re: Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats (Smoke-N-Shot)

Sound like a "out-of-round" tire, have them switched out until they find the bad one. It sounds like it was the one they had to turn.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:05 AM
Corvette Poor
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats (DPC5)

An " Out of round " is most unlikely but, it IS possible. Statistics say that
1 out of every 8000 tires are out of round.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:25 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Are these on stock wheels? It might be a wheel problem, especially if it aftermarket. Not always the tire! :smash:
Old 04-28-2002, 11:15 AM
Nekbyter
Instructor

Did they do tire matching? i.e. placing the high spot of the rim with the low spot on the tire.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:26 AM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats (Corvette Poor)

"
An " Out of round " is most unlikely but, it IS possible. Statistics say that
1 out of every 8000 tires are out of round.
"

A tire manufacturer must have done that study ;) We return brand new tires frequently for being out of round...The number is more like 1 in 50,and is more common with wider tires ;)
Old 04-28-2002, 11:49 AM
ghost.rider
Drifting

Default Re: Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats (C-5 TECH)

Always great to have C5 Tech here with the straight scoop :cheers: as opposed to tire manufacturer propaganda .

Since this does seem to be a real problem with Stones ( what a surprise :eek: ), this is just another reason ( as if I needed another reason :smash: ) to not buy Firestones.

[Modified by ghost.rider, 9:50 AM 4/28/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 12:29 AM
Vespa-Vette
Racer

Default Re: Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats (ghost.rider)

Why did you buy Firestones & not the Goodyears? Of course, the Goodyear shop is going to blame the Firestone tires. When the tires are being balanced, does the installer (tire buster - I used to be one) think that the tire is in balance before they put it back on your car? If the balancing machine is showing the tire "in-balance" without an inordinate amount of weights, maybe there is another issue? Did you have any other work done on your car just prior to or at the same time as getting the new tires?

I noticed you have the 2000 style rims. Did you use these rims prior to getting the new tires?

I haven't had any trouble with the Firestones. They don't look as good on the car as the goodyears but they're about twice as sticky and half as noisy. In fact, I know at least 12 other c-5 owners with the SZ-50's and no problems.

That's not to say that you didn't get a bad tire. Take the car to a Firestone store who can handle custom rims (i.e. can handle C-5 rims) and let them know that you're not happy and you want them to make it right. Regardless of where you bought them, they're still Firestone tires. Let Firestone try to fix or replace.

Another thing you can have done but it shortens your tire life alittle is to have the tires shaved. Thereby giving you a perfectly round tire on the rim.

Good luck. I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with the Firestones.

[Modified by Vespa-Vette, 4:33 AM 4/29/2002]

[Modified by Vespa-Vette, 4:35 AM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 12:29 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,972 Likes on 5,354 Posts

Default Re: Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats (ghost.rider)

So far from what I have seen this is a sample of one. Not really enough info to make a decision on. I bought 4 Firestone Run Flats mounted and balanced on a set of 2000 wheels from Tire Rack and the tires are perfect. One thing I have found out though. The outside tread depth is 2/32 less than than the tread depth nearer the center. As you go toward the outside of the tire there is a shelf built into the tire. It may be there to add stiffness to the outer tread blocks. In a state where you can get a ticket for too little tread depth you might get less wear from the Firestones.
Bill
Old 04-29-2002, 11:03 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,370 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats (Bill Dearborn)

Mike- Hunter makes a machine that will easily check for out -of-round tires or bend rims. I don't recall the model #, but the test is called a "Road Force Variation Test", or possibly "Load Force Variation Test." If the machine your shop used can do that, then your tires/wheels should be OK. If not, try to find someone who has the machine. Hunter will give you a shop in your area, and their website has the info also, but I don't have the URL.

Other possibility is that there is a little corrosion on the hub, or wheel, where they mate together. That can give you some shake. Have them clean it all carefully, perhaps use a dial-indicator on the rim when it is mounted to check for runout. Keep us posted.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:39 AM
rozdesign
Pro

No problems to date with my Stone RFTs. On my second set at 47K miles and love the wear and lack of noise. However, I agree with the other folks, go to a Firestone dealer and show them the problem and also bring it to Tire Rack's attention.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:49 AM
blackvette1
Instructor

I had the same problem with my Goodyear runcraps. I bought them from Goodyear and had them balance them as well. The steering wheel would shake really bad about 70. Took it back and they said everything was fine and that they were balanced correctly. So, I took it to the dealer and they said that the tires were not properly balanced and they balanced the tires themselves and now they are perfect. That was the last time I'll ever go to a Goodyear store since they can't balance the tires they sell. :mad
Old 04-29-2002, 01:42 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,525 Likes on 14,090 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not had any problem with the balance on the Firestones I have. Perhaps you could find another shop that would check the balance using the latest machine available. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats

Quick Reply: Trouble Balancing Firestone Runflats